What is this flag, and why is it flown above Old Glory?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    From the U.S. Flag Code:

"No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations."

U.S. Flag Code scroll down to 175 for all your U.S. flag flying codes.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Has anyone tried knocking on his door and letting him know what he's doing wrong? I'm not defending the guy, but it might just be an innocent mistake.

I had a Guatemalan neighbor who did something similar before. Flew his heritage (Guatemalan) flag above the US flag. I bit my tongue and seethed every time I came home and saw it, and eventually asked him why he was disrespecting the country he chose to reside in.

Turns out he didn't know any better, and was happy to fix it. He just moved into a property that already had a flag pole installed and wanted to show some national and civic pride.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Don't tread on me.
    picture.php

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is the flag of deliberate disrespect. The owner should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Ugh.

Thankfully, the law doesn't allow for the arrest based on perceived slights or errors in flag protocols.
    I'm betting the guy flying the flag is just as patriotic as many of us. I agree, that flag is an eyesore, but what's preventing someone from knocking on the guys door and telling him his mistake (after all, this is INGO, and people love to educate and inform, lol). Perhaps he simply doesn't know.

One thing is certain though, if this guy is deserving of grief, then there are TONS of "flag fliers" with tattered, faded, non-spotlighted flags that KNOW better that deserve, at least, just as much grief.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The US Flag should always fly above any other flag and it should never be used for clothing or any other decorations other than it's intended purpose. :patriot:

The flag code does not require the US flag to fly "above" any other flag, as long as it occupies a senior position (its own right, the position of honor) with respect to the other flag.

The possessive form of its is still its.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Thankfully, the law doesn't allow for the arrest based on perceived slights or errors in flag protocols.
    I'm betting the guy flying the flag is just as patriotic as many of us. I agree, that flag is an eyesore, but what's preventing someone from knocking on the guys door and telling him his mistake (after all, this is INGO, and people love to educate and inform, lol). Perhaps he simply doesn't know.

One thing is certain though, if this guy is deserving of grief, then there are TONS of "flag fliers" with tattered, faded, non-spotlighted flags that KNOW better that deserve, at least, just as much grief.

Patriotic? In Mex maybe. Bad behavior by some who fly the Stars and Stripes poorly is no justification for the Mex flag being flown above it in the photo. If this person doesn't know better it just illustrates the point that many immigrants simply refuse to assimilate, learn the language or become American. they should just stay "home".

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    I visited TX once, and I swear that on a tour somewhere there, they said that the TX flag could fly the same height as the US Flag? Something about them being there own country/ territory at one point?

But that was 6 years ago and can't remember for sure.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    The flag code does not require the US flag to fly "above" any other flag, as long as it occupies a senior position (its own right, the position of honor) with respect to the other flag.

The possessive form of its is still its.

Wrong^^^^
    No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations."

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I visited TX once, and I swear that on a tour somewhere there, they said that the TX flag could fly the same height as the US Flag? Something about them being there own country/ territory at one point?

But that was 6 years ago and can't remember for sure.

That has to do with TX history and is much disputed but supposedly it was part of the deal to accept statehood. TX wanted in the Union before the War Between the States but the Union didn't want another slave state. After the War the Union wanted TX for a state and made concessions. I believe TX kept all of its public lands and reserved the right to break up into 5 states if it desired. The practice of flying the TX flag higher is common today.

Top Bottom