• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    what i have learned is that all of the "survivalist" mentality was to own at least a 22 cal
    because that caliber would always be available. humm that did not work too well now did it? That was one of the first calibers to disappear and this ammo shortage is not even being caused by an event that would be considered an end of the world event

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    That's my main gripe. These events have completely killed my favorite hobby... I haven't fired a gun in months it feels like. I've got the shakes! Thankfully I never shoot much during the winter months, so I'm not "missing" it as bad as I would be if it were warmer.

Same here. When the itching gets real bad to where I cant take it anymore I grab one of my .22s and just shoot a few rounds into the yard. Unfortunately I get that craving to pull a trigger about everyday. I need to quit doing that before I run out.

I feel like I just described a crack addiction. :cool:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I DID!!!!!

After the 2009 ammo crisis I realized that it could easily happen again. Over the last four years I bought a box of .22's every single time I walked into Walmart and they were in stock. You can never have too much ammo on hand and it will never get any cheaper. The only people that I feel sorry for are new gun owners. Any person who tried to buy ammo in 2009 has absolutely no excuse for their lack of preparedness.

This is kinda me. Not a new gun owner, but just got back into it last Summer after a 15+ year layoff. Being a minimalist, I just bought what I thought I needed at the time. When I placed an order for 500 rounds of .45, I thought; "this sure is a lot of ammo!" :)

I will still remain a minimalist, but once I can start buying ammo again, I will build up my inventories of all calibers.

I already pick up a couple boxes of shotgun shells once a week or so if I wander in GM or Meijer. They both have what I want for $6/box.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I listened to Cam &Co yesterday and he was talking to a gun shop owner out West (I think) He mentioned one ammo manufacturer was running 21 shifts per week producing their product (you can't run more than that ) and all they were really trying to do at this point was to restock their own distributorships. On another front, think about this, this Internet thingy is cool, it allows us to visit here, help each other, all in all a good time. BUT if the Internet did NOT exist, for the most part this shortage would have never existed. Cleaning out local stores of ammo and selling on Gunbroker etc , would not be possible. Yes we would have some of it due to guys selling at gunshows but not enough to cause a shortage and drive up the prices.Sort of a double edged sword , the Internet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's over???? Shelves are still empty everywhere. I don't think we're out of the woods just yet.

It has been noted/documented and discussed to death that employees at the big box stores are intercepting ammo at the back door and posting it up on the interwebs. These folks do not make a lot of money by any stretch so the opportunity to put some cash in pockets is hard to resist. Quit paying the stupid prices and this will slow to a stop. Many ingo folks are doing the same thing....:rolleyes:
    I was ready for this. We had just finished re-stocking the cabinets from the years shooting right before sandyhook. Lucky in a way. We even had enough to sell some off at pre-panic to help folks out. Not selling anymore.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    When things get back to normal, stock up on reloading components and start reloading. You don't have to spend that much on equipment to get started. Buy primers, bullets, and powder weekly if you can. If not, buy ammo on a weekly basis. Before reloading. I would buy at least two boxes of handgun ammo a week. On top of other calibers. Don't go to the range and just blow through ammo. Static shooting can really be a waste of money. Join a group that trains, or take some training. Use what ammo you have wisely. When Obama got elected the first time, everyone should have seen it coming. It sucks for the new shooters, but I have no sympathy for those that sat on their hands.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When things get back to normal, stock up on reloading components and start reloading. You don't have to spend that much on equipment to get started. Buy primers, bullets, and powder weekly if you can. If not, buy ammo on a weekly basis. Before reloading. I would buy at least two boxes of handgun ammo a week. On top of other calibers. Don't go to the range and just blow through ammo. Static shooting can really be a waste of money. Join a group that trains, or take some training. Use what ammo you have wisely. When Obama got elected the first time, everyone should have seen it coming. It sucks for the new shooters, but I have no sympathy for those that sat on their hands.

This is what I am doing except I have not been able to get components yet. Well, projectiles at least. But I will find them.

