KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    They want to rename (back to) Orange County...
    Dang it that's disappointing. Was hoping for Tiny Tim Intercontinental.
    Tiny Tim was from New York and played the Ukulele. He'll be redacted from all history after all the statues come down.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    MSflag.jpg

The Repulican governor of Mississippi has said that he will sign a bill to change the flag. Looks like the stars and bars are going bye-bye.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mi...ing-confederate-battle-emblem-from-state-flag

So they will end-up with a reversed Dutch flag? :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They're going to add "In God We Trust". So I'd give it a week or so before the atheists start protesting that choice.

Yep, not the best choice if they want to avoid offending large groups of people.

Not to mention they will also offend the non-English speakers with a sentence in English. :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yep, not the best choice if they want to avoid offending large groups of people.

Not to mention they will also offend the non-English speakers with a sentence in English. :):

They could always word it in Latin. Deo confidimus

You'd be hard pressed to find atheists/agnostics in Missippi. My experience was lots of Baptists and Pentecostals in the northern half of the state. Plenty of Catholics too, but they dominate more in the southern half. On Sundays you can't find many radio stations on the dial that don't have church services aired. God is something nearly universally believed regardless of race there. If they want In God We Trust on their flag, whatever.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

You'd be hard pressed to find atheists/agnostics in Missippi. My experience was lots of Baptists and Pentecostals in the northern half of the state. Plenty of Catholics too, but they dominate more in the southern half. On Sundays you can't find many radio stations on the dial that don't have church services aired. God is something nearly universally believed regardless of race there. If they want In God We Trust on their flag, whatever.

Georgia did the same thing, removed the Confederate Flag from their State Flag and added "In God we trust".

They changed it in 2003.I didn't know it was that resent.

I'm also surprised Mississippi lasted 126 years with their current flag before people were finally offended by it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Georgia did the same thing, removed the Confederate Flag from their State Flag and added "In God we trust".

They changed it in 2003.I didn't know it was that resent.

I'm also surprised Mississippi lasted 126 years with their current flag before people were finally offended by it.
    I kinda think people had to be reminded that they need to be offended by it. Missippi is probably one of the most racially integrated places I’ve ever lived. That’s not to say it’s highly integrated. It’s a low bar.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

From what I've seen, atheists don't necessarily have to live in the area of that which they find offensive. Now I should qualify that. I'm not talking about the "live and let live" type of atheist, like some of the INGO members we have. I'm talking about the extremists that just can't stand to see anything theological anywhere whether it affects them directly or not. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that someone in California would object to Mississippi putting it on their flag.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    From what I've seen, atheists don't necessarily have to live in the area of that which they find offensive. Now I should qualify that. I'm not talking about the "live and let live" type of atheist, like some of the INGO members we have. I'm talking about the extremists that just can't stand to see anything theological anywhere whether it affects them directly or not. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that someone in California would object to Mississippi putting it on their flag.
    If such a thing happened in Missippi, while it’s possible some transplanted atheist might have the gall to stand up and demand it, any serious backing would come from outside of the state. Atheists are as rare as condoms in Missippi.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Nowadays especially with the internet everybody is like that.Not just atheists.
    They see something online, get offended and voice their opinion online.
    Even if they live half way across the globe and are not impacted in any way by whatever offended them.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Back when Georgia changed their flag they pulled what I think is one of the greatest practical jokes ever. They literally removed the Confederate battle flag that people were complaining about and then copied the Confederate National Flag, aka "Stars and Bars." People don't know what that flag actually looked like, they usually refer to the battle flag as the "Stars and Bars" which is incorrect, someone just did that up-thread in fact. It's funny how you can fly the actual "Stars and Bars" all you want and no one will complain because they don't know what it is. I have talked to park rangers at Civil War battlefields that have told me that they switched from one flag to the other at the entrance specifically because people complain about the one, but ignore the other.

Here is the current, revised, "acceptable" Georgia flag:

1200px-Flag_of_Georgia_%28U.S._state%29.svg.png

Here is what the actual "Stars and Bars" Confederate National Flag looked like"

1024px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861%E2%80%931863%29.svg.png

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I call them "evangelical atheists". They don't believe in any god and don't think anyone else should either.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I call them "evangelical atheists". They don't believe in any god and don't think anyone else should either.

e·van·gel·i·cal

/ˌēvanˈjelək(ə)l/

adjective
    adjective: evangelical

Of or according to the teaching of the gospel or the Christian religion.

Not sure how one could be an "evangelical" atheist, given the meaning of the word evangelical.

Now, if you are using the term "evangelical" to mean arrogant, pushy and annoying, then yes, you are correct in your definitions.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    e·van·gel·i·cal

/ˌēvanˈjelək(ə)l/

adjective

Not sure how one could be an "evangelical" atheist, given the meaning of the word evangelical.

Now, if you are using the term "evangelical" to mean arrogant, pushy and annoying, then yes, you are correct in your definitions.

How about “Militant Atheists”, then?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    e·van·gel·i·cal

/ˌēvanˈjelək(ə)l/

adjective

It’s meant to have that meaning. In their quest to destroy god in everyone’s lives they have made it a religion itself

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom