• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I thought we agreed to use thugs instead of terrorists?

Or perhaps we shoudl use the term "Thuggee"? (From teh Indian sub-continent...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee

Thuggee or tuggee (Hindi: Nepali ठग्गी ṭhaggī; Urdu: ٹھگ‎; Sanskrit: sthaga; Sindhi: ٺوڳي، ٺڳ‎; Kannada: ಠಕ್ಕ thakka) refers to the acts of Thugs, an organised gang of professional robbers and murderers. Thugs travelled in groups across the Indian sub-continent for six hundred years.[SUP][1][/SUP] Although the Thugs traced their origin to seven Muslim tribes, Hindus appear to have been associated with them at an early period. They were first mentioned in Ẓiyā-ud-Dīn Baranī's History of Fīrūz Shāh, dated around 1356.[SUP][2][/SUP] During the 1830s, the Thugs were targeted for eradication by Governor-General of India, William Bentinck and his chief captain, William Henry Sleeman. Thugs were apparently destroyed by this effort.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]
    To take advantage of their victims, the Thugs would join travellers and gain their confidence; this would allow them to surprise and strangle the travellers with a handkerchief or noose. They would then rob and bury their victims. This led to the Thugs being called Phansigar (English: using a noose), a term more commonly used in southern India.[SUP][4][/SUP] The word "Thuggee" derives from the Hindi ठग (ṭhag), which means "deceiver". Related words are the verb thugna ("to deceive"), from the Sanskrit स्थग (sthaga "cunning, sly, fraudulent") and स्थगति (sthagati, "he conceals").[SUP][5][/SUP] This term, describing the murder and robbery of travellers, is popular in South Asia and particularly India.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Armed rebellion is different than terrorism.

To your point above, if ISIS had stayed with trying to carve out a country of their own where they are, there would be some similarities. Instead they are attacking civilians in other countries. Did the American rebels blow up English civilians in jolly 'ole England?

I present to you the definition given for terrorism.

the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

and follow it up with what I said earlier:

Keep in mind, I'm using "terrorism," not in the way I view it, but according to the litmus test that others have.

That definition fits perfectly. I'm not really comparing the ISIS to the US, that was a one off, because there are some similarities. What I'm more interested in, is the logic of calling rioters, terrorists.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The cop was white. And bald. And he executed him. And it was a book.

Eyewitness Claims Keith Lamont Scott Executed By White Cop

So this could just be another "Hands up don't shoot" thing.

Or not.

This is getting so old. The use of the media to incite riot for no other reason than to riot.
    Can we get all the facts lined up before we blow up the area with BS.

This will play out with time but until then the idiots nuts and thugs have free reign to run amok with no restraint.
    Did I hear the news right this morning that only 1 person was arrested last night in the chaos these fools put on the citizens.
    1 arrest. Seriously.

We have lost the rule of law which I believe is the underlying reason for all of the crap they are spewing.
    If it is different I am sure to be set right by someone.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Did I hear the news right this morning that only 1 person was arrested last night in the chaos these fools put on the citizens.
    1 arrest. Seriously.

... If that's true, that's completely unacceptable.

Fires, vandalism, looting, assault, and murder.... Surely there had/has to be more arrests upcoming.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ... If that's true, that's completely unacceptable.

Fires, vandalism, looting, assault, and murder.... Surely there had/has to be more arrests upcoming.

I was listening to the news while driving and this is what was said. I have not researched this as yet but hey, is that not why we have "YOU".......:cool:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    After the British were gone, the colonist started their own bit of terrorizing

Kut (thanks Printcraft for walking into that one)

It was not quite so simple Kut...I have researched the post Revolutionary War period extensively...First person accounts by both native and white...The natives that killed 15 women and children and 8 men here in Clark County in 1812 (Pigeon Roost) were from up around the Great lakes region...The Iroquois had slaughtered, raped, and pillaged their way in to power until they had an empire that rivaled the size of Rome's....Against other natives (Why do you think Chingachgook was "The Last of the Mohicans?)....

