• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I rewired my furnace to easily plug it into my generator if/when the power goes out. The power that used to go straight into the furnace is now a single outlet, and I wired up a cord for the furnace. Power out? Unlplug from outlet, plug into extension cord. Cost me a whole $13.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Spent all that extra money getting the generator sub panel installed and set up to run a majority of the house only to find out that the generator's fuel tank is filled with water and the lines are frozen. Oh well, we got it handled.

The crazy weather was a non issue for us.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Spent all that extra money getting the generator sub panel installed and set up to run a majority of the house only to find out that the generator's fuel tank is filled with water and the lines are frozen. Oh well, we got it handled.

The crazy weather was a non issue for us.

This will be done in 2 weeks

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    While I was off and stuck in the house. I organized ammo and got in 50 cal ammo cans and labeled for access. also started on stock up on hygiene items and that kinda thing.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    With the weather I had my wife, without my help at all, light the buddy heater so she would feel confident. If I SHOW her, she doesn't remember, so I had her read the steps on the back and start it, she had no issues.

I took inventory of my 1lb cans and I'm a bit short. I have faith in her changing those, not so much hooking up the grill tank to 1lb tank adapter, it is a bit unwieldy after all. I am a bit short on those, so I ordered the refill adapter from amazon. I then filled a couple tanks (and filmed it for my youtube channel, video not edited yet). I had a failure on my first one, almost positive due to not fully emptying the tank. With all the threads on the matter I have seen plenty of tricks and hints, its an easy enough process, so I knew what to do. But, I assumed it was empty and only got about 5-6 ounces. I then ran it dry and re-did the fill and re-shot it getting around 15 ounces, good enough! The wife will be going out of town soon so I'll edit the video and put the blog post up.

Put an ad up on craigslist looking for empty tanks, though may just end up buying a few more new ones, would like to have around a dozen or so. If I am home when such things are needed I will just use the grill tank adapter, but my wife would much rather use the small tanks.

Finally got it edited after a couple tries. Video is posted, though I have the video embedded in a blog post AND additional information (mostly collected from various threads here).

Refilling 1lb propane tanks « A Handful of Tranquility

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Took my nephew outside for a little "man day" for something special for his birthday. He wanted to shoot a bow and arrow so we did. After he got used to shooting a bow I walked him around some weeds with the idea that he thought we were rabbit hunting. I wanted him to experience hunting and understand that you don't always see an animal. After the weeds walk we setup a shelter, started a fire without a lighter or match, and then we made a nice little MRE lunch and shot the bows some more. It's amazing how far he came along in a single afternoon. I didn't have to do anything other than just facilitate his interests and now he'll want to do it all over again. I consider it a prep because I see it as planting seeds for the next generation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This week I decided to stop "suggesting" that the Boss of Me keep some supplies in her place for emergencies. I'm now requiring it. She has the options of doing it herself, or I will make the choices and do it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife and I made a sweep of Sam's club. Replaced items rotated into use per exp. dates. Found some neat comfort foods that have decent shelf life. More rice/beans/canned soups/canned veggies.
    Cut and split more wood.
    Picked up 12 more propane (#1) bottles and 2 20's
    Rotated fuel.

artesianjack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Martinsville
    Another purchase of MRE's, checked all the expiration dates on batteries and some canned goods, periodic check of radio and flashlights and tried out the small kerosene lights we have.............

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm as prepped as I plan to be except for the rotation of food, buying additional food to replace that used in our rotation and ammo. The search for enough ammo will never end. We are far enough away from any City or Place that could have a nuclear attack. Our ground water should be safe and plentiful for generations.

Food after our storage runs out? Among my Family, we have the knowledge to harvest the wild foods of this Great State, Kentucky, Tennesse, Georgia and Florida. My Nephews were raised right. My Family includes hunters, harvesters, and a true Chef. All of us are great shots with their particular firearms. I have jungle survival training courtesy of my US Navy and our Chef makes all foods taste great.

If Crap does hit the Fan and if our paths cross, may we identify ourselves as friends. We can make a larger Family, share our resourses and knowlege in the preservation of our new Combined Family.

