Not open for further replies.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    One commonality in all these situations that seems to be over looked by the BLM movement is that most have died being non compliant with the officers. I see a pattern.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    What 1911ly said. I've only seen proof of one incident where a man was shot with his hands raised up and no gun. That was definitely officer error. The rest of the time the folks just didnt do what the police told them to do. Why not? Compliance with law enforcement keeps a feller alive.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It's funny you should mention that, because it's none. Notice I didn't say "excessive force." You should know by now, I've very careful with my words. They typically use the amount of force they are legally able to use. But there are times when they don't use the amount of force legally available to them. I see a disparity on the when and whom it's applied.
    What do you think is(are) the reason(s) for this?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What 1911ly said. I've only seen proof of one incident where a man was shot with his hands raised up and no gun. That was definitely officer error. The rest of the time the folks just didnt do what the police told them to do. Why not? Compliance with law enforcement keeps a feller alive.

So you're ok with the guy who got shot in the back running away?
    or
    the guy who was getting his driver's license and caught a few rounds?
    or
    the guy in the Wal-Mart holding the gun shot in the aisle?
    or
    the guy who had the gun placed to his temple?
    or
    the kids (5th graders) who had a gun pulled on them in their backyard, while building a treehouse?
    or
    beating to a pulp a woman on the highway?
    or
    the guy who got shot in the stairwell because he startled an officer?
    or
    the elderly man killed during a "welfare check" after he wouldn't open the door?

That falls into "the rest of the time," for you?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What do you think is(are) the reason(s) for this?

Truthfully, I think some officers are just scared. I think it's particularly evident when the officer is someone that hasn't had much exposure to minorities in their personal life before joining up. Most of the time officers are just as nice to anybody, when there's not a problem. But if there is a problem, and they are met with the smallest amount of resistance/opposition (not necessarily physical), it's clamped down immediately (it it's a person of color).

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Truthfully, I think some officers are just scared. I think it's particularly evident when the officer is someone that hasn't had much exposure to minorities in their personal life before joining up. Most of the time officers are just as nice to anybody, when there's not a problem. But if there is a problem, and they are met with the smallest amount of resistance/opposition (not necessarily physical), it's clamped down immediately (it it's a person of color).

Kut do you think that could also happen the other way around?? I had an experience back in the 80's where I felt that a little with a black cop...If we ever meet face to face I'll tell you about it but I don't want to post it...To be fair to the officer I may have had a "Dern tootin' I'm Rebel" license plate that I had picked up in Gatlinburg...I had it on the front of my truck as our H.S. mascot was a "General" and I was a Yosemite Sam fan and I may have kept it on for a couple of years after High School.......

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut do you think that could also happen the other way around?? I had an experience back in the 80's where I felt that a little with a black cop...If we ever meet face to face I'll tell you about it but I don't want to post it...To be fair to the officer I may have had a "Dern tootin' I'm Rebel" license plate that I had picked up in Gatlinburg...I had it on the front of my truck as our H.S. mascot was a "General" and I was a Yosemite Sam fan and I may have kept it on for a couple of years after High School.......

Oh completely. A lot of people bring their perceptions along with them in their occupations. It wouldn't be shocking at all to see a black officer from a large metro PD, being not so friendly with a guy who had a Confederate Battle Flag sticker, and wearing a camo hat differently than he would someone else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Seen this myself 1st hand.
    Situation best shared FTF as the armchair coaching staff may not follow along very well.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It wouldn't be shocking at all to see a black officer from a large metro PD, being not so friendly with a guy who had a Confederate Battle Flag sticker, and wearing a camo hat differently than he would someone else.

Wow...I must have already told you that story....:)

We actually ran into each other a couple of years later when I was a loan officer...We had a good talk and he understood where I was coming from and I understood where he was coming from...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wow...I must have already told you that story....:) We actually ran into each other a couple of years later when I was a loan officer...We had a good talk and he understood where I was coming from and I understood where he was coming from...