I know it's popular to blame the European and African settlers for the horrendous events that took place on the frontier but it's not exactly accurate....Two key players in the siege at Boonesboro were of African descent, Pompeii, a run away slave who joined up with the Shawnee taunted the settlers while a slave (whose name is lost to history) lost his life helping put out the fire from inside the fort....An early frontiersman and scout through the gap was the child of a slave and the slaveholders wife...The wife left after the child was born to start a new life but the slave owner raised the child as his own...When he turned 18 his adopted father said he should head to the frontier as the frontier was more forgiving to one of mixed race and he became a very prominent scout out of Martin's Station, VA (which is the gateway through the Gap)....Every account I have read of him states that he was treated with great respect by all who knew him...That whole "content of one's character" thing we should all strive for....

My ancestors who came down the Ohio River on flatboats or through the Cumberland Gap in Kentucky were not terrorists...They were poor people coming to a land nearly empty (Kentucky had no permanent native settlement at the time, neither the northern tribes nor the southern tribes had any claim on it...I.E. the Shawnee were originally from near the Suwanee river in Florida and took Ohio from the local natives in the early 18th century..They would, however, on occasion hunt in Kentucky...More settlers were killed during the Revolutionary war period on the Ohio River than in all of the battles in the east during the same period...) Calling these people "terrorists", even if I accept (which I do not) that they were on the land illegally is like calling illegal immigrants from south of the border "terrorists" because they are coming here for a better life and will defend their home if someone attacks them...If you are not willing to do that I would hesitate to call people (who are deceased and can not defend their honor) "terrorists" just because they came from northern Europe or Africa...They were just trying to get by and make a go of it as well...

IMHO and here is a couple of links on the history of the region.....

PigeonRoost01.JPG

I have native blood...Many of us from around here do....After the settlement of Kentucky many natives friendly to the Americans DID move into Kentucky (and were in Southern Indiana until the 1836 removal....) Many families had son's that married native girls and (though less common) visa versa....Many Europeans, Africans, and Natives mixed it up when it came to matters of the heart....The east coast rules and mores did not apply on the frontier so much....

Neat article on recent excavations at Boonesboro...You know Alabama History...The Fort Mim's massacre's victims where white, red, black and any combo of the three...The one's attacking them were just red...As I said, the frontier is a bit more complicated than "colonists are terrorists" and not all folks of African descent on the frontier were there against their will...Free people of color went to the frontier for the same reason everyone did..A place where you would be judged on deeds rather than skin tone....

http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/tom-eblen/article44377209.html

http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1121

Everything I just said falls to pieces after the Civil War and the march west....One can make the argument then that the US Government got into the genocide business....It just doesn't hold water in the early years of the Republic...The Iroquois played France and England like a piano for nearly 200 years...They were not simple woodsman peacefully smoking kinikinik until the mean old white folks came in..They were statesman, warriors, and philosophers on par with any one in Europe at that time...And proved their mettle on more than one occasion.....

I have an extensive library on this subject kut...It's an amazing time in history...

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So this could just be another "Hands up don't shoot" thing.

Or not.

This is getting so old. The use of the media to incite riot for no other reason than to riot.
    Can we get all the facts lined up before we blow up the area with BS.

This will play out with time but until then the idiots nuts and thugs have free reign to run amok with no restraint.
    1 arrest. Seriously.

We have lost the rule of law which I believe is the underlying reason for all of the crap they are spewing.
    If it is different I am sure to be set right by someone.

I will not be surprised if this turns out to be a "hands up don't shoot" type situation. The sad thing is even when it was proven the witnesses were lying, the public still kept with the false story and have used it to fuel the crap storms like this one in NC. Police are guilty until proven innocent. And then they refuse to believe the real truth because it does not promo the agenda. That agenda seems to be "cops just want to kill black people".

I have biracial nieces. I have talked to them about LEO's and what to do in a situation when they are asked to comply and there responses scary the sh"t out of me. They think they will be beaten by cops. When I talk to them about it and ask them why they think that way I here 'my friends tell me it happens all the time". I ask for proof and I get a blank stare.

They assure me they will not comply. My idiot niece (Their Mother) promotes their behavior. They think it is safer to flee and resist. It's just stupid. It's scary and that mentality needs to change, stopped some how.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will not be surprised if this turns out to be a "hands up don't shoot" type situation. The sad thing is even when it was proven the witnesses were lying, the public still kept with the false story and have used it to fuel the crap storms like this one in NC. Police are guilty until proven innocent. And then they refuse to believe the real truth because it does not promo the agenda. That agenda seems to be "cops just want to kill black people".

I have biracial nieces. I have talked to them about LEO's and what to do in a situation when they are asked to comply and there responses scary the sh"t out of me. They think they will be beaten by cops. When I talk to them about it and ask them why they think that way I here 'my friends tell me it happens all the time". I ask for proof and I get a blank stare.

They assure me they will not comply. My idiot niece (Their Mother) promotes their behavior. They think it is safer to flee and resist. It's just stupid. It's scary and that mentality needs to change, stopped some how.

When people reproduce that should not (not legally but just being a ****ing group of idiots) this mentality will be the norm.

I have to smack my hands and bite my tongue before posting in these threads. My feelings are deep and I know how far down the rabbit hole we have fell as a society. We can barely see the light anymore.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When people reproduce that should not (not legally but just being a ****ing group of idiots) this mentality will be the norm.

I have to smack my hands and bite my tongue before posting in these threads. My feelings are deep and I know how far down the rabbit hole we have fell as a society. We can barely see the light anymore.

Yep, my neice got involved with a low life thug. The guy already had kids with multiple other girls but my niece assured me he really loved her. :faint: She has since had a steady string of shady characters in and out of her life. White and black. She has had a few guys I liked and thought she might have a chance with. Then she is single again for what ever reason. Mean while she has 4 kids with not a lot of stability in there lives. I fear that the moms life stye will carry over to the kids. The way the mom has lived is not how she was raised. She got with the wrong crowd and went down the wrong path. One of my nieces seems really smart and I think she has a chance. I am hopeful she will inspire the rest of the family.

I love my nieces. I care about them and I worry about them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The American Revolution seems like a pretty good example. It fits completely within the definition of terrorism. So I guess terrorism is in our heritage.

I think that's a facile view of terrorism. Essentially you can say all war is terrorism, yet terrorism is actually narrower than that. The idea of real terrorism isn't simply employing violence to achieve a political goal. Terrorism is commit usually random acts of violence so horrific so as to strike terror into the hearts of the people, to make them think nothing makes them safe from that violence. It is most simply a tactic to turn people for or against an idea through fear. It can be part of an overall strategy in a war, but it is not synonymous with war.

Another point, the people who employ these tactics within a broader sphere of war are not necessarily "terrorists". We used terrible acts against Japan, as just one strategy to get them to end the war. Japan used terrible acts against us, as just one strategy to win a war. The Revolutionaries used terrible acts against the British and the British used terrible acts against us. We don't typically call any of them "terrorists" unless we have some other political statement we want to make by forcing a sort of definition that doesn't really apply.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I present to you the definition given for terrorism.

the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

and follow it up with what I said earlier:

That definition fits perfectly. I'm not really comparing the ISIS to the US, that was a one off, because there are some similarities. What I'm more interested in, is the logic of calling rioters, terrorists.
    Agreed, that definition is a bit vague. I like the legal one better:
    : the unlawful use or threat of violence especially against the state or the public as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion

I would say that I would not consider most of the idiots at these riots terrorists. I do think there are some that probably do qualify, those that instigate the riots. Most of these start as peaceful protests, then there is a conscious effort in many cases to change them from a peaceful protest to a violent one. When you are consciously trying to move a peaceful protest to a violent one for your agenda, you are a terrorist. If you are pushing it towards violence just for the sake of violence or the desire to loot, you are a thug.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Agreed, that definition is a bit vague. I like the legal one better:

I would say that I would not consider most of the idiots at these riots terrorists. I do think there are some that probably do qualify, those that instigate the riots. Most of these start as peaceful protests, then there is a conscious effort in many cases to change them from a peaceful protest to a violent one. When you are consciously trying to move a peaceful protest to a violent one for your agenda, you are a terrorist. If you are pushing it towards violence just for the sake of violence or the desire to loot, you are a thug.

I think the rioters are mostly useful idiots. The terrorists are the progressives pulling the strings. Soros is probably looking at it with approval.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom