• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Image means alot. First impressions mean alot to. Alot of what the military does is image related. In fact, bootcamp is basically all about uniform inspections. Check this out too, its so funny and true, 2.

Very little of what the militia does is image related, because, basically, they just don't care. For the most part, nobody even knows that they are around, so wasting time on spit and polish is pretty senseless. Every once in a while, a group of more PR minded people in one group or another will put together some literature or something, but for the most part, the only ones you see or know about, are those who aren't doing anything except thinking about how important they are.

Uniform inspections don't exist, because some show up in Nam era tiger stripes, some in surplus E. German or Soviet, some in woodland camo, some in hunting gear. It's all about what people have and can afford.

It would be rather silly to impose mandatory expenses on members of the militia who choose to participate.

I get the feeling that you don't really have a good grasp on who, or what, the militia is.

You aren't a member of A militia. You are a member of THE militia. Just as when you sign up for the U.S. Army, you aren't joining AN Army, you are joining THE Army.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    If I'm in a situation were what I wear is a deciding factor in wether I live or die, wouldn't the police or national guard be around or something. I'm not looking to replace them after all.

It might be possible that the police have their hands full, and won't be able to babysit you 24 hours a day. It's also possible that the ING is in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, or any number of other places a national guard unit shouldn't be.

And you have it backwards. You want them to replace you. You are simply willing to pay them to do a job which you should be doing yourself, but are unwilling/unable. It's not the government's duty to protect you. If you want to pay them to do that, they may, but be aware that they will not do nearly as good a job of it as you should on your own.

If you really believe that it's the government's job, then the next time you are robbed, or carjacked, leave your gun in your holster and call 911 instead. We'll see how satisfied you are with the outcome.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Volunteer firefighters are 501(c)(3) organizations that get real firefighter training, funding, and basically do all the stuff a real firefighter would do, their just not paid. And most if not all try yearly to be paid firefighters.

A militia can do alot of good. A 501(c)(3) 2nd amendent right charity can do all sorts of things. Fundraiser's, gun shoots, speeches,

You seem pretty impressed with groups that get the federal government's stamp of approval (your vaunted 501(c)(3) tax exempt status.

Also, the national guard doesn't count as a militia, The Indiana Guard Reserve is official militia of indiana. But for the purposes of this discussion, I'm talking about militia's not affiliated with the goverment.[/quote]

NO militia is affiliated with the government. Read your history. You are missing the entire concept of what the militia is, and what the founding fathers understood as its proper place.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    someones got some "splainin" to do when they wake up :laugh:

report to Thompal on the double maggot :):

edit: just to be clear, I am just joking. not really calling anyone a maggot. I dont want the ban hammer dropped on me again

Last edited:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, well some people don't do research. If you had bothered to do your homework, you would know I am more than willing to defend myself and others. Go here to be educated. The principle is much the same. I'm not saying to go as far as uniform inspections, but a professial dress code would be enough. If such a SHTF situation can up, and someone who either looks homeless or out of zz top video comes up to me, armed to the teeth, and says he's here to help, I'm just tell him no thanks, I'm fine.

Of course, lack of homework is the real problem here. Again I ask how do you plan on defending people who don't trust you? Image goes a long way, and if you can afford military surplus, which can get pricy, you can affond a pair of slacks and a polo. Which, BTW, is the causal dress of both the police force and fire department.

What is the point of the bdu's, exactly?

By saying P.R. is not important, your showing how ignorant of the job you want to perform you are. Just cause someone shows up at my door and says here to help, doesn't convince me of anything. Nor would it convince anyone who has something to protect. You want to help me, than go the extra mile and LOOK like someone I would want to help me. Shave, look professial, and have some credentials to back yourself up. If your not trained well, your just adding to the problem.

If would like, I can go a meeting of your militia, and you try and prove me wrong. I will be polite and friendly, and as always open minded.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    You seem pretty impressed with groups that get the federal government's stamp of approval (your vaunted 501(c)(3) tax exempt status.

Also, the national guard doesn't count as a militia, The Indiana Guard Reserve is official militia of indiana. But for the purposes of this discussion, I'm talking about militia's not affiliated with the goverment.

NO militia is affiliated with the government. Read your history. You are missing the entire concept of what the militia is, and what the founding fathers understood as its proper place.[/quote]

And now for this one. I say 501 because then you get some funding from like minded groups for supplies and such, but that may be beyond your grasp. And a pro-goverment militia can exist, even a goverment funded one. All it needs is no federal funding to count. I have read history, but the law is more informative.

Keep'em coming, folks. I here all night, and I'm not backing down.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

hey I respect a person who doesnt back down when they believe in something. I think your getting a little more crap thrown at you because you are new here. dont take it to heart. things can get heated in the political sections, if all in good debate though. Im glad to have your opinion just as much as anyone elses. :patriot:

I think the country is so screwed up because of the government not following the constitution that its hard to know whats what. all I know is that If I have to serve my country again I will proudly do it. My wife knows I love her & my daughter but my country comes first because its for them. country is different than govt. I wont serve again to help a politician get votes.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    hey I respect a person who doesnt back down when they believe in something. I think your getting a little more crap thrown at you because you are new here. dont take it to heart. things can get heated in the political sections, if all in good debate though. Im glad to have your opinion just as much as anyone elses. :patriot:

I think the country is so screwed up because of the government not following the constitution that its hard to know whats what. all I know is that If I have to serve my country again I will proudly do it. My wife knows I love her & my daughter but my country comes first because its for them. country is different than govt. I wont serve again to help a politician get votes.

It's cool. They believe in what they do, I respect that. Just post'in my opinion and stick'in to it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I do believe a militia is separate from the govt but can be used by the govt if the militia agrees. the whole 2nd amendment is to protect us from the govt. so if a militia became the govt then only women and children would be left to defend america.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    And now for this one. I say 501 because then you get some funding from like minded groups for supplies and such, but that may be beyond your grasp. And a pro-goverment militia can exist, even a goverment funded one. All it needs is no federal funding to count. I have read history, but the law is more informative.

Don't confuse "pro-government" with "government-affiliated." They are no more the same thing as would be saying "Pro Colts" means you are affiliated with the Colts.

There probably are pro-government militia units. I think they call themselves "Union Enforcers."
    :popcorn:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I do believe a militia is separate from the govt but can be used by the govt if the militia agrees. the whole 2nd amendment is to protect us from the govt. so if a militia became the govt then only women and children would be left to defend america.

I agree with that. But pro-goverment and apart of the goverment are too seperate thing. And when a say pro-goverment, I mean be for a goverment, not the current goverment. As apposed to anarchy, which some militia's seem to be in favor of. Freedoms are good, but a goverment is still a nessary evil. And can be a 501 and still stay indepentent from the goverment. It just opens funding doors is all, and thats a good thing.

Damn, thompal beat me too it. O well.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Ok, well some people don't do research. If you had bothered to do your homework, you would know I am more than willing to defend myself and others. Go here to be educated. The principle is much the same. I'm not saying to go as far as uniform inspections, but a professial dress code would be enough. If such a SHTF situation can up, and someone who either looks homeless or out of zz top video comes up to me, armed to the teeth, and says he's here to help, I'm just tell him no thanks, I'm fine.

A militia unit doesn't exist to defend others, the people who join that militia unit band together to defend themselves. They aren't going to go door-to-door looking to defend those who have chosen to be helpless.

Of course, lack of homework is the real problem here. Again I ask how do you plan on defending people who don't trust you? Image goes a long way, and if you can afford military surplus, which can get pricy, you can affond a pair of slacks and a polo. Which, BTW, is the causal dress of both the police force and fire department.

Yes, the CASUAL dress. And what do they wear when there is something to do?? Hmmm, BDUs, perhaps? The only reason you don't know who around you is in a militia is because there is no officially approved casual dress. Some wear suits. Some wear jeans and t-shirts. Some wear dockers and polo shirts. Some wear dresses (yes, there are a fair number of females in units).

What is the point of the bdu's, exactly?

Hmm, durability. Utility. The ability to stand a better chance at not being seen. Lots of pockets. They look a heck of a lot better after sleeping in the dirt than a pair of khaki shorts and a polo shirt would!

By saying P.R. is not important, your showing how ignorant of the job you want to perform you are.

Ok, if you can show me why having a professional PR firm at my disposal is important to the task of defending myself and my family, and providing for them in times of disaster or emergency, I may consider it. Really. If there are riots in my area, how will my family be better provided for if I call my PR agent and have him put out a press release?

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Alright, round 2.

A militia unit doesn't exist to defend others, the people who join that militia unit band together to defend themselves. They aren't going to go door-to-door looking to defend those who have chosen to be helpless.

If your goal is not to defend the people, then you are not a militia, you a cabal, and need to be shunned. A militia exist's to defend the defenceless, not hole up in a bunker.

Yes, the CASUAL dress. And what do they wear when there is something to do?? Hmmm, BDUs, perhaps? The only reason you don't know who around you is in a militia is because there is no officially approved casual dress. Some wear suits. Some wear jeans and t-shirts. Some wear dockers and polo shirts. Some wear dresses (yes, there are a fair number of females in units).

uhhh, no. the police have a uniform and the fire department has turn-out gear. Guess what the fire department has under that turn-out gear, uh-oh, polo's :rockwoot:

Hmm, durability. Utility. The ability to stand a better chance at not being seen. Lots of pockets. They look a heck of a lot better after sleeping in the dirt than a pair of khaki shorts and a polo shirt would!

In the woods, maybe. Of course new studies show that the patterns on old bdu's accually make you stand out in a wooded area, thats why they changed to digital. And in a urban setting, like, HERE, you stand out way more. Where do you plan on fighting. The woods don't do anyone any good.

Also, modern clothes are alot more durable than you give them credit for. I'm not saying wear office clothes. but a nice pair a denim cargo's are more durable than some 20 year old bdu. They even come with stotch guard!:rockwoot:

Ok, if you can show me why having a professional PR firm at my disposal is important to the task of defending myself and my family, and providing for them in times of disaster or emergency, I may consider it. Really. If there are riots in my area, how will my family be better provided for if I call my PR agent and have him put out a press release?

A professional pr firm is not need, just a little thought. Think, if a stranger comes to your door and says he want's to be near your kids, wife, and other loved ones, while packing alot of heat, what would you do. Are you going to let someone who just look like he came from the soup kitchen near anything of yours besides the barrel of your gun. Other people have guns 2.

Last edited:

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    THIRD: thanks to your username I cant get that damn song riders on the storm out of my head :):[/quote]

Actually My username came from a book Trilogy and what I was called by my Riding Brothers after I rode my Motorcycle during a severe thunderstorm and tornado on a dare.:cool::nuts::rockwoot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    :twocents:
    NO militia is affiliated with the government. Read your history. You are missing the entire concept of what the militia is, and what the founding fathers understood as its proper place.

Keep'em coming, folks. I here all night, and I'm not backing down.[/QUOTE]

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Key on the word domestic there. Who exactly constitutes a domestic enemy? Our founders sour be considered a bunch of hillbilly rednecks today going around in their ragged clothes and their deermuskets.

A statesman makes law that holds himself accountable to the citizenry. A tyrant makes law that protects him from his subjects. Our police departments can't, won't or refuse to police their own. Every other entity of our government is the same. You want those entities to defend you from domestic enemies? I'll pass.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I agree that most of what people think of as militias have bad reputations and maybe not even deserved. However someone like myself who is very busy does not have the time to dedicate to some of the goverment supported reserve groups. However I would like to find a way to be a part of group to help in desperate times for the people of Indiana. Be it natural disaster or red dawn.

Then you can join RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service) or contact the IDHS and volunteer with them. FEMA also has free training online for you learn how to help out in a emergency situation by working with the incident management teams. It's called NIMS (National Incident Management System) and it is free.

FEMA | Federal Emergency Management Agency

Top Bottom