Lol, no. But think on that for a second. Now let's say the driver's black and the officer is white. He has the thoughts that most violent crime is committed by black people, that this person probably doesn't have a job, and if they do they got it from AA, more than likely this person believes in reparations, and probably thinks police are corrupt... and let's top it off with them having a BLM sticker on their car. Let's assume the officer is on the more conservative end of INGO membership. Do you think bias may play a role?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Lol, no. But think on that for a second. Now let's say the driver's black and the officer is white. He has the thoughts that most violent crime is committed by black people, that this person probably doesn't have a job, and if they do they got it from AA, more than likely this person believes in reparations, and probably thinks police are corrupt... and let's top it off with them having a BLM sticker on their car. Let's assume the officer is on the more conservative end of INGO membership. Do you think bias may play a role?

Yes...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Who do we blame?

The Sahara Desert...It split Africa in two and the ones trapped on the north side and the south side have spent the last 40,000 years trying to convince each other they are not the same people...

My wife's grandfather remarried after her grandmother passed away...He remarried a gal from Brazil who was of Carib Indian and African descent...She is the ONLY grandmother my wife ever knew as her biological grandmother died in her mid twenties...They had one daughter together and a family portrait shows the complete range of humanity...My mother in law looks like Angela Merkel and her little sister looks like a skinny Etta James....Abuella looked a lot like Etta James....She was here visiting when 9/11 happened and she was livid...Not because she was stuck but because of what had happened...She wanted to show solidarity with me and we had a language barrier...I remember a couple of weks after 9/11 she said "Ricardo...Rifle de John Wayne/Davy Crockett..Get for mi por favour..." I handed her my long rifle and she planted herself in my rocking chair she liked and said "Photo por favour" and she made this real mean face scowling at the images of the hijackers they were running on the news that night...I snapped a photo of her...It's one of my wife's favorite pictures of Abuella...If I can find it I will scan it and post it...It's a neat still life of a moment in time....

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

People are people, regardless. Black are just as guilty as white. The difference is the power disparity. If you were to ask me if the roles were reversed, would this still occur, I would say so without hesitation. BUT, regardless what anyone says we are trending to a better place. It may not be in our lifetimes, but we'll get there eventually.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Sahara Desert...It split Africa in two and the ones trapped on the north side and the south side have spent the last 40,000 years trying to convince each other they are not the same people...

The concept of race really had no meaning until I think the 17th (or maybe the 15th) century. Race has proven to be a one of best "divide and conquer" instruments, second only to religion.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you think after president Trump takes office, we can get back to just being people again? Not black, not white, just people, like before we elected the divisive president eight years ago?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Do you think after president Trump takes office, we can get back to just being people again? Not black, not white, just people, like before we elected the divisive president eight years ago?

I think we are about a hundred years out brother....Humor may heal the divide.....I saw many a record collection in rural Kentucky back in the 1970's that had Richard Pryor and Redd Foxx albums right next to the Jerry Clower and Best of Hee Haw albums....Comedy will be the way...Dave Chappelle had a chance.....I think it scared him to have that put on him so much that he just bailed....

That's just an opinion mind you...I may be off base but my southern rural white grandpa bought every Richard Pryor and Redd Foxx album that came out....I asked him once why he liked them so much...He told me "They ain't afraid to tell the truth and neither one gives a &^%$ about what people may think about that..."

His favorite Redd Foxx joke was when Redd said "I retreated so fast in that battle I wuz passing up the Generals in the rear...And I mean they were WAY in the rear...." Papaw was a WW 2 vet and he would laugh his butt off when Redd Foxx would talk about that stuff...What's funny is I don't think Redd Foxx was even in the war...Didn't matter...Papaw just thought he was not afraid to tell the truth....

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

Only if everyone that promised to leave the country actually keeps to their word.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    People are people, regardless. Black are just as guilty as white. The difference is the power disparity. If you were to ask me if the roles were reversed, would this still occur, I would say so without hesitation. BUT, regardless what anyone says we are trending to a better place. It may not be in our lifetimes, but we'll get there eventually.

LANGUAGE warning......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ik8vNGV64Q

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph