• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcap412

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Greenwood,IN
    I learned that it sucks to be a new shooter when things like this happen. The worst part is i just finished building my first AR 3-4 days before S.H. happened. I picked up only 200 or so rounds to get it sighted and start breaking it in, wish I would have bought more now. I pick up ammo here and there as I find it at a decent price but it's not easy. I would love to get into reloading, but I can't even find a press or components anywhere to make that happen.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I learned that it sucks to be a new shooter when things like this happen. The worst part is i just finished building my first AR 3-4 days before S.H. happened. I picked up only 200 or so rounds to get it sighted and start breaking it in, wish I would have bought more now. I pick up ammo here and there as I find it at a decent price but it's not easy. I would love to get into reloading, but I can't even find a press or components anywhere to make that happen.

At least you got the gun before the madness. Ammo will come back. Check walmart frequently :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I know how you feel. I bought a 9mm and I decided today that I am going to put it in my safe for this season and learn how to shoot my 1911. I can't find ammo at a decent price and I only have about 200 cases to load and extra mags are on back order for 8-12 months I am told.

I do have components and mags for my .45 1911 though.:)

Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    :dunno:

It said $900. That's why I replied in the first place. The quote is directly attached to your post, so when you edit it the quote changes as well.

If you edit within a certain period of time after posting, the little "edited by..." thing on the bottom doesn't show up ;)

In any case, I've got no dog in this fight. I just thought $900 was a lot for a Glock.

EDIT: see - I just edited this post :)

No worries, I didn't edit the post, maybe an oversight or whatever the case may be I did pay 500 as previously mentioned not being a dick just making sure its posted correctly.

jcap412

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Greenwood,IN
    At least you got the gun before the madness. Ammo will come back. Check walmart frequently :)

I do, and seem to just miss it very frequently. I also found the Outdoor shop here in greenwood has plenty of brown bear 223, 5 box a day limit, and it's kinda sad you use to be able to buy it for $6-7...it's $15 now.

dantrom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Steuben Co.
    It's funny how I felt completely content with everything had before S.H. As soon as all of the price gouging and shortages started is whenni suddenly started feeling the need for more again.

Wes225

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lessons:

1. Always have a big enough supply to support the amount of shooting you do in about 6 months avg.

2. Stick to only a few calibers (ex. .22 , .223 and .45 only for me)

3. Don't ever think ammo will be plentiful.

4. Buy regardless of price (to a point, $1 per round is straight BS no matter how special it is.)

mikem1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    not over yet still need more .45 acp's and .357 mag. but a little here a little there.
    when it is time must start reloading, I think it will be the smart thing. :O

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have learned that one stupid kid can:

1) Boost sales of ridiculously priced firearms
    2) Create a national ammo crisis
    3) Spearhead inappropriate gun reform

I have also learned to stock up on ammo. I haven't shot a single round since January because I don't have that much. It sucks.

Are you calling the President a kid?:D

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I for one have learned a lesson i will not be caught again. the ammo shortage will not be over in my mind till i can go in to a store and pick up a box anytime i want

Colarmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greater Fort Wayne Area
    Well, I didn't believe it until I came home from class and saw 3 online retailers selling 9mm for less than .40/rd, it didn't last long, but it's been a long time since I've seen anything under .60/rd, and since one of those was a 50 rd box, I'm immensely comforted in my ammo buying future.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I actually saw 2-50 rd boxes of .17 at GM for $15.00 ea. I picked them up and rolled the boxes in the palm of my hand. It has been a while since I have seen anything that was not shotgun shells.

I found myself considering going over to Top Guns and picking up one of the lever action Henrys in .17 (I do not know if they have the .17 Henry but I do know that they have some Henry's).

I put the ammo back...

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I actually saw 2-50 rd boxes of .117 at GM ...

Um, come again?

The GM in Lafayette has tens of thousands of rounds of .17HMR, in case that's the round you were refering to. Seriously, shelves piled high with .17 by the crate.

Not much of anything else, and it's all over priced. an this was two weeks ago, maybe things have changed.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Just returned from the local gun and bow shop in Argos. Saw that they had some .22 on the shelf so I inquired as to price. Remington Thunderbolt $19, Winchester 40 grain hollow point $25. Oh did I mention this was for a box of 50? A WASR 10 $1200. Ratted out used shotguns at new prices. I told them that they had a real optimist setting the prices. Nice folks but no way am I dropping that kind of cash.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Um, come again?

The GM in Lafayette has tens of thousands of rounds of .17HMR, in case that's the round you were refering to. Seriously, shelves piled high with .17 by the crate.

Not much of anything else, and it's all over priced. an this was two weeks ago, maybe things have changed.

Indeed, and that was my point. .22 was nowhere to be found but one could find the .17 (I am having some serious issues with the auto spell. If it is not deciding that I should have extra 1's, it wants to put a period before all words. I get tired of correcting and miss some... Most likely op error. I'll get it worked out.)

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Indeed, and that was my point. .22 was nowhere to be found but one could find the .17 (I am having some serious issues with the auto spell. If it is not deciding that I should have extra 1's, it wants to put a period before all words. I get tired of correcting and miss some... Most likely op error. I'll get it worked out.)

I think that's what he was confused by. I was trying to figure out ".117" myself.

Top Bottom