What is this flag, and why is it flown above Old Glory?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why then? I mean by your own admission it's just a piece of cloth.

I just don't get it.

It's a symbol of something I believe in, nothing more. Uncle Sam displayed it on my right shirt sleeve for several months as well. To say that disrespect to the flag is worthy of violence or destruction of property, congratulations. You just justified the violence and destruction of property committed by Muslims over offenses to the Koran.

Many different religions have symbols representative of their religion. Most Christians understand that a cross or other symbol doesn't physically contain God and therefore, they don't worship that symbol as it's just a reminder. In fact, the book specifically talks about idolatry.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    It's a symbol of something I believe in, nothing more. Uncle Sam displayed it on my right shirt sleeve for several months as well. To say that disrespect to the flag is worthy of violence or destruction of property, congratulations. You just justified the violence and destruction of property committed by Muslims over offenses to the Koran.

Many different religions have symbols representative of their religion. Most Christians understand that a cross or other symbol doesn't physically contain God and therefore, they don't worship that symbol as it's just a reminder. In fact, the book specifically talks about idolatry.
    I understand. Thanks for the response.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wrong.
    Cristoforo Columbo noted in his diary that upon meeting the tribes in the Carribbean that he remarked they were "Una gente in Dios."

A people in God.
    In Dios.

Hence, 'indians'.
    Not sure why that myth has persisted. Probably cause it's catchier.

Sorry bro, but that's incorrect.
    Though Columbus was Italian, his letters were written completely in Spanish. "In Dios," while correct in Italian, would be "En Dios" in Spanish. The Spanish word for people is "gente," while in Italian, it is "persone." It would be odd that a letter written in Spanish, would contain a single mixed matched line of Italian/Spanish. But debunking that belief totally, is that the phrase actually never appears in any of Columbus's writings. It's urban legend.

And honestly, who would believe that a European explorer upon meeting Native Americans for the first time (a group that for the next 400 years would be seen as faithless savages) would imply that they were "In God?" In God, en dios (or in dios) implies followers (which obviously they were not); it would make more senses if the pharse "de dios," of God, to be used

Further, Columbus' mission was to find a way to the East Indies, when charged to do the job, he was given a passport written in Latin which stated Ab Partes Indie, which means "Towards Parts of India." When he arrived in North America, he belived that he had reached the East Indies from the east via the Indian Ocean, and that Africa was to his west. Believing such, he referred (not named) the people's he met as Indians. He eventually discovered his mistake, but the name "Indian" stuck.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The code is not enforcable by law. It states how the the flag should be displayed properly and respectfully. I may not agree, but it is freedom of speech.

Top Bottom