If this happens, I pray it'll happens all over our Great Country so someday Our Country will be re-established and our Republic Restored. This I pray, Amen.

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    Started a car first aid kit. Wife found tackle box at flea market that was perfect at size. Scrounged most of this from around house; got rest at Wal-Mart.
    Bullet pointed items are ones I have already; other items I have yet to pick up. Have just enough room in tackle box for the rest of this.

• 2 absorbent surgical dressings (5 x 9in)
    • 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
    • 1 roll bandage (4.5 in x 4 yds)
    • 2 gauze pad (4x4in)
    • 5 non-stick compresses (3x4in)
    • cotton swabs
    • 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yds x 1 in)
    • 1 waterproof adhesive tape (5yd x ½ in)
    • iodine tincture (antiseptic) (2 fl. oz)
    • alcohol wipes
    • liquid hand sanitizer
    • aspirin (325 mg)
    • acetaminophen (500 mg)
    • children’s acetaminophen susp. liquid
    • anti-diarrheal (immodium)
    • anti-histamine (benadryl)
    • 1 mylar blanket
    • 2 pair nitrile gloves
    • hydrocortizone ointment (1 oz)
    • triple antibiotic ointment (1 oz)
    • petroleum jelly (.35 oz)
    • Scissors (large & small)
    • moleskin
    • Oral thermometer (non-mercury/nonglass)
    • Tweezers
    • Splinter remover
    • Ace bandage
    • Safety pins
    • Lighter
    • Bandanna
    • Gatorade chews
    • 2 popsicle sticks
      Burn treatment
      Sunscreen
      Electrolyte powder
      Latex tubing
      Glow stick
      Penlight
      Paracord (10 ft.)
      First aid guide
      Ammonia inhalants
      Eye drops
      Quik-clot
      Tourniquet band
      Insect repellant

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Bought an new to me Ford Escape to replace my 20 year old F150 as a daily driver. I used to keep my GHB and other emergency supplies behind the seat in the truck, but now I have a little more room to haul more get home stuff. I've divided things into different bags that can be grabbed depending on the situation.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since my last post it's been a time of success and failures. A week ago I tried some new exercises while working out and slipped a disk in my back. I've been recovering slowly since and I'm nearly recovered. Now I have a back brace in my kit just in case this would ever happen again. I paid a lot of attention to what the Chiropractor did and I think I could walk somebody through it if it happened to me again or somebody else and there were no doctors around.

Still working on lock picking. I've got an old file cabinet from my grandparents without keys so it's been a fun thing to try and learn how to pick a lock, but so far I'm not doing so hot.

Good news is that I got on the scale this morning and I'm at the lowest weight I've been at in years. I've still got a ways to go, but it's a small step in the right direction.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We found some great Tuna (canned) at Sams. Shelf life says best at date....4 years. Did not say spoiled at date so this is now a long term shelf item. We made some up last night and Yum.

As to Teddy12B post. Wife and I are regulars at the Chiro. She needs it due to all the medical issues and I have just been way to hard on myself. I can adjust her to some extent but she does not have the strength to adj. me. I have developed a series of stretches and self manipulation (easy boys...not what you may think...:)) to keep my body on track. This has reduced my needs for office visits by a lot.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I slipped a disk about 5 years ago and this is the first time I've done anything similar since. I think this time it had more to do with a lot of the exercises that I did for the first time and I must have pushed myself too hard even though I didn't think I did. It's frustrating because it's not like I hurt my back doing something stupid (this time), I hurt my back trying to get in better shape. When I recover from this little episode I'm going to make sure I don't have to see the chiropractor ever again.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Signed the papers to finally replace my well and will have it rewired it for easier hook up to the generator. Building a second home on my land for the extended family with some features to help out if the power is out. The septic system for the new house will be a gravity system. We are having the wood stove verses fireplace insert debate and don't know which way it will go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Signed the papers to finally replace my well and will have it rewired it for easier hook up to the generator. Building a second home on my land for the extended family with some features to help out if the power is out. The septic system for the new house will be a gravity system. We are having the wood stove verses fireplace insert debate and don't know which way it will go.

Wood stove is more efficient just not a fire right in front of you.

Where ya been Longbow???

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom