• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Ya because the guy shooting at you really gives a :poop: what you're wearing :rolleyes:

If I'm in a situation were what I wear is a deciding factor in wether I live or die, wouldn't the police or national guard be around or something. I'm not looking to replace them after all.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If I'm in a situation were what I wear is a deciding factor in wether I live or die, wouldn't the police or national guard be around or something. I'm not looking to replace them after all.

HA! Ever walked west 38th Street or west Washington Street in Indianapolis?

But if we ever got to the point where the militia were an integral part of the defense of this country, I hope to hell you wouldn't care whether they chose military garb or rainbow tutus.

I smelled a little bit of elitism in your earlier posts. And it stunk.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    IDK, I have this image stuck in my head of a bunch of drunk rednecks running around in miliarty surplus bdu's and boots, shooting deer rifles. Being former military, it's a little offensive. Now if they dropped the bdu's and the militia name. Mabey a "uniform" that doesn't look military but still professial, I would think about it.

Uh-huh... that's like a paid fire department guy being pissed a volunteer firefighter wears similar gear.

Hey Einstein, the militia and the volunteers came first. :nuts:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    IDK, I have this image stuck in my head of a bunch of drunk rednecks running around in miliarty surplus bdu's and boots, shooting deer rifles. Being former military, it's a little offensive. Now if they dropped the bdu's and the militia name. Mabey a "uniform" that doesn't look military but still professial, I would think about it.

when I was active Army, and I would see a weekend warriors (national guard) with their scuffed up boots and their wrinkled uniforms with strings, etc, and they still said "U.S. ARMY" on them, I was offended. but then after 9/11 the national guard started getting shot at in the same places I was getting shot at, and all that former BS went out the window. if a man is willing to die for his country I dont care what kind of uniform he wears, or what his sexual preference is, or what god he prays too if any, or even if he is wearing coveralls or butt naked. if he is willing to fight beside me, I will respect them just the same.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    You can buy BDUs at any surplus store. As you know, there is a lot more to boot camp than just learning appearance standards. As far as being within regulations while in uniform, you should see what the Special Forces guys look like when they're deployed. In a true SHTF situation nobody is going to be considered with any of that.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    You can buy BDUs at any surplus store. As you know, there is a lot more to boot camp than just learning appearance standards. As far as being within regulations while in uniform, you should see what the Special Forces guys look like when they're deployed. In a true SHTF situation nobody is going to be considered with any of that.

yeah, i did :cool:

im saying ..... you are focusing on the petty stuff like I did before. its not about what your wearing in a ranger grave, its about what your standing for.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Uh-huh... that's like a paid fire department guy being pissed a volunteer firefighter wears similar gear.

Hey Einstein, the militia and the volunteers came first. :nuts:

Actually, it would be like the fire department guy being pissed about some guy showing up a fire with turn-out gear he got off ebay and a garden hose. Volunteer firefighters are 501(c)(3) organizations that get real firefighter training, funding, and basically do all the stuff a real firefighter would do, their just not paid. And most if not all try yearly to be paid firefighters.

It's not elitism. If a bunch of guy's show up at a hostage situation with guns, the police will tell them to get the hell out. Why? Because their not poperly trained. Thats the difference.

A militia can do alot of good. A 501(c)(3) 2nd amendent right charity can do all sorts of things. Fundraiser's, gun shoots, speeches, crime awarness, disaster response, searches, even security for events or groups that don't have the money to pay a security firm. As i have said before, I'm not against them, but the image of a bunch of gun-toting, crazy-eyed, bdu wearing looey's has got to go.

Also, the national guard doesn't count as a militia, The Indiana Guard Reserve is official militia of indiana. But for the purposes of this discussion, I'm talking about militia's not affiliated with the goverment.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Actually, it would be like the fire department guy being pissed about some guy showing up a fire with turn-out gear he got off ebay and a garden hose. Volunteer firefighters are 501(c)(3) organizations that get real firefighter training, funding, and basically do all the stuff a real firefighter would do, their just not paid. And most if not all try yearly to be paid firefighters.

It's not elitism. If a bunch of guy's show up at a hostage situation with guns, the police will tell them to get the hell out. Why? Because their not poperly trained. Thats the difference.

A militia can do alot of good. A 501(c)(3) 2nd amendent right charity can do all sorts of things. Fundraiser's, gun shoots, speeches, crime awarness, disaster response, searches, even security for events or groups that don't have the money to pay a security firm. As i have said before, I'm not against them, but the image of a bunch of gun-toting, crazy-eyed, bdu wearing looey's has got to go.

