What do you make of the INGO reputation system?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When I first started here I liked the Rep system a lot. It felt good to get Rep and feel as if others agreed with what I had said or posted. I admit I haven't given out as much as I should have though. Slowly over time I've noticed Rep Cliques that seem to just give out rep to each other to see how much they can get. Rep has become a commodity for some users. I've seen some posters Rep almost double over night some how. Like anything else it started out for the good but some have found ways to abuse it. I still think it does a service and is nice to receive, just need to use it as intended. :twocents:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Abused and has no value anymore.

Rep isn't even given to people who GIVE STUFF AWAY, but it's given away for merely posting in a certain thread.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IMHO it has far more to do with Cliques and buddies than it does to content and knowledge. I see more people posting about REP to someone for being a smart A$$ than saying something relevant, meaningful or useful in some manner.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    So this is to become a forum where you can't rep who ya want when you want! Whats next ! Limit the amount of posts one can post in any given day!! More regulation is just what we need, It's working for the current political administration!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    when i first goined it was a great way to know who on here really knew there guns. now it seams its more who posts alot of meaningless stuff and folks rep them for it.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Here's how I use my rep.

If I find a good post, I'll rep it and tell them why. If by 11:00 PM, I haven't found any good rep worthy posts, I give it to random people for fun. Why waste it right? ;)

Anyway, I think it's fine. It's meaningless, but you CAN use it to drop notes to people who's posts you like, and it also adds a level of "goof-off-ness" (that's a trademarked word by me so don't try to steal it) that lightens the mood and creates fun on a sometimes uptight forum.

If people take it for what it is, it's fine. If people get their panties in a bunch over it, they probably have bigger problems in their lives.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Seems like it's the same as every other rep system on every other board: not particularly useful. Points are given more for snark or as an "i agree" kinda thing, rather than really useful stuff. Nothing wrong with that and not a reason to do away with the system, IMHO. I think it's a fun little feature overall, even if it doesn't serve a serious purpose.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I like the rep. system for the most part.

The small part that I don't like is when someone gives negitive rep because they
    don't agree with the norm, or have a different opinion than most on that discussion.
    I have chosen not participate in more than a few discussions because I knew I would get flamed.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have wondered about this don't know so I will ask, can you see other persons User CP? who posted the Rep? do members Rep them selves? will they go blind? " I have never done this buy the way." Thanks in advance. :n00b:

No member including mods can see any UserCP but his/her own. It is not possible to rep yourself. If you click the scales on one of your posts, it will show you your own total rep-point count and any comments you've gotten on that post. I don't think anyone's gone blind from trying, but if they have, their palms are probably too hairy to type correctly. ;)

jmarriott: Yes, but that hearkens back to the days when Fenway was giving a whole TEN POINTS with one of his reps and had far and away the most points on the board. :) In other words, to find folks with other comments, you have to look at the folks who don't have badges yet.

HTH!

Blessings,
    Bill

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I could honestly give a rat's a** less.
    I have made some good friends on this site.
    Some of them have turned out to be great friends.

So what I have more rep than most.
    What do I get for it, a prize?
    Nope....not a damn thing.

Cry me a river.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    It's a big part of INGO.

It has become a very abused system and lost most of its meaning.

I still like it and think it could be of value if somehow overhauled so less abuse could take place.

How to cut down on abuse? I have no idea, maybe some of the forum savvy could come up with some ideas.

I would like to see it maintained but it needs some kind of major overhaul to be of any use.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So this is to become a forum where you can't rep who ya want when you want! Whats next ! Limit the amount of posts one can post in any given day!! More regulation is just what we need, It's working for the current political administration!

Where did you get that idea? The man just asked for people's opinions. If he wanted to do what you suggest, he just would have done it.

:chillpill::chillpill: <==Take two of these. Woooo-saaaaaa..... Woooo-saaaaaa...... :):

Blessings,
    Bill

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I could honestly give a rat's a** less.
    I have made some good friends on this site.
    Some of them have turned out to be great friends.

So what I have more rep than most.
    What do I get for it, a prize?
    Nope....not a damn thing.

Cry me a river.

Apparently this was a good post.
    I was repped for it. ;)

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    It's a big part of INGO.

It has become a very abused system and lost most of its meaning.

I still like it and think it could be of value if somehow overhauled so less abuse could take place.

How to cut down on abuse? I have no idea, maybe some of the forum savvy could come up with some ideas.

I would like to see it maintained but it needs some kind of major overhaul to of any use.

I've never seen any rep system ever work "as intended" anywhere else, despite all the same complaints seen here. It always ends up being used the exact same way it is on INGO. my :2cents: just take it for what it is, don't try to put more stock in it than it deserves.

If someone is a good/bad person, you don't need a interweb point system to tell ya that.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    When I joined this site, I thought there was an option to turn off the reputation visibility. I can't seem to find that option now. I know Scutter has his turned off.

As far as what I think about it.............

Rep is a fun little game we play around here. There may be some "cliques", but they are not exclusive. New people come in and out all the time. Those who "rep whore" spend ALOT of time on INGO. For me personally, this is my Facebook. I spend most of my social internet time on this site. The whole "game" has really lightened me up a bit on this board. Since the banning of race and religion talk, I had to find something else to do. So now instead of arguing with people about age old debates, I make friends. I see that as a positive thing. If INGO was limited to gun talk only, traffic and member activity would plummet. Rep is just apart of the social side of ingo. Even if you "tightened" the rules on rep, it's still just someones opinion and means nothing in the real world. It was never an accurate gauge of anything. So I say, if you want to get rid of a small part of the fun that the regulars on this board have with the reputation system, then do away with it. I could really care less. I will still come to this board........at least for now.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    by one of your "friends" that rep anything you say just to get rep back in return thereby amassing a huge sum of....internet kudos?

Actually I pay a herd of midgets to log on and rep me.
    Just so I can hang with the cool kids.
    It's just not fair.
    I'm gonna go curl up in a fetal position and cry myself to sleep.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom