Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I slipped a disk about 5 years ago and this is the first time I've done anything similar since. I think this time it had more to do with a lot of the exercises that I did for the first time and I must have pushed myself too hard even though I didn't think I did. It's frustrating because it's not like I hurt my back doing something stupid (this time), I hurt my back trying to get in better shape. When I recover from this little episode I'm going to make sure I don't have to see the chiropractor ever again.

Once you damage your back it is so easy to re-occur.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Once you damage your back it is so easy to re-occur.

That's what I've heard, but even the Dr. was really impressed with how quickly my back healed up after his initial treatment. I just have to do a better job of getting in shape and staying that way. This morning was another all new low when I stepped on the scale so I've got things heading the right direction. I just have to keep the momentum going the right way.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's what I've heard, but even the Dr. was really impressed with how quickly my back healed up after his initial treatment. I just have to do a better job of getting in shape and staying that way. This morning was another all new low when I stepped on the scale so I've got things heading the right direction. I just have to keep the momentum going the right way.

Having done so much damage to my entire frame over my life I am pretty lucky to be as mobile as I am at my age. I do feel most every injury in the A.M. and late evening. A good reminder.
    If I had known I would live this long....well, maybe I would have taken better care of myself..........Nah, probably not.....:)

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    Picked up 5 new sawyer minis for each member of my family's packs.
    (had to watch the mailbox very closely, as they get damaged if they freeze, so i couldn't let them sit out in the 9` temps inside my mailbox.)

Got a new hydration bladder for my bag.

Added a bunch of stuff to my amazon list for next week.

Updated the bugout bag spreadsheet. (I keep a rather intricate bugout bag item matrix to ensure all our bags contain all the items we need and so i can maintain stock levels if we ever use anything out of them) It jsut helps keep me organized and know what i need to shop for next.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    (had to watch the mailbox very closely, as they get damaged if they freeze, so i couldn't let them sit out in the 9` temps inside my mailbox.)

I believe that the freeze warning only applies after initial use.

I've stocked up a few of these minis as well.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Signed the papers to finally replace my well and will have it rewired it for easier hook up to the generator. Building a second home on my land for the extended family with some features to help out if the power is out. The septic system for the new house will be a gravity system. We are having the wood stove verses fireplace insert debate and don't know which way it will go.

I have a relative with a woodstove in the basement, it is amazing, just amazing, one nice little feature is you can cook on it!! if you got the room i'd say wood stove no doubt:)

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood

Got a new hydration bladder for my bag.

Added a bunch of stuff to my amazon list for next week.

Updated the bugout bag spreadsheet. (I keep a rather intricate bugout bag item matrix to ensure all our bags contain all the items we need and so i can maintain stock levels if we ever use anything out of them) It jsut helps keep me organized and know what i need to shop for next.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy that many. One of the big ones for the group and tabs as backup is more than enough for a close group.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Having done so much damage to my entire frame over my life I am pretty lucky to be as mobile as I am at my age. I do feel most every injury in the A.M. and late evening. A good reminder.
    If I had known I would live this long....well, maybe I would have taken better care of myself..........Nah, probably not.....:)

Tell me about it, I'm in great shape for a 60 year old. Too bad I'm 41.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Just a heads up: Kroger has a pretty decent sale going on now, it's a buy 6, get a certain amount off depending on the item. I used coupons in conjunction with the sale, and snagged quite a few canned goods at a decent price.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Backpacking and snow camping with my BOB. Gear worked great ( I was fed, watered, sheltered and warm) but I learned that I'm fat, old, and out of shape. I used to backpack a lot, but that was years ago. I need to get back into it on a regular basis.

I learned that I need to keep a set of tire chains in my vehicle preps. I slid backwards down a hill in the wilderness area and got stuck cross wise in the road. Floor mats are good for traction, but its kind of hard on them.

FWIW, Mountain House beef stew needs "something" - spice like pepper or hot sauce, or anything that wiould give it some taste.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Backpacking and snow camping with my BOB. Gear worked great ( I was fed, watered, sheltered and warm) but I learned that I'm fat, old, and out of shape. I used to backpack a lot, but that was years ago. I need to get back into it on a regular basis.

FWIW, Mountain House beef stew needs "something" - spice like pepper or hot sauce, or anything that wiould give it some taste.

We need to hike the B-Line with bags and rifles. :):
    I have some seasoning for you.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I over heated spliting fire wood today:) Gotta buy me one of those fancy log splitters the mull is to much work. Wife talked with a guy on the remc board and he said to plan on being with out power during the beginning of the week. Power always goes out when its the coldest here. I picked up a box of 2hr fire logs and a creosote fire log. Bring on the cold I'm ready!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I learned that I need to keep a set of tire chains in my vehicle preps. I slid backwards down a hill in the wilderness area and got stuck cross wise in the road. Floor mats are good for traction, but its kind of hard on them.

We have Taco Bell sauce packets both mild and hot. It does add something to an MRE or a Mountain house meal.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Going through our first order that just came in from the seed catalog. Every season I try to grow something that I've never grown before. Got some white dent corn, some quinoa, and some hull-less oats to try. My plan is to try covering some of the corn ears and pollinating by hand to keep out the bastard-pollen from the farm fields so I can save some seed and keep the genes pure and GMO free.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Long day. Stripped out my old BOB and put everything in a new bag. Repacked my recreational rig as well. Found out I'm low on a couple types of ammo so I need to get busy on the presses when the garage warms up a bit.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I bought this:

Antique Coffee Mill Grinder Cast Iron C H Woodruff Co | eBay

It will grind not only coffee but most any grain opening the door to my own cornmeal, flour, oat flour or most anything else which may need to be ground to be rendered suitable for cooking/eating.

This example will require a little brazing on the lid, a new wooden handle, replacement of the eagle on top, but will be ready for war much cheaper than I could find any similar machine. The challenges are that the prices are generally high, shipping is rarely available, and the restoration work is often more difficult even without cracks like the one on the lid on account of being rusted internally and externally from sitting in a damp barn for decades.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom