Wha? NEW Remington R51 in 9mm +P chambering?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Hmmmm, fixed barrel, non-blowback 9x19 and will be available with a threaded barrel.

Sounds like a great suppressor host with a good micro 9mm silencer like a Thompson Machine Poseidon 9.

Price seems reasonable too!

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Depending on trigger feel, I might be interested when the .40 version drops. I'm ok with a grip safety if it comes with a true 1911 feel to the trigger.

It does, however, look like its going to go "pew pew pew" when you shoot it.

Double Tap is coming out with a .40. :)
    doubletap-660x287.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I am glad to see Remington come out with a new pocket pistol designed for +P rounds. Not many semi-auto pistols are +P rated without a disclaimer about shortening it's service life. The smaller Kahr PM9 is +p rated but the price is twice that of the Remington.

I am all for more choices. Who knows, someone who would never have bought a pistol might just find this one irresistible.

Voodoo574

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    South Bend/ Mishawaka
    Yeah, how DARE a gunmaker give us MORE options for concealable pistols with different designs than a Glock or (God forbid) a ****ing Kel Tec. They should know better. :rolleyes:
    What the hell makes you think I'm a glock fan. I just happen to think it doesnt have any eye appeal. And with only 7 rounds it limits the target buyers that are used to having at least 10 rounds in a pistol. Nothing wrong with them trying new things but the focus group they used could have done a better job. So thanks for the sarcasm there Skippy. :bash:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And with only 7 rounds it limits the target buyers that are used to having at least 10 rounds in a pistol.

There's apparently a huge market for subcompacts, and none of the single stacks or revolvers hold 10 rounds.

Direct competitors side:
    Shield = immensely popular
    XDS = immensely popular

Revolver competitors:
    LCR = immensely popular
    J-frame = immensely popular

The looks may turn some off, but I bet the price point turns more on.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is Remington bringing back a classic! The new gun is a polymer version of this classic.

General Patton was known to carry these now and again, that is all the testament I need!

Remington_pederson_51.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There's apparently a huge market for subcompacts, and none of the single stacks or revolvers hold 10 rounds.

Direct competitors side:
    Shield = immensely popular
    XDS = immensely popular

Revolver competitors:
    LCR = immensely popular
    J-frame = immensely popular

The looks may turn some off, but I bet the price point turns more on.

Yup. It has two more rounds than my current carry gun. I like good looking guns, but functionality trumps looks every time. Though I am still leaning towards getting a Shield, that is only because it is more familiar to me. If this one has lower felt recoil, is comfortable in an IWB holster, is reliable and fits my hand well, it may be the one I purchase. Time will tell.

Voodoo574

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    South Bend/ Mishawaka

OK your right. There is a big market there. But in all actuality we can make predictions on this forum till our fingers cramp up and we all have carpal tunnel. The sales numbers will be the answer. Everyone of us has our own opinion, but it won't make a damn bit of difference to the guy at the sales counter looking to buy one. I hope Remington does outstanding sales with this. I never wish bad luck on any manufacturer. But until these get out into the hands of the public for some real use and abuse, it's all just speculation.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    This is Remington bringing back a classic! The new gun is a polymer version of this classic.

General Patton was known to carry these now and again, that is all the testament I need!

This is reported to be all metal, no polymer other than I assume the actual grip panels. The frame is supposed to be aluminum.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I like the looks, I like the dehorning. I like the aluminum frame. I like 9mm. I am glad they got larger than normal sights on there as it makes plinking with it for practice more enjoyable. I like the price point at a realistic shelf price of around 325, I think I will probably be buying one of these. The design is nothing new so its already proven. I think I will take one. Not sure what I am going to have to get rid of to get it, but I will more than likely own one.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    One thing is for certain, Remington, the company has sure dropped the ball in terms of Marketing...

Firearms - Shotguns - Rifles - Handguns - Ammunition - Remington Guns - Home of America's Oldest Gunmaker

Announcement has been made, but no mention of it on their website? If you click on "Handgun" under Products you go to the R1911 page.

Compare that to how Ruger handles marketing of their new products...

I think this is why so many Remington introductions fall flat. Their entire marketing dept should be FIRED.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Only having a grip safety would allow it to be able to be put into action quickly. But quite frankly, it doesn't appeal to me because it only has a grip safety. Although some might, I wouldn't want to only rely on the grip safety of a 1911.
    I give Remington credit for building something different. But too bad they couldn't build a conventional safety into it for those who might prefer to have one.
    However it just might become a classic collectible if its production doesn't last very long.

Top Bottom