• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Robbed the neighbor's tree of mullberries.

Chopped up wood and think I am up to 2 cords now and still have another tree I have to load up and a couple major branches on my tree that need trimmed up.

Made another 10 gallons of beer (brings me up to 20 gallons of homebrew and 4 different types).

hit the gym 3x and played racquetball twice. Took the backpack for a walk around the park in 90 degree heat for about 3 miles.

planted some more radishes and weeded.

Hoping to get some shooting in this coming weekend.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Well unfortunately I believe my family will be the beneficiary of my father inlaws untimely death. Most of my inlaws have poked fun at his preps so I am sure we will be the only ones interested in his PP, MH and wise food stores.

We will be very thankful for the gift but it's a crappy way to get preps, I would rather my kids have their grandfather, my wife have her father and I would rather have the man that has showed me more attention and spent more time with me than my dad ever has, I am going to miss my hunting buddy.

Update to the above:

I can happily report that we did get some preps and camping gear and other things. I can also happily report that the other family members may have had an awakening as the prep food was split up between the 5 of them, so while we didn't get it all I know that they are at least considering their father was on to something.

We also weeded the garden and things are looking good for canning. We have raspberries, blackberries and grapes all doing good we may try to do some jam/jelly this year.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I knocked out 20 miles of running and rucking this past week. Plus weights, Bootcamp, 20 miles of biking etc.

1 fight Nite: heavy bag, drills, light sparring, disarms.

1 dryfire session. G19, J frame speed strip reloads.

1 Range session. Worked w/ pistol-rifle transitions, AK reloads on the run, hits out to 150 meters.

Spent some time in the bush working fieldcraft, tracking, stalking, tested some gear, got wet and muddy.

Conducted a comms check with buddies on murs radios.

Picked raspberries and blueberries with the family. Will make some into jam.

So what that took about 8 hours and what did you do with the rest of your time:D

One thing I have been checking into and reading up on is picking out a bow. I have never really shot one except to play around and its time to learn.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    One thing I have been checking into and reading up on is picking out a bow. I have never really shot one except to play around and its time to learn.

If you're wanting a bow to play around with you gotta try out one of these:

KP Archery items - Get great deals on longbows, traditional archery items on eBay Stores!

This guy is selling handmade hickory longbows on Ebay for around $50. For $50 you can't go wrong. If nothing else it's a nice back up for a more expensive bow, or a good starter for a kid. For SHTF/Prepping purposes it's not a bad thing to have around just in case for about $50. I've got one and took it deer hunting last year, but I never got a shot at a deer.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Last big storm we lost power. The gen wouldn't hold gas and needed new gas line.
    Have since installed solar lights on stairs... one little thing at a time. Keep on moving
    forward. Had a conversation with my son and found out he's at least thinking about
    SHTF. It seems he's already established my house as home base. He's also invited all his buddies. Nice of him to tell me! At least most of them can shoot but I don't see how we'll
    feed them...

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    Just got back from a canning seminar given by the Brown Co. Purdue Extension office. It was relatively well attended. Learned some new things about canning and am ready to can meat for the 1st time. Got an excellent book on canning too.

Also learned of some good resources for buying bulk veges & fruit that I formerly knew nothing about. Bring on the produce, I'm ready....

:rockwoot:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Just got back from a canning seminar given by the Brown Co. Purdue Extension office. It was relatively well attended. Learned some new things about canning and am ready to can meat for the 1st time. Got an excellent book on canning too.

Also learned of some good resources for buying bulk veges & fruit that I formerly knew nothing about. Bring on the produce, I'm ready....

:rockwoot:

Do you care to share some of the resources for bulk veggies and fruit? :popcorn:

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    Sure, as it turns out, you live in a very good area and are closer to good produce than I am.

These are the places people told me about at the seminar:

Anderson's Apple Orchard in Mooresville - you can ask for 2nds for canning, i.e., good chunky applesauce. I was told that these folks are very nice and accommodating too. They run a very good orchard.

Bush's Fruit Mkt. ~ Tomatoes and much more by the bushel. Take 25th St. (Hwy. 46 W) out of Columbus about 5 mi. and you should see it.

Whipker's Mkt. ~ At intersection of 31 S. & 7th St. in Columbus - just south if you keep on Hwy 31 S.

Hackman's Produce ~ on Hwy. 7 just outside of Columbus.

Huber Farms ~ Starlight, IN - peaches, raspberries, veges - excellent produce.

Apple Acres ~ Bedford, IN go south on Hwy. 37.

And, locally for me ~ Bud Smith in Nashville, across from Brester's Animal Clinic on 135 N.

So, there are several good alternatives for finding reasonably priced apples & tomatoes and other veges. If I can find a good source for peaches I'll update this thread with the info.

Hope this info will help anyone who wants to do a lot of canning.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    For sure on Anderson Orchard, I will have to ask about the "seconds". We are real close to there, they have a top notch orchard. Great place to take family for pumpkins...

Huber Farms, we had the chance to visit there a couple of years back, great place, DARN GOOOOD FOOD. They had a nice selection of produce as well as jelies and jams.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Picked up 10 more pounds of bacon and 10lbs of country sausage for the freezer. Here's a pic of the pile-o-bacon to get your mouths watering. The price has gone up about 40 cents per pound over the past 6 months but I still dare you to find ANY bacon at this price much less bacon as lean as this.....we have to save the grease and add it to the next pan when we cook it...mmmmmmmmmm.
    0709111356.jpg

0709111357.jpg

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Connected to family on Facebook thanks to my son. Many of them I haven't seen for years, others (children of some), I've never met. Most of the family has moved away from this area. (Can't blame them, there's nothing here anymore.)

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Picked up 10 more pounds of bacon and 10lbs of country sausage for the freezer. Here's a pic of the pile-o-bacon to get your mouths watering. The price has gone up about 40 cents per pound over the past 6 months but I still dare you to find ANY bacon at this price much less bacon as lean as this.....we have to save the grease and add it to the next pan when we cook it...mmmmmmmmmm.
    0709111356.jpg

0709111357.jpg

Do you get your bacon at Mooresville meat ? We get alot of our stuff at the firehouse from them...You are right..great meat at a great price !!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    0709111356.jpg

0709111357.jpg

Tease! :):

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Started to purchase 12 volt goodies for the new storm shelter.
    Fans and cig. lighter adapters.
    Need to do more research on lighting.
    I got the base about half way leveled using large pavers and topsoil.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Reorganized storage supplies better and labeled. Seperated ammo into different containers so that I would have a little of everything in each.

Transferred items from one closet to another - like items together. Still more to do. :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom