What is this flag, and why is it flown above Old Glory?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Arguably, what the flag is supposed to represent is already dead. Rather than worry about that, we're worried about if someone is flying the flag correctly.
    Not even close yet to being a dead Country. Why don't you help with finding good Candidates to Elect to the Legislative and Executive Branches, I don't care what their Affiliation is. All you do is sit on here and *****, gripe, moan, and complain how the Country is circling the drain and the Military is not horrible. Tradition, Heritage, History, is just some of the things that makes the United States of America and Our Military so damn good.

The fact that it took more pages to define the flag code than to create a federal government, I'd think the founders would agree with me.
    I doubt it...
    Have you read some of the Correspondences from them about the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Directions this Country might take?!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Not even close yet to being a dead Country. Why don't you help with finding good Candidates to Elect to the Legislative and Executive Branches, I don't care what their Affiliation is. All you do is sit on here and *****, gripe, moan, and complain how the Country is circling the drain and the Military is not horrible. Tradition, Heritage, History, is just some of the things that makes the United States of America and Our Military so damn good.

I doubt it...
    Have you read some of the Correspondences from them about the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Directions this Country might take?!

I did find good candidates to vote for. Very few agreed with my preference in candidates. I agree that the country isn't dead but it's a far cry to what our founders fought for.

Yes, I'm not a fan of tradition. A perfectly executed tradition is nothing without the right heart behind it.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    OK, I have a variation... What about the UN Flag...? I have a neighbor (a dyed in the wool, die hard flaunting, Chicago Liberal ) who flies both the US and the UN flags on the front of his house. (actually he only flew the UN flag for a long time until I threatened at a local neighborhood gathering to start stealing them or setting the UN flag on fire...:) )

He then started posting both. Is there any etiquette involved in the posting of the UN flag, as it really does not represent a sovereign nation, just a membership of nations...

Yes, and he does it mostly for the irritation factor....
    Idea or suggestions, or should I just leave him to his O-bama-Nation ideals?

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Saw this in Greenwood the other day. I hadn't seen that flag before but maybe some of you have? It seems like some sort of Mexican-American blend

photo4.jpg

Edit, found this sortof similar
    Raised in Two Cultures, But Uncomfortable in Both | Borderzine

iStock_000004125394XSmall.jpg

It denotes that person as having vote for Obama.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    OK, I have a variation... What about the UN Flag...? I have a neighbor (a dyed in the wool, die hard flaunting, Chicago Liberal ) who flies both the US and the UN flags on the front of his house. (actually he only flew the UN flag for a long time until I threatened at a local neighborhood gathering to start stealing them or setting the UN flag on fire...:) )

He then started posting both. Is there any etiquette involved in the posting of the UN flag, as it really does not represent a sovereign nation, just a membership of nations...

Yes, and he does it mostly for the irritation factor....
    Idea or suggestions, or should I just leave him to his O-bama-Nation ideals?

The only place in the world where the flag of the 'United Nations' dictators' club is given greater prominence than ours, under law, is UN headquarters in NY, NY.

And even that pisses me off.
    Why couldn't Sandy have hit the right people instead?
    Would have been quite a message to the world if Bloomberg's palace and UNHQ were the sole things demolished, hm?
    Instead, devastation to our countrymen, stonewalling by the government, and prospering by the dictators. This will not stand.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    they died for an ideology not a pice of cloth.

Are you familiar with the flag bearers on battle fields of yesteryear? Rest assured some of them died carrying that flag because they were carrying that flag.

If the Flag is just a piece of cloth (or nylon/polyester if you've got the Made in China version), then the Constitution is just a piece of paper.

We shouldn't be surprised at some of the responses. National pride is a four-letter word to some.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Wrong^^^^
    No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations."

Did you even read my post before you posted this? The posted text says exactly what I said, that the U.S. flag doesn't have to be higher, but that it does need to occupy the position of honor. You told me I was wrong, and then posted a quote that said the same thing I already said, with more words. Which is it?

I already know the answer, since I have served on a color guard before. The U.S. flag doesn't have to be taller, but it does need to be on the right. Which is what I said.

This isn't an accident.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Disrespectful of our country and desecration of our symbols. Do the same stunt in Mexico and the local police will give you a beat down.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Please define ....

.... "native American." Congress has falsely claimed that the "indians" here when Columbus "discovered America" (he didn't discover America) are the truly legal ones. But it has been shown that there were other nations here before that -- some from Europe. I'm "Native American" and you may also be. Most of it is fraud. Even being born here, from illegal parents does not make YOU LEGAL, any more than BEING BORN of illegal parents IN ARBY'S MAKES YOU ROAST BEEF. (Intentional) EBG
    PS. Europeans came to this country and refused to assimilate, learn the language, or peacefully live with the Native Americans. Maybe they should have just stayed "home" too.
    Again: define "Native American."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    .... "native American." Congress has falsely claimed that the "indians" here when Columbus "discovered America" (he didn't discover America) are the truly legal ones. But it has been shown that there were other nations here before that -- some from Europe. I'm "Native American" and you may also be. Most of it is fraud. Even being born here, from illegal parents does not make YOU LEGAL, any more than BEING BORN of illegal parents IN ARBY'S MAKES YOU ROAST BEEF. (Intentional) EBG
    Again: define "Native American."

Huh?.... no, double huh?

Columbus was looking for a quicker trade route to India, hence why he called the first people he discovered "indians."

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Huh?.... no, double huh?

Columbus was looking for a quicker trade route to India, hence why he called the first people he discovered "indians."

Wrong.
    Cristoforo Columbo noted in his diary that upon meeting the tribes in the Carribbean that he remarked they were "Una gente in Dios."

A people in God.
    In Dios.

Hence, 'indians'.
    Not sure why that myth has persisted. Probably cause it's catchier.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If the flag is just some thread and nylon. Then why did we salute it as a member of the Military. I mean, it's just some worthless material right? It's what the flag stands for. Even if we may live in a time that does not reflect what it stands for. It's no doing of our National Ensign. Some people fly one because they think it's the "cool" thing to do. I fly one because I still believe in what it stands for. I still believe in those that shed blood for it. I was told to take mine down, and they called it yard art, it's not yard art. If you don't believe in what it represents, then you don't have to fly it. If you are going to fly it, show it the respect it deserves. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Top Bottom