• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    We have a 2006 VW TDI Golf - apparently ours isn't new enough to have been involved in this issue. It's a shame all this has happened - it really is a peppy, powerful, and fuel efficient car. I've also never noticed or smelled much in the way of exhaust emissions, unlike my diesel tractor!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So someone is leaving these notes on VW cars in Portland.

Self-righteous busybody tyrant wanna-be.

CQfqFPBWoAAu9ld.jpg:large

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Wow, that's ridiculous. I've studied these people on a documentary about Portland called "Portlandia." They strike me as an odd bunch. I'll bet it's a salesperson from a Subaru dealership.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    AP analysis: VW evasion likely led to dozens of deaths

The sheer stupidity. There are roughly 500k TDI's in the states, so I guess if you collect any diesel locomotive, semi, and other diesel powered trucks and vehicles made before Tier 1&2 and put them on a smog test the black smoke they can and do produce is only the fuel for the black lives matter group. These idiots forget that there are millions of these vehicles running today that would never pass an emissions test if forced to comply with today's standards. They would instead throw out numbers to drive those without a brain such as the idiot who is putting those on cars to start another movement based on lies.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So someone is leaving these notes on VW cars in Portland.

Self-righteous busybody tyrant wanna-be.

CQfqFPBWoAAu9ld.jpg:large

Who ever wrote that note would have died if he saw the first big bus I drove. If you turned a knob to a certain point, you could fill the neighborhood with nothing but black smoke all day long. I miss that bus (even though it was ugly!)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    AP analysis: VW evasion likely led to dozens of deaths

The sheer stupidity. There are roughly 500k TDI's in the states, so I guess if you collect any diesel locomotive, semi, and other diesel powered trucks and vehicles made before Tier 1&2 and put them on a smog test the black smoke they can and do produce is only the fuel for the black lives matter group. These idiots forget that there are millions of these vehicles running today that would never pass an emissions test if forced to comply with today's standards. They would instead throw out numbers to drive those without a brain such as the idiot who is putting those on cars to start another movement based on lies.

My comment on the article was:

If the goal of this article ws to make people think that computer modeling can be manipulated to support a predetermined position, congratulations. You've done marvelously.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    the difference is that those are simply not the same in real world driving vs the emissions test conditions. I feel like that is a duh moment, do you ever get the same numbers as the epa ratings for mpg?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This isn't about a 20-30% difference in MPG. They are talking about 6x as much pollution as they originally estimated. Quite a difference.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ...do you ever get the same numbers as the epa ratings for mpg?

My Ram is dead nuts on the highway mpg estimate. My wife's 200 is doing about 4mpg better than the estimate. Our Taurus was 1mpg less than the estimate. So, yeah. But I am a conservative driver.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My Ram is dead nuts on the highway mpg estimate. My wife's 200 is doing about 4mpg better than the estimate. Our Taurus was 1mpg less than the estimate. So, yeah. But I am a conservative driver.

Then you're likely also polluting less than others, congrats!

I also usually beat the epa ratings unless I just want to hear the v8 roar.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When do engineers (other than maybe civil) meet with lawyers? In all my time as an automotive engineer I've never even heard of this happening.

Sorry to reference a 2 week old post but to answer your question: I know they do once somebody gets hurt or environmental laws have been broken and they're looking to place the blame (I know of at least 3 cases).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think I may have one or two spare ****s to give. I don't think I want to waste them on this issue.

Top Bottom