• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    got some of this water purification, makes the water taste bad but kills the nasties

Polar_Pure.3.jpg

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Bought a stainless water bottle that fits under the front seat. I can carry water and boil
    water in it, unlike plastic. Cost 2$ at dollar general. Am presently testing a 5hr-energy
    bottle to carry bleach....

I say those stainless steel bottles and they look nice.

As for the bleach how does the 5hr energy bottle work out? I have been thinking of a small bottle to carry bleach. You can throw 2-3 of those in a bag no problem.

This week, I finally got my water storage done. I have 65 2 liter bottles of water stored in the basement.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Maintained combat conditioning levels. 12 miles of running/rucking, weights, heavy bag.

1 Fight Nite-heavy bag, drills, sparring.

Attended Tactical Response's Alumni Weekend. A whole weekend of free training. This years theme was "Disaster Preparedness". Workshops on survival medicine, food storage, shelter building, Bug out Bags and vehicle bug outs. Range sessions on hunting with a "pick up" shotgun (870), one handed pistol handling and a suppressor demo- in relation to survival use. Empty hand session on defeating a choke. Good stuff. I taught some sessions on BOBs and shelter building.

Spent 6 hours shooting Valparaiso police officers in 20 Force on Force gunfights. Active shooter, hallway. I was the badguy.

Bought 10 pounds of dried beans and rice, gravy mix, salt for a 3 gallon bucket.

Built up a SOE PALs micro rig with SOE Rallyman pouchs, med pouch, smoke pouch.

Got a set of ACU nomex/arimid BDUs.

Bought a few more 14g needles and NPAs.

Bought a 2sevens Quark Tactical light w/ programable head: Set it for strobe and max. I like it so far.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Took advantage of the heat-and stayed indoors in the day and did chores at night.

My wife said if I get another Otis cleaning kit, she is going to make me eat it. I told her they must be breeding......

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    The 5hr bottle is holding up. Wrapped it in a blue rag and stuffed it in a zip lock.
    Want more info on 'calcium hypochlorite'. How do I use it? Where can I get some?
    Is it expensive?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Took more stuff out to the camper. (Non parishable, of course)
    Re-arranged the closets a little more. Took some stuff upstairs, brought a couple things downstairs. :rolleyes:

When it cools down a little tonight, I will do more upstairs. (No A/C except in the window of my bedroom)

Still trying to get up some ambition to start on the basement. (OMG! There's a lot of "junk" down there. :nailbite:)

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Calcium hypochlorite is used in pool shock. Get the 73%+ kind. It is chlorine crystal. No shelf life problems. Bleach has a shelf life and will degrade at a rate of 20% each year or some such.

They say the best is 78% granular. All I was able to find was I think 73%. Bought it on ebay. Came in 10 pound bag. One heaping teaspoon mixed with two gallons of water makes a strong bleach. They say that one pound will treat up to 10,000 gallons of water. Boiling is still better.

I opened the bag, which was in another bag and I had put those in two more bags then in a sealed five gallon bucket with rubber seal. Put on some rubber gloves and a gas mask then took everything outside to open it up. This stuff is potent. Just like pool shock, but I was trying to put it in little 5hr energy drink bottles. Neighbors were probably starting to worry about me because of the mask and such, but who cares.

Got four bottles loaded. Kept tapping and shaking them to get the most in there. Two capfulls makes a heaping teaspoon. My thoughts are that one cap will do one gallon.

Oh yeah, this makes bleach, not safe water. Once you make the bleach solution use that at 1 part solution to 100 parts water to be disinfected.

Once you mix it the shelf life starts.

Actually the idea of bleach in a bottle appeals to me the more I think of it. The dry mix is on my shelves, in my BOB and soon to be at off-site cashes. For a GHB the mixed solution would be better for speed. I still have straws in there, but maybe a small bottle of liquid with a date on it would be good too.

Do some google-fu to check it out. I originally found it on survivaltopics.com but can't seem to now. This has a copy/paste from it though:

Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water - Survivalist Forum

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Bought a bicycle and started riding with my son. Just a few miles this weekend to start, but it is hilly here and I made it burn! Started cleaning the garage and organizing all the tools and gear out there. Maybe I'll find room for a reloading bench......crap now I've gotta start buying reloading crap and learning yet another skill;) Oh, I also treated my garden for bugs and fungus again.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We had a practice run for a bug out. It was a good idea and I'm glad we did it, but we didn't bug out because we're tough. We left because our baby boy was sick and the AC broke at the house. When I got home I told my wife that the basement was still cool to witch she responded "We're Leaving". She had had enough of two screaming kids and we went out to the parents. I tried to use the experience as an example though because the only other thing that would have been different in a real bug out would have been a couple more bags and guns.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I tried to use the experience as an example though because the only other thing that would have been different in a real bug out would have been a couple more bags and guns.

Wait a minute... you went to the inlaws with no guns?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    ....converted a noob at work to look into some prep's. He just had his first kid, and I gave him the talk about being prepared for his new child and wife.

He is a new project.......

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Started planning permanent means of getting food and supplies. Stocking up is great, but renewable sources of sustenance like fruit trees, livestock etc are on the top of my list now.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Wait a minute... you went to the inlaws with no guns?

We went to my parents, but yeah if it had been the inlaws my formal BOB and weapons may have been in order. Actually it was nice to get out to my parents place because I've been sticking another box of 550rds of 22lr unnoticed in their safe over a period of visits. They don't use the guns and just in case we have to leave and get out there I don't want the ammo supply to be empty. The problem is that when I went to check the safe, someone had moved the keys! I couldn't get in and check so I will follow up with my brother in law and find out what happened to the keys. If the SHTF we could open the safe, but opening the door would be a lot easier. If was a good thing to check up on while we were out there.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Started planning permanent means of getting food and supplies. Stocking up is great, but renewable sources of sustenance like fruit trees, livestock etc are on the top of my list now.

Wife and I looked at a property yesterday and one of the questions I asked was if there were any fruit bearing trees on the grounds. It's a must for being self reliant.

It's a 6 acre property with 8 horse stalls ;-) Course I have never owned a horse and don't plan too ;) Bedrooms are too small so its really unfortunate that I have to pass on this one

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Wife and I looked at a property yesterday and one of the questions I asked was if there were any fruit bearing trees on the grounds. It's a must for being self reliant.

It's a 6 acre property with 8 horse stalls ;-) Course I have never owned a horse and don't plan too ;) Bedrooms are too small so its really unfortunate that I have to pass on this one

My wife and I are also looking at land. There's lots of great options out there to purchase or grow fruit trees that will produce within a year or two of being planted. If you can wait that long, I think it's a wise move.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom