• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have to say, I got lucky. I have been stockpiling for about 10 years and I would really have to work at shooting it all. My dad has always preached that it wont be the guns that disappear, it will be the ammo. So I started buying large bulk of everything and I also learned how to reload. As of right now I have 14 bulk packs of .22LR, and 3000 or more rounds of 9mm, 40, 45, 45LC, 38spl., 44 Mag, 380, 357mag, 30-30, 30-06, 308 and about 10000 rounds of .223. Then I have enough powder, primers, brass and projectiles to reload it all again. If I knew when this madness was going to end I would probably sell some, but who knows. What I missed the boat on was 30 round mags. I have figured out that even if you prepare one thing or another will be overlooked.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I was recently talking to a friend of mine that owns a gun shop and according to him all large ammo manufactures have stopped taking orders. This is due to the fact that they already have so many orders that they cant produce enough ammo in a year to fill them all. That of course is a second hand story, so take it for what you will. I did come from a pretty reliable source, I will say that. Something that also backs it up is, websites have stopped taking back orders. There has to be a reason.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I took 22lr for granted.

Granted, I had probably 15 or 16 bulk package boxes stashed away before the run started in December, but am almost afraid to shoot much until I know I can replace it. When it does come back, I will replace it 2 for 1 on what my son and I shoot up.

Everything else we shoot, we are good to go. I started casting my own bullets last year, have some nice moulds and several hundered pounds of lead. I bought several sleeves of primers last year, a couple of 4lb jugs of powder and have more brass than I know what to do with for my 9mm, 38/357, and 45's. It actually is cheaper for us to shoot 38's with cast bullets and 4 grains W231 than it is 22lr right now.

I have not shot .308 or 7.62x39 just for fun plinking in years ever since the cheap import ammuntion dried up. What I have back in those two calibers is for sighting in and SHTF now. I have been keeping all the boxer primed .308 cases I had shot in case I ever decide to load it. Thinking of getting a heavy bullet mould for that and loading some subsonic rounds if I find me a cheap single shot .308 to suppress.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I took 22lr for granted.

Granted, I had probably 15 or 16 bulk package boxes stashed away before the run started in December, but am almost afraid to shoot much until I know I can replace it. When it does come back, I will replace it 2 for 1 on what my son and I shoot up.

I am wondering IF we will ever get back to any kind of normalcy. I used to keep minimal amounts of ammo around. Now, even though I don't have ammo, I won't/can't pay the high prices that are currently being charged when you can find some. Once things settle down, I plan on stocking up on all my calibers and keep a minimum inventory and replace boxes as I shoot it.

If you, I and I imagine a whole lot of others are thinking the same way, how will the demand slow?

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    and for the reason people will pay to stockpile. Wal-Mart's are keeping 22 under the counter and selling it to their friends to put on sites for far more than anyone should pay

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I learned that we can't take firearms or ammunition for granted because all it takes is the right combination of events for them to nearly disappear!

I guess I also learned that multiple-victim gun homicides are not henious crimes enough to get people to talk about gun control when they victims are adults.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    While ammo is still scarce I definitely learned not to pass up a good deal when I see one. Week before the S.H. shooting I had 2000 of 9mm Agulia in my cart for $398 and I didn't buy it.... Last November I had an opportunity to but a brand new Saiga in .223, 5.45 or 7.62 for $380 and I passed up on that as well. Still kicking myself for those two. I did however buy 800 rounds of .223 ammo from Cabelas with two free ammo boxes for a good price right before the panic but I can't shoot it because I can't get more.... catch 22....

Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Coming from a newer shooter, acquired a g23 last april and bought one box of 50 target rounds and 25 hd rounds it sucks not being able to enjoy a $500 investment like I would want to. Luckily I have friends with ammo for guns they no longer have that are willing to come up off some.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Coming from a newer shooter, acquired a g23 last april and bought one box of 50 target rounds and 25 hd rounds it sucks not being able to enjoy a $500 investment like I would want to. Luckily I have friends with ammo for guns they no longer have that are willing to come up off some.

You paid $900 for a g23?

Holy cow.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I disagree. There was a shortage when Obama was elected four years ago. From all the complaining I am seeing on here, nobody learned.

I wouldn't swear by it - I could be wrong. But this is different than it was when O was elected the first time. This has been far worse overall in terms of availability and there are 9 million new shooters.

It says $500?:dunno:

He changed it after I quoted him.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I did? Unaware that I changed my post that hasnt been edited, not being a dick but you quoted my post saying $500. Just wanted to clear that up I never said $900.

:dunno:

It said $900. That's why I replied in the first place. The quote is directly attached to your post, so when you edit it the quote changes as well.

If you edit within a certain period of time after posting, the little "edited by..." thing on the bottom doesn't show up ;)

In any case, I've got no dog in this fight. I just thought $900 was a lot for a Glock.

EDIT: see - I just edited this post :)

Top Bottom