What Can a Glock Do That a 1911 or BHP Cannot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    And I also have seen too many people using the nylon shock buffers. They get smashed up too fast to claim there still isn't a battering issue.

I don't use the buffers, but wouldn't the tolerances of about any gun chew up a buffer? If you put a buffer in any polymer pistol I would expect it to get smashed too. I get what you're saying about polymer shock absorption, I'm just guessing all functioning pistols tolerances are too tight to stuff a piece of plastic in it and expect it to last very long. :dunno:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Are the new ones beefed up frames or did they change the recoil assy, or both ? Either way, still doesn't change the fact it is still steel to polymer impact vs steel to steel impact. I am a tool maker that has worked with hard metals for 20+ years. I see everyday the failure of hard metals from impact. I was not saying the NEW Delta's are junk. I was saying the Glocks will hold up to the battering better. Until a 1911 comes out and holds up to a caliber such as .357 sig running 40,000 PSI and again, if slide velocity is relative to bullet velocity, I would bet on the Glock every time.

And I also have seen too many people using the nylon shock buffers. They get smashed up too fast to claim there still isn't a battering issue.

The frames are beefed up. The only change in the recoil system is they come with a full length guide rod. It is still highly recommended that the Delta Elite owner be religious with spring changes.

I know you weren't trying to degrade the Delta's. Your post was just a good example of the point I was trying to make.

How do you know a 1911 couldn't handle a .357 sig? I'm sure someone, somewhere has done it but it isn't a common chambering for a 1911. I haven't seen an example of a .357 sig chambered 1911 with tens of thousands of rounds through it and I doubt you have either. Neither of us can say assuredly if there would be batter issues. If you know something I don't please share.

ETA: I missed your shock buffer edit. They get smashed up? That's the point. They smash a take the shock so the frame doesn't have to. A similar device would smash in any polymer gun as well.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Never "tuned the mags" (whatever that is) on Cathy's Rock, either. It just kept working. More than I can say for the jammamatic that was my Glock 23. Phooey, thing was a piece of crap, in the hands of multiple shooters.

you don't follow brianaenos.com either I take it?

maybe all these pro's should switch to RIA's

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How do you know a 1911 couldn't handle a .357 sig? I'm sure someone, somewhere has done it but it isn't a common chambering for a 1911. I haven't seen an example of a .357 sig chambered 1911 with tens of thousands of rounds through it and I doubt you have either. Neither of us can say assuredly if there would be batter issues. If you know something I don't please share.

Just look at a shock buffer anyone has in their .45 ( low pressure round with low velocity). The evidence on the buffer will answer if there is some battering. I can only take the next leap and imagine what the battering would be in something like .357 sig since I have never witnessed a 1911 chambered in it. On the other hand, I have shot many, many thousands of rounds thru my G22 and G35 using FULL powered .357 loads and if I handed you either one , you wouldn't find any evidence of battering.

Again, the 1911 is a fine weapon. I was just answering the initial op's question. I was only stating the Glock longevity was better than not only a 1911, but any steel / alloy framed guns that come to mind. Doesn't mean that I believe most 1911's will eventually crack, but rather the Glock will take much more punishment.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't use the buffers, but wouldn't the tolerances of about any gun chew up a buffer? If you put a buffer in any polymer pistol I would expect it to get smashed too. I get what you're saying about polymer shock absorption, I'm just guessing all functioning pistols tolerances are too tight to stuff a piece of plastic in it and expect it to last very long. :dunno:

You are right. I wouldn't use them either. If you use them, then all of a sudden it also become a realibilty issue as they flatten out. If you drop one in a Glock, it will flatten out just as fast. The idea of the buffer is to prevent steel to steel impact. In a Glock, the polymer frame provides that protection but I have never witnessed anything " flattening " out.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    you don't follow brianaenos.com either I take it?

maybe all these pro's should switch to RIA's

Not sexy, stylish, or fashionable enough for them. Never mind that they work far better than 50% of the Glocks that I've owned.

No, I don't follow Brian Enos. He's a fine game player. Which makes him utterly irrelevant to me when it comes to choosing a combat firearm.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    I was only stating the Glock longevity was better than not only a 1911, but any steel / alloy framed guns that come to mind.
    That is strictly your opinion, not documented fact, we'll have to wait another 76 years to see if that is actually the case.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    No, I don't follow Brian Enos. He's a fine game player. Which makes him utterly irrelevant to me when it comes to choosing a combat firearm.

so the millions of rounds a year fired in Production/Single Stack divisions mean nothing to you... interesting. Those, of course, being the "combat pistols".

His site isn't as much about him as it is all of the shooters who go and actually shoot their guns, not talk about them, carry them or leave them sitting in a safe.

Reminds me, I need to order more ammo for next month...

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That is strictly your opinion, not documented fact, we'll have to wait another 76 years to see if that is actually the case.

76 years ? Now be honest. Tell all of us how many frames or slides do you know that have cracked as opposed to Glocks Kabooming ? I have never met anyone that has seen more Glock kaboomms then cracked frames. We don't really need to wait 76 years. I was refering to the longevity in terms of number of rounds thru a particular weapon... Not the longevity of a design/ platform. The 1911 is a awesome platform. It is a legend ! I was sick when I was in the military and heard they were going to do away with it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    they last longer sitting in the safe instead of being fired, ya know ;)

I was in went they went away, thought people were gonna lose their minds over it.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    76 years ? Now be honest. Tell all of us how many frames or slides do you know that have cracked as opposed to Glocks Kabooming ?
    But that is not what you wrote, you wrote; I was only stating the Glock longevity was better than not only a 1911, but any steel / alloy framed guns that come to mind.

That is what I was replying too, an opinion being written as fact, maybe that is not how you intended it to be interpreted.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Where exactly are the Colt Delta frames "beefed up"?

Around the slide stop hole. Thats where the original Delta's cracked. There is also a relief cut in the frame rail above the slide stop hole that relieves stress to that part of the frame. Also, the blued Delta's seemed to be more susceptible to cracking. Current Delta's are only available in stainless.
    so the millions of rounds a year fired in Production/Single Stack divisions mean nothing to you... interesting. Those, of course, being the "combat pistols".

HICKMAN said:
    His site isn't as much about him as it is all of the shooters who go and actually shoot their guns, not talk about them, carry them or leave them sitting in a safe.

Reminds me, I need to order more ammo for next month...

The entire world doesn't revolve around gun games. There are plenty of game modifications that aren't absolutely necessary.

XtremeVel said:
    76 years ? Now be honest. Tell all of us how many frames or slides do you know that have cracked as opposed to Glocks Kabooming ? I have never met anyone that has seen more Glock kaboomms then cracked frames. We don't really need to wait 76 years. I was refering to the longevity in terms of number of rounds thru a particular weapon... Not the longevity of a design/ platform. The 1911 is a awesome platform. It is a legend ! I was sick when I was in the military and heard they were going to do away with it.

It really is just opinion. That and you're comparing a glaring design flaw with the fact that things inevitably wear out with use.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But that is not what you wrote, you wrote; I was only stating the Glock longevity was better than not only a 1911, but any steel / alloy framed guns that come to mind.

That is what I was replying too, an opinion being written as fact, maybe that is not how you intended it to be interpreted.

Just look at a shock buffer anyone has in their .45 ( low pressure round with low velocity). The evidence on the buffer will answer if there is some battering. I can only take the next leap and imagine what the battering would be in something like .357 sig since I have never witnessed a 1911 chambered in it. On the other hand, I have shot many, many thousands of rounds thru my G22 and G35 using FULL powered .357 loads and if I handed you either one , you wouldn't find any evidence of battering.

Again, the 1911 is a fine weapon. I was just answering the initial op's question. I was only stating the Glock longevity was better than not only a 1911, but any steel / alloy framed guns that come to mind. Doesn't mean that I believe most 1911's will eventually crack, but rather the Glock will take much more punishment.

Read the entire post. Again, I was not implying that the Glock would outlast the 1911 platform . Heck, far as I know Glock might not be around in 76 years. I was stating the longevity of a Glock is superior to a steel framed weapon. Try buying a Glock and after firing several thousands of rounds thru it then see what you think. If you can fire tens of thousands of rounds thru it in a few years and see no evidence of battering, then compare it to a steel frame with equal number of rounds, you might not have to wait that 76 years to have your answer. ;)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

You're missing the point. When you see a smashed up shock buffer you are seeing that it has done exactly what it was designed to do. They are supposed to smash up. Are you equally shocked we you witness hammers drive nails or wrenches turn bolts? If someone were to make and install a nylon buffer inside a glock where the frame and slide contacts on recoil the buffer would smash over time. It offers no evidence whatsoever to the durability of the frame.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Around the slide stop hole. Thats where the original Delta's cracked. There is also a relief cut in the frame rail above the slide stop hole that relieves stress to that part of the frame.
    The frames are the same size as any of the other Model O frames, the relief cut isn't new, Colt first started the "10mm cutout" on the originals frame rail in late 1987/early '88 and carried it over to all the Model O frames.

10mmcutout.jpg

Top Bottom