Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you guys want to help out in times of emergency, disaster, SHTF...do yourself a favor and register on the FEMA website and take the FREE NIMS courses they offer on the National Incident Management System. Another thing you can do is get certified in First Aid, your local Red Cross can setup the classes and don't forget about CPR training either. You might as well be useful as well as decorative.

FEMA | Federal Emergency Management Agency

Last edited:

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I really can't answer this. A militia would only be as favorable as the people in it and the results of their actions. If ever need be I will defiantly band with likeminded individuals. At this time I'm still just trying to prepare myself and my family.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    and if youre not part of the militia, then how are decisions made?

I can't say for certain, but in the Egyptian instance people organized themselves and their neighborhoods after they saw the clouds on the horizon. Their intent was to protect themselves and their property. I believe the key difference between them and what is typically thought of as a "militia," is that the Egyptians were organized for defense, and didnt necessarily have like minds politically. Conversely, the common concept (either rightly or wrongly) of militias, is a group of old fat white guys Southern Baptists, that complain about illegals, minorities, and get together to plan for the upcoming civil war, in which they plan on being active participants.

I've never been a fan of militias as they are portrayed currently. Now, if you and your neighbors organize during a SHTF (zombies!) scenario to protect yourselves and your property, and are calling that a militia, no problem. :yesway:

...by the way, before I get hate mail from the Baptists, I'm a Southern Baptist... it was a joke

I guess it really is a matter of perception. While I agree there are some like what you describe--no doubt about it. And they will likely be the first either to run or be shot down doing something stupid. I mean really, I can lift a 5 lb weight for a few minutes every other day and call myself a bodybuilder. But the description doesn't match the reality.
    What I am referring to is people who train to work together to protect their families and possibly neighbors against marauders who slip past the guard barricades (if any) or who run out of food in the cities and decide to try raiding the country side. In that case, a well disciplined unit, even a small one, stands a much better chance than just a bunch of scared farmers and retired guys grabbing their shotguns and running out the front door. Thing is, it is important to begin to train together now because there may not be time later. In short, I'm not necessarily talking about a fighting unit that goes in search of an enemy but rather a fighting unit that defends against an attacking enemy. Either, I believe, could be called a militia.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    So long as they take the same oath to protect and defend that soldiers, and police take and as long as they are properly led.

This is the rub, militia can easily become a mob without good leadership.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    so can soldiers and police

Agreed. Lots of Buford T Justice's out there, E5RANGER.

As far as militia taking oaths and such, that is not why it is called a militia. A militia is composed of non-professionals. Taking an oath is really non-applicable. That would be like having to be deputized to have a LTCH.

Top Bottom