A perfect example of a militia I could support would be illegal imagration control, like what some are trying to do in AZ. Up here to would be a little harder to do that, buts a prime example.

Please let me know your general location. I would hate for any nearby militia acting in defense of this nation have to inconvenience you with their untrained efforts and wanna-be uniforms as they attempt to create a means of identifying themselves. I'll be sure to steer them towards the folks who don't give a **** about their credentials or training or fashion faux pas, but will be just as happy to have them help save a life or two.

Yes, it is elitism, friend.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Please let me know your general location. I would hate for any nearby militia acting in defense of this nation have to inconvenience you with their untrained efforts and wanna-be uniforms as they attempt to create a means of identifying themselves. I'll be sure to steer them towards the folks who don't give a **** about their credentials or training or fashion faux pas, but will be just as happy to have them help save a life or two.

Yes, it is elitism, friend.

Explain to me how wearing bdu's is a unique identifier of your militia? Wouldn't a shirt or hat or something, with mabey a name on it be better?
    Forgive me if a bunch of guy's wearing bdu's with holes in them that don't cover their beer bellies and carrying deer rifles doesn't inspire confidence.

Also what enemy are you defending against? And why is a militia needed to defend against them? As has been stated many times, indiana has ALOT of trained, well funded pro's standing at the ready. And like or not, image is a big part of the game.

I have no problem with banding together IF we are invaded.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Are there even any non-government militia groups left in Indiana? That stuff seemed to flare up after the murder of Vicki Weaver,Sam Weaver, and seventeen little children at Waco TX...and then it seemed to kind of fade away. What was that...about 1992 to 1994 or so? I believe there was a local woman that was kind of a militia spokesperson back then but I can not think of her name. Anyone remember Carl Klang? He used to have cassette tapes of his patriot songs for sale at most of the gun shows back then. I think the OKC bombing(s) brought a quick end to the "militia movement", putting them in a ghastly light, no longer the hero cowboys that were protecting America at night.

:popcorn:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Are there even any non-government militia groups left in Indiana? That stuff seemed to flare up after the murder of Vicki Weaver,Sam Weaver, and seventeen little children at Waco TX...and then it seemed to kind of fade away. What was that...about 1992 to 1994 or so? I believe there was a local woman that was kind of a militia spokesperson back then but I can not think of her name. Anyone remember Carl Klang? He used to have cassette tapes of his patriot songs for sale at most of the gun shows back then. I think the OKC bombing(s) brought a quick end to the "militia movement", putting them in a ghastly light, no longer the hero cowboys that were protecting America at night.

:popcorn:

There are a few. Most have a low profile, either on purpose or just bad p.r. others are more gun club's than militia.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Actually, it would be like the fire department guy being pissed about some guy showing up a fire with turn-out gear he got off ebay and a garden hose.

So all of us guys ( and there's a lot) with Ar's, Ak's, FAL's, etc.....are we just considered to be carrying your hypothetical "garden hose"?

Believe it or not, we aren't all "beer-bellied hillbillys with single shot scatterguns"

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    So all of us guys ( and there's a lot) with Ar's, Ak's, FAL's, etc.....are we just considered to be carrying your hypothetical "garden hose"?

Believe it or not, we aren't all "beer-bellied hillbillys with single shot scatterguns"

I understand their not all like that. And I'm not trying rag on militia's (I guess your apart of one by your post), I'm trying to look into a few (not easy). But do you see my point? Public Relations is a big thing. The military has a whole division for just that. If your apart of a militia, power to you. I would join if i saw one I could believe in. And yes, any one militia might have more firepower than some countries, but what good does it do you the public you wish to defend doesn't trust you. All the things I mentioned earlier do just that, build trust. professional looking uniforms, public activities, and credential or 2 do all that, build trust.

If you can explain to me how you can defend a public that doesn't trust you I'll take it all back.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

yeah, i did :cool:

im saying ..... you are focusing on the petty stuff like I did before. its not about what your wearing in a ranger grave, its about what your standing for.

Thread jack:

My best friend who was an E5 Ranger(82nd Airborne) before he got out and the few stories he tells me(I don't bring it up and he's not a big fan of talking about most of it) about Special Forces usually revolves around how they raided a building, arrested one in "street clothes" and once the SF is alone, he starts speaking English again and tells them to let him the **** go because he has **** to do.:):

/thread jack

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I agree that most of what people think of as militias have bad reputations and maybe not even deserved. However someone like myself who is very busy does not have the time to dedicate to some of the goverment supported reserve groups. However I would like to find a way to be a part of group to help in desperate times for the people of Indiana. Be it natural disaster or red dawn.

Top Bottom