I was pleasantly surprised that the equipment is not very expensive(single stage press) for something that should last a lifetime. I am looking forward to not only reloading to save some money, but to tailor my loads to my needs and to have a winter hobby.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    Try and hot the stores when they have deliveries, I have found out the dunhams delivery schedule and if you time it just right you can scope up lots of ammo at regular prices! Not to fond of paying these wildly inflated prices online!

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    Keep an eye out at the smaller less known places too! I found a small corner store in Columbus who sells guns! He gets ammo in on trades and sells it at regular prices! Just got to be lucky and be there soon after he gets it!

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    :spend:
    Investment firms always talk about dollar cost averaging. It's no different in the gun/ammo world but, DAAAAAANG, it's more painful buying "high" something that is tangible like ammo.
    I have "enough" to feed my AR, pistols and shotguns but there is still a lot of calibers that are in short supply if there is any at all. An empty gun is useless unless there's a bayonet attached to it. That said, I picked a bad time to add a bolt-action in a new caliber. Some of the INGO classified sellers are looking better by the day when the only ammo one can find is listed there.

Keep searching. Keep buying. Keep shooting.
    I only wish I had as much disposable money as this guy >>>>>> :spend:.

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Didn't learn a thing!:): I estimate my son and I still have enough of every caliber we normally shoot to last at least a few YEARS, considering the inventory of AMMO, lead, primers, power and projectiles we stock for reloading!

Will continue to add to our stock when prices get back to normal or when sales occur. Went to the range last week - didn't shoot too many 30-06's, not due to any ammo issue, just too darn cold for me!

Didn't sell any at any prices - not trying to make money on firearms or ammo. Just keep a large supply of both for our families use.

The only things we have bought since last October were some .308 bullets (Before the shooting). Did find 5K of mag small rifle primers at the Lafayette GS reasonable (bout $35/k) and some .308 bullets at the Kokomo show).

We will continue to build up a lot more primers when prices settle - want at least 5K of each type. Do want to purchase more WC 844 and 846 surplus powder later also.

I really hope everyone has learned why they need to stock up, and quit complaining about "gouging" and shortages!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    r8xiis.jpg

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    New guy here, jsut started last fall when my son got interested in hunting. Got the Ruger 10/22, we went to the range a few times and squirrel hunting once. Didn't expect it would affect 22, but clearly I was wrong. I would like to try and do an appleseed this summer, hopefully things calm down by then. He mainly wants to do xbow for deer season, but I was considering getting a single shot 357 or 44 as well. I know there will be plenty of organized youth rifle hunts so we can learn a thing or two, or ten. I will be doing a better job of stocking up in the future.

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    itl never be over, once its back to normal prices, everyone will still buy them like there made out gold, just incase it happens again. its now going to be a never ending process.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    New guy here, jsut started last fall when my son got interested in hunting. Got the Ruger 10/22, we went to the range a few times and squirrel hunting once. Didn't expect it would affect 22, but clearly I was wrong. I would like to try and do an appleseed this summer, hopefully things calm down by then. He mainly wants to do xbow for deer season, but I was considering getting a single shot 357 or 44 as well. I know there will be plenty of organized youth rifle hunts so we can learn a thing or two, or ten. I will be doing a better job of stocking up in the future.

At least its not impossible to find .44 or .357 right now, though the prices for what is out there are kinda steep. At least a single shot wont chew up the ammo quite as fast. Hopefully things get better soon, it sucks not being able to just run to the store to pick up ammo, but its even worse when you hear of a new shooter that cant practice because of the shortage. Hopefully this ammo depression wont discourage you from sticking to your guns and enjoying all the sport has to offer.:ar15:

navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    itl never be over, once its back to normal prices, everyone will still buy them like there made out gold, just incase it happens again. its now going to be a never ending process.

For a few months I think then it'll be the way it was before again.

ill consider it over when .223 isnt going for 1.00+ a round

I agree with you there though in the middle of this mess I got .223 for .85 a round after some shopping around.

If I had to guess when this will be over, I'd say July as most of the reloading parts are estimated back in stock in May or June and to me its a good indicator but a debatable one.

Top Bottom