• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Actually you have... You just haven't realized it yet. Give it s few minutes, and I'll let you amend that last part of your last sentence.

Well that lasted a few more minutes than I expected. You still think you haven't seen used in that way before?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well that lasted a few more minutes than I expected. You still think you haven't seen used in that way before?

Unless you're implying your usage of it was the first, color me clueless.

You misspelled crap.

Americanized ethnic food usually is crap.

Although we could probably fix the pride of Britain, the toast sandwich, with some bacon.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've never heard anyone, not in six years in the Army, not in 17 years of police work, heard anyone refer to themselves as Jamaican-American, Ethiopian-American, Cuban-American, Nigerian-American, Kenyan-American or Haitian-American.

I don't see Black-American as a neutral term. You obviously don't if it would be offensive to all of these other darker skinned groups, offensive can't be considered neutral.

I see it as divisive, it serves no purpose other than to distance one group from another. I don't care about a person's heritage. I was curious what benefit you saw in declaring it, if there is no benefit there is no reason to use it.

One would ask what type of situation you would be in, where you would be informed of such? And despite you never having heard it or seen it referenced yourself, doesn't imply it isn't true, but rather you simply haven't been exposed to it.

To bring home this point, and I should know better than to open this can of worms, in college, we had the Black Student Union......
    ....and the African Student Union, And Club Creole (Hatians), and the Caribbean Student Association-Caribsa (Jamaicans, Black Cubans, Black Dominicans and people from the VI). All of these you can look up, and explore yourself. So again, "no," you can not simply "look" at a Black person and assume they identify as Black-American.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Unless you're implying your usage of it was the first, color me clueless.

Although we could probably fix the pride of Britain, the toast sandwich, with some bacon.

Ok fine, I get my opinions are unpopular, so I understand why it's rare that anyone chimes in, when there is a credible answer that supports my opinion.
    I'll remind you of what you said:

When there's no real need to make the differentiation, the hyphen does not make sense to me. I've never seen it used to declare a race before.

The obvious, easy response to this is Asian-American. So, do you contend you've "never seen it used" before?

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Have you seen anything that has swayed you believe that anybody is treated differently by police than other groups?

I'm sure it happens. Police are a little more in tune with the general population than the average citizen I am sure. Race-wise? I'm unsure. I see just as many screwed up white folks as any other race weekly. But I'm just a citizen.
    Read the blanket statements and see Indy is ranked 9th for homicides...
    Indy ranks in top ten for murder | Fox 59
    Dig a little deeper as revealed in the article) and you find 92% homicides in this city committed by felons. Worse, 83% victims are also felons.
    That's kind of revealing compared to the blanket statement first made. And that's kind of how I feel about BLM. The peak of the iceberg that everyone sees out in the open, isn't quite as telling as what lies underneath.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ok fine, I get my opinions are unpopular, so I understand why it's rare that anyone chimes in, when there is a credible answer that supports my opinion.
    I'll remind you of what you said:

The obvious, easy response to this is Asian-American. So, do you contend you've "never seen it used" before?

Kinda/Sorta?

Asian encompasses a lot of different races if we want to be specific. I never really thought about it in a racial tone.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Kinda/Sorta?

Asian encompasses a lot of different races if we want to be specific. I never really thought about it in a racial tone.

C'mon bro, now were adding imaginary races?

He's right.
    There are so many to keep track of. I can usually spot between the Chinese and the Vietnamese but the rest are tough.
    Oh - The Koreans usually have bigger boobs so that's a giveaway. ;)

I've worked at several Universities and my students have always try to race stump me.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Kinda/Sorta?

Too many people who use the term "Asian" to descibe people fail to realize that Asia includes a lot more than southeast Asia. Afghans, most Arabs, Persians, Uzbeks, Indians, Pakistanis, etc. are all every bit as Asian as someone from China or Japan. It's essentially meaningless to describe someone's appearance as "Asian" because it encompasses every shade of two of the three races and every conceivable mix and many ethnicities.

In America, when people say Asian, they're typically thinking exclusively southeast Asian, usually ignorant that at least half of the Asians don't look anything like what they think they are describing. In the UK, Asian = Indian or Pakistani.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He's right.
    There are so many to keep track of. I can usually spot between the Chinese and the Vietnamese but the rest are tough.
    Oh - The Koreans usually have bigger boobs so that's a giveaway. ;)

I've worked at several Universities and my students have always try to race stump me.

Not sure if srs

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Too many people who use the term "Asian" to descibe people fail to realize that Asia includes a lot more than southeast Asia. Afghans, most Arabs, Persians, Uzbeks, Indians, Pakistanis, etc. are all every bit as Asian as someone from China or Japan. It's essentially meaningless to describe someone's appearance as "Asian" because it encompasses every shade of two of the three races and every conceivable mix and many ethnicities.

In America, when people say Asian, they're typically thinking exclusively southeast Asian, usually ignorant that at least half of the Asians don't look anything like what they think they are describing. In the UK, Asian = Indian or Pakistani.

Maybe I'm more well traveled, of more well read, because if this is true, the it is also meaningless to call someone black.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    One would ask what type of situation you would be in, where you would be informed of such? And despite you never having heard it or seen it referenced yourself, doesn't imply it isn't true, but rather you simply haven't been exposed to it.

To bring home this point, and I should know better than to open this can of worms, in college, we had the Black Student Union......
    ....and the African Student Union, And Club Creole (Hatians), and the Caribbean Student Association-Caribsa (Jamaicans, Black Cubans, Black Dominicans and people from the VI). All of these you can look up, and explore yourself. So again, "no," you can not simply "look" at a Black person and assume they identify as Black-American.

Yet they make no distinctions while claiming victim status.

This will be my last post in this thread. We don't have an issue with race in this country, we have an issue with cultures. There are a wide variety of them and most of them can coexist without issue. There are some which are destructive and down right ugly. Participation in these cultures is voluntary once a person grows to an age where they are capable of making decisions for themselves. I myself made this decision when I was 17 years old and made a complete change in direction. Members of these ugly cultures can scream all they want to but they will never be accepted by the others so long as they continue to act the way they do. It doesn't have a damned thing to do with skin color.

It's convenient to claim it's about skin color since that cannot be changed and therefore removes the responsibility from those who should bear it.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yet they make no distinctions while claiming victim status.

This will be my last post in this thread. We don't have an issue with race in this country, we have an issue with cultures. There are a wide variety of them and most of them can coexist without issue. There are some which are destructive and down right ugly. Participation in these cultures is voluntary once a person grows to an age where they are capable of making decisions for themselves. I myself made this decision when I was 17 years old and made a complete change in direction. Members of these ugly cultures can scream all they want to but they will never be accepted by the others so long as they continue to act the way they do. It doesn't have a damned thing to do with skin color.

​"BINGO"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom