• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Installed a new 3500 watt inverter.Picked up some food stuffs on sale.New universal joints put in the truck.New tires on all vehicles.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    How many batteries do you have for that thing?

It is installed in the M1009 blazer I picked up.It has a 24V electrical system running two 100 amp alternators and two 31 series batteries.This inverter was designed in Canada for use in Nato 24v vehicles.So as long as that mechanical 6.2 diesel runs I should have power :)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Got to try out my SHTF Plans last night, well the mini-SHTF plans anyway.

Power went out at about 17:30'ish coming back on at 02:00'ish.

We managed to drink all the Beer in the 'fridge before the Beer became warm.
    2 adjustments to the Mini-plan will be to put the aspirin, ibuprofen and water in an easier to find location with lights off while in a drunken stupor...

Other than those 2 changes all went fairly well...

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    We managed to drink all the Beer in the 'fridge before the Beer became warm.
    2 adjustments to the Mini-plan will be to put the aspirin, ibuprofen and water in an easier to find location with lights off while in a drunken stupor...

Easy fix... grab some 550 and tie a bottle of pain killer to the handle on the case of beer. Easy to find and tacticool to boot! Simply untie when case is empty and then repeat step one.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Easy fix... grab some 550 and tie a bottle of pain killer to the handle on the case of beer. Easy to find and tacticool to boot! Simply untie when case is empty and then repeat step one.

Tried that before...

Not a good option...
    We ended up diving in like 3-4 dumpsters before we found the damn painkillers...

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I drew up plans to expand our garden. We're adding about 225 square feet of raised beds to our current 250 square feet. I also have plans to add a clothes line so we can save money by running our dryer less.

I'm seriously looking at buying a grain mill and wheat. I've started my research on grain mills.

Edited to add: I also checked out the ARRL handbook from the library and am looking into getting a radio license.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I drew up plans to expand our garden. We're adding about 225 square feet of raised beds to our current 250 square feet. I also have plans to add a clothes line so we can save money by running our dryer less.

I'm seriously looking at buying a grain mill and wheat. I've started my research on grain mills.

Edited to add: I also checked out the ARRL handbook from the library and am looking into getting a radio license.

Just ordered my first ham radio (got my license a few months ago).

Oddly enough, mapped out plans for expanding our garden (from ~600 sq ft to ~1000 sq ft). Also researched chicken coops. Plan to add chickens next spring.

Regarding grain mills, did you see the TV show doomsday preppers? One guy on there had built a grain mill attached to a stationary bike. Seems pretty freakin smart to me. Even better would be a stationary bike with gears (one for grain mill, one for generator, one for drink mixer, etc.)

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Replaced the door to my bedroom with a REAL wood one. (Yeah, it's wood and not as strong as steel, BUT, it's an OLD door from another part of the house.) Old house, old door - heavier, made SO much better than today's doors.

A couple sturdy locks fastened onto the OLD door frame (equally old HARD wood), and it would take someone a while to get into my room. :D (In fact the wood is so hard that it is nearly impossible to drive a nail into it.)
    (Drill, baby, drill! :D :D)

reddog14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    5 Gallon Water Jugs

I found out that I could remove the cap from one of those 5 gallon water jugs for water coolers, fish the plug out from inside the bottle (the blue plug that goes inside the jug when you place it on the water cooler) and it snaps back in place so I can then snap the lid on the jug making a nice snug airtight cap. Great for water storage...
    Also grabbed a Coleman LED Lantern that shines 190 lumens. Comes with a rechargeable battery pack and a blank battery pack so you can load your own regular batteries. On low setting it gets 475 hours and on the high setting it gets 250 hours on each charge. I made a 4 watt solar charger for it so it charges nicely.

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    this week I bought:

1 x Foam Covered Aluminum Splint. It rolls up and fits easily into my bug out bag, and if I break or sprain something it will be very useful. Plus it smells like a doctor's office.

1 x Israeli Trauma Wound Dressing - sealed and guaranteed for 5 years, can stop heavy bleeding.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Went through entire safe and rearranged and counted all ammo. Convince wife to expand our pantry to start accumulating about 6 months of extra food stuffs.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    within the last month, I replaced my sks with an AR15, bought 5 magpul mags and arranged my lbv-lbe to support neighborhood patrol activities....
    Next week, I'll be buying 1000 rnds of .223 and 5 more pmags. Two weeks later I will be starting on food storage....100 dollars, every two weeks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom