Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not violent. Acted against/toward state agents. And as far as I'm aware (at least in the BLM dispute), no intent to influence an audience wider than those with whom they engaged.

So, no: of all the ways you could describe them and their actions, "terrorism" isn't among the descriptors.

Is there a difference between violence and threat of violence WRT the definition of terrorism?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Protesters just exercising their Constitutional right to throw journalists into flames.

Report: Charlotte Protesters Tried to Throw Photographer Into a Fire | Mediaite

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of throwing the press into a fire; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. James Madison's original draft of the 1st amendment (OK, probably not)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Observation: professional rioters would rather go go to Charlotte than Tulsa.

NN’s Erin Burnett tweeted today that she had learned how many of those who were arrested at the protest last night in Charlotte, North Carolina, were from other states
    Charlotte police sergeant tells me 70% of ppl arrested last night had out of state ID
    CNN?s Burnett Share That Most Arrested NC Protesters Were From Out of State | Mediaite

Why don't they just stay home and riot?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Breaking into a secured building, and threatening armed resistance against LE personnel if they try to remove them isn't violence? There's no mention of acting against "state agents," in your criteria, only military. They also held a rally in the county to bring attention to their struggle. I'd call a rally, "an attempt to influence a wider audience."

Breaking and entering is criminal, not terrorism. There is a difference between threatening passive resistance in defense, and committing active violence. (Keep in mind, please, that I am merely arguing that the acts were not terrorist; NOT that they were not wrong and/or criminal.) I will concede that in that difference, there is certainly a fine line between criminal and terrorist, and their actions at least flirted with that line. As for them holding a press conference: is it not fair to say that their issue was at the county level, and therefore their county-level audience was not disproportionate to their cause?

(And full disclosure: I never really followed what happened in that whole situation. I could be wrong about it, and you can certainly convince me of that.)

Police officers are non-military/non-combatant civilians. Acts of violence committed against them for political purposes absolutely are terrorism. There is a reason that my facebook profile picture has remained my blue porch light ever since the attacks against police officers in Dallas: because such acts are terrorist acts, and because they have continued.

And if that's the litmus test, then one would ask if the Ft Hood shooter shouldn't be considered a terrorist then (which I do consider him to be), because he targeted a military installation and his victims being military.

That ***wipe's targets were, by definition, non-combatants. He attacked disarmed victims at a dining hall at a military base in a non-combat setting.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, but there is a difference between unjustified violence and justifiable, armed self-defense.
    I'm not going to sign up to say they were terrorists either--sides tend to over apply that. But you kinda don't get to claim self defense when you've conducted an armed takeover takeover of a public "park".

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm not going to sign up to say they were terrorists either--sides tend to over apply that. But you kinda don't get to claim self defense when you've conducted an armed takeover takeover of a public "park".

Again, I didn't follow it that closely, and can easily be convinced I'm wrong. But as I understood it, wasn't it an unoccupied building?

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Stealing and looting cash registers from local businesses is not a legitimate form of protest
    A “protester” shooting another “protester” is not a legitimate form of protest.
    Physically attacking reporters is not a legitimate form of protest.
    Throwing rocks off bridges at passing vehicles full of families is not a legitimate form of protest
    Beating up innocent people in parking lots because they’re white is not a legitimate form of protest.
    Smashing up apartment windows where black people live to “protest” in favor of ‘Black Lives Matter’ is not a legitimate form of protest.
    Trashing your own neighborhood is not a legitimate form of protest.
    Looting the Charlotte Hornets team store so you can steal basketball merchandise is not a legitimate form of protest
    Attempting to hijack cars and terrify their innocent occupants is not a legitimate form of protest.

source: The Charlotte Riots: What They Are Not Telling You | Zero Hedge

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Every single one of them should be arrested with any force necessary.

i85riots.jpg

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Every single one of them should be arrested with any force necessary.

i85riots.jpg

Looking at the pictures, the 'mobs' don't seem THAT large. A few people, with the police taking a low-key approach, can cause a LOT of mischief.

I wonder at the height of the riots in various cities just how many people have been involved, and what percentage of those were imported to cause trouble?

If the authorities had a green light to disperse these folks, how long would the riots last?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom