• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I certainly appreciate the quotes. And you put forth a truth, that for many will be hard to swallow when I say it. I know lots of black men that are educated, intelligent, employed, law-abiding, and dress snappily. Not a handful, but lots. A few year back, we got together for a wedding, and started talking about our time in college, at UF. The discussion turned to the president at the time, who was ousted for calling a black regent an "oreo." We then discussed what that meant. An oreo, obviously is black on the outside, but white on the inside. It is one of the most offensive "compliments," a white person can say to a black person. It implies that a successful, law-abiding black person, isn't "really black," because they don't fit a pre-conceived notion that white people have in their minds about black people. In one fell swoop, they strip away one's blackness, and give honorary whiteness. I myself have been called an oreo, or referred to as the "whitest black guy," as have many other people I know.
    Conversely when a white person "acts black," that is a negative thing, again illustrating pre-conceived notions about blackness.

Here is where your experience and mine are different, and obviously guide our opinions. I have heard black people "insult" each other by calling them black, but never a white person make the same remark. But I know you have had much more opportunity to witness these interactions than I have.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Here is where your experience and mine are different, and obviously guide our opinions. I have heard black people "insult" each other by calling them black, but never a white person make the same remark. But I know you have had much more opportunity to witness these interactions than I have.

Oh yeah, that's extremely common. It had been the notion for years, that the blacker you were the uglier, dumber, less desirable and generally less of a person you were. This is another slave holdover. The dark-skinned blacks worked the fields, and the lighter skinned blacks worked in the master's house, or grounds. As such, working in the house indicated a higher status amongst blacks. I can tell you, dead honest, that as a kid, I hated being black. Probably the most important phrase for black people after "I have a dream," is "black is beautiful." That phrase changed a lot in how black people viewed themselves.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Still only one post. Shill account, or just a guy who likes to start discussion and sit back and :popcorn:

Well, he started a discussion that has allowed people to see different points of view and remain civil. Discussions like this, in other places, get out of control very quickly. And as far as I know, no one wants to throw a planter through anyone's window.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hey, wait a minute......
    Is being a gray man acceptable? I try to fit into this category.
    Grey-American?
    Is it racist against aliens?
    (Not the ones from mexico.)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well, he started a discussion that has allowed people to see different points of view and remain civil. Discussions like this, in other places, get out of control very quickly. And as far as I know, no one wants to throw a planter through anyone's window.

Just having a little fun. I agree, and I appreciate the opportunity to hash this stuff out. It can be frustrating, but all people are flawed, and I wouldn't expect it to go this well elsewhere.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    a very large legume often seen naked with a top hat, cane, and monocle.

And someone would throw a disabled, monocled, Chippendale-costumed legume out a window.... why exactly?

And this thread has taken a very odd turn.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And someone would throw a disabled, monocled, Chippendale-costumed legume out a window.... why exactly?

And this thread has taken a very odd turn.

You wouldn't get the message if someone did that to you? I would, and would pack my **** and move someplace else.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You wouldn't get the message if someone did that to you? I would, and would pack my **** and move someplace else.

My friend, I don't know if I need more coffee or you need less hydrocodone, but I'm completely lost in this tangent. :D

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But ... but ... a tangent can't depart the underlying curve (rail) of the thread at too sharp an angle and still be a tangent. Surely backtracking will clear that right up

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom