What Can a Glock Do That a 1911 or BHP Cannot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    My glocks=

play_the_violin_get_a_warm_fuzzy_fe.jpg

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Notice you don't see a lot bad talk about a BHP, especially the older ones. Why, because there isn't anything bad.:twocents: :rockwoot:

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    True, the Colt 1911 pattern can't fire double action, but then the Glock can't fire single action. Oh, and I've never handled a 1911 with that mushy trigger that the Glock has on all its guns.
    A Glock cannot fire double action either, they have no second strike capability without partially re-cocking the action.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    You guys are always talking about the near 100% failure rate of 1911's, and I have to wonder: Are we talking about stock 1911A1 with 230gr FMJ? I've been around 1911A1s all my life, and I've never seen the sort of failure rate you guys always talk about. In fact, failures have been so rare for myself and everyone I know, that I can remember them, because they stand out for their rarity.

In fact, if they failed at the rate you guys always claim, I'm amazed that they managed to bandage one together long enough to make the military trials in 1911!!:dunno:

What you guys. There's no opinion in the above. Where did I mention a failure rate.

I've seen exactly 1 1911 survive an entire class without a malfunction
    I've seen exactly 1 Glock malfunction in a class.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I've seen exactly 1 1911 survive an entire class without a malfunction
    I've seen exactly 1 Glock malfunction in a class.

What type of classes and shooting are you talking about exactly?
    And How many of the two types of guns do you see per class apprx.?

Just curious.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    It is more a issue of " longevity " for me than anything. I am more a range person and rarely shoot factory ammo. The decision for me was between the issue of a " Glock kaboom " or possible slide or frame cracking due to slide/frame battering.
    SNIP

A 1911 with the proper weight spring and recoil bushing will make all the worries go away on frame battering, plus you can shoot +P+ and reloads all day to eternity. So this issue is a mute point.

Reload's + Glock ='s Kaboom.

Glocks was the craze and every PD in America was getting them because of the deals they was getting. Now look at how many dept's are changing away from them.

I'll take a hammer fired gun any day over a striker fired.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A 1911 with the proper weight spring and recoil bushing will make all the worries go away on frame battering, plus you can shoot +P+ and reloads all day to eternity. So this issue is a mute point.

Reload's + Glock ='s Kaboom.

Glocks was the craze and every PD in America was getting them because of the deals they was getting. Now look at how many dept's are changing away from them.

I'll take a hammer fired gun any day over a striker fired.

Proper weight spring ? Tweeked differently than what the factory would recommend ? Now, if Glocks can be thrown under the bus for their unsupported chambers ( in select calibers only ) when there is a aftermarket alternative to elimnate this issue, how's it fair to not hold steel frames guns accountable for the battering when running factory weight springs are used ?

The worst experience I have ever had was in a early Colt Delta Elite. Now, with the factory springs, that gun battered itself and I would of bet it's life would of been short. IMO, there is no comparison to that steel frame gun and a Glock 20 on the issue of longevity (barring any kaboom of course). The Glock 20 would handle any load with ease without any signs of battering.

I am by no means greatly experienced. But, I have seen 1 Glock Kaboom and also 3 steel or alloy frames that were cracked. I would also venture a guess... A guess that most people have seen more cracked frames than kabooms. Now, I realize that's not really fair.. The 1911 is a fine weapon and has been around decades longer then the poly's. It still doesn''t change the fact many decisions are based on what a person has actually seen. Again, it's also a issue where I feel I have more control over the kaboom issue. I have eliminated the unsupported barrel issue in various calibers ( use supported aftermarket barrels) and follow safe reloading procedures. I feel no more at risk for a kaboom in a Glock than I do in any other gun I reload for.

I have never paid too much mind to the trend of the PD or Military. I simply choose what has worked well for me.

After about 5 years, I'm still not 100% sold on the striker either. Even tho they have performed 100% for me ( both Glocks and XD's ), it still troubles me not having that ability for a second strike if the need ever was there.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Drop onto concrete without the owner crying a little bit? :dunno:

:laugh:

True story. The "modern" guns are so ugly concrete scars can only improve their looks :D Another thing they can do is be carried without giving you back aches! That's about the only things they can really do "better," IMHO.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Everything I own can be taken down in well under 30 seconds. Actually, probably closer to 10 seconds than 30. All except the Ruger mark II's. I need a good couple of hours for them ( half hour of trying and rest cooling off, cussing, and pacing). :xmad:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    What can a Glock do that a 1911 can't?
    Melt.
    Disassemble itself when dropped. Remember the DOJ drop test?
    Fire when chambering a round. AKA the six part 'voluntary' upgrade.
    Fire out of battery. Watch the slide of a Glock with a soft recoil spring move back slightly as the trigger is pulled, I've seen it first hand.
    Fail to cycle with a light mounted, Ask the ISP about that one.
    Have every problem from the factory blamed on shooter error or bad ammo. How can you have 'Glock Perfection' if you make a product that can, on occasion, fail just like everyone else does?

Top Bottom