Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All the Bug out gear has been re-defined. Winter gear and clothing. Everything in easy to grab and go totes. This is a vast improvement over what we had. This system could maintain us for a much longer period or keep more of us going for a lesser time.
    Previously we had the 72 hr. set up. If I am correct the new program will more than double that with more shelter.

We still have the BOB setting next to the totes. I am considering it for a GHB in the van.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I changed batteries in all my optics and bought spares. Bought a couple more 4 piece sleep systems. Filled all the propane tanks. Purchased the final 7.62 battle rifle I wanted. Refined my plate carrier to be more functional. Doing some cold weather distance and cold weather survival training over the weekend. Next week I'll be out on the range in the cold as well. Installed a 98% efficient water heater, should save us some dough to put back. Read a bunch of books on planting, some survival fiction.

Projects:
    Solar backup system
    Kerosene heaters
    Pressurized backup water system
    Enlarged garden
    Start training the 12yo in defensive handgun
    Build a 2nd Cache
    Sell a bunch of stuff I don't need

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    I'm a little new to purposely prepping for SHTF scenarios. We (my wife and I) have always been short term preppers without even using the term, though. Always keeping enough in the house to eat in the event of power outages, having a back up battery to recharge cells to keep up with weather and news, making sure we have extra water on a shelf, keeping back up heaters (1 kerosene and 1 propane) available and maintained, etc. Now I'm getting more into the SHTF side.

This week:
    I stocked up on more propane.
    I learned to make a couple different alcohol stoves and tested them. Settled on the one that was easier to make as it worked better in the 14 degree weather. Boiled water in 6 minutes on 1 ounce of alcohol. Oh, and I bought extra alcohol from Menards in their generic form of "HEET".
    I then purchased some freeze dried food on Amazon.
    I bought 2 water purification straws for GHB's in each car along with water purification tabs.
    Bought more mylar sheets which can be used for emergency blankets, lining a heat room in the case of power failure, or lining a tent for bug out.
    Started researching solar options; large battery bank and portable.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Is this the recommended frugal way of purchasing alcohol for stoves?
    Not exactly 'frugal' but readily available and can be carried in the car without looking 'prepperish'. I think one bottle should last long enough to boil several pints of water. Watch for sales!

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Bought an aa & AAA battery charger for nicads. Also bought car rations for the blizzard ...
    Got a physical exam and bloodwork...no major malfunctions so far ...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Shelves are full again. Water is back to acceptable level. Battery's rotated and re-supplied.

Put a butt load of wood in the pile to be split. Going back out tomorrow for more.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had an awesome week of combat focused workouts: weights, running, skiiing, swimming, heavy bag, crossfit.

I did dry practice four times this past week: G19, J frame, AK, 870 and bolt gun.

Went to the woods and practiced bushcraft.

Repacked my vehicle GHB. It had been scavenged recently and not pul back in order.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife and I have put in some comfort items. Looked at shelf life on different things such as hard candies/pancake mixes/muffin mix/individual serving bags of chips/breakfast bars and such. These items were bought in bulk and will be consumed and rotated out by the shelf life dates. If they hold good for that time we will make these items part of the reserves. Life is better with a piece of candy. The kids will enjoy these items if the need arises to live out of that pantry.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Took up a 2nd full time job to start funding more guns and ammo, I mean preps. I actually started it about a month ago but all that money went to Christmas. Now it's time for the money to start going where I want it to go.

SpecWar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Stocked up on some can goods, TP, refilled gas cans and treated same. Picked up three Randall Knives at a good price. Stocking up on ammo when I can find it cheap.. Surfing the classifieds on several forums picking up odds and end items, mags, extra gun parts, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom