• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Greenies want their pound of flesh from VW.

KUvKJbX.jpg

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I see the value of late model diesel VWs with this software skyrocketing. Some estimates put the efficiency/power losses around 30% with the current diesel emissions requirements. From what I know, I suspect it was the EGR system that was being disabled. It would be easy to simply not open it ever except when being tested.

For those that don't know, EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) sends exhaust gasses back into the intake of the engine to keep the combustion chamber at a lower temperature. This keeps the NOx emissions lower but also reduces power and makes the inside of the engine filthy ultimately contaminating the engine oil. You know what the end of an exhaust pipe looks like right? Imagine what your engine looks like when it is sucking those gasses directly back in before the diesel particulate filter, catalytic converter, and urea injection system. The video below goes into some depth on modern diesel emissions systems and why they are a bad. It's primarily focused on the DPF system and what happens to the oil but he goes over the EGR system at about 13:47.

[video]https://youtu.be/fNO-oUHmKXU?t=888[/video]

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Well, as the proud owner of a 2015 Passat 2.0 TDI, and previous owner of a 2013 Passat 2.0 TDI, I'm interested to see how this all plays out.

2015 Jetta 2.0 TDI here.

You guys have both made an appointment with your VW dealer to get your cars [STRIKE]neutered[/STRIKE] fixed, haven't you?;)

I see the value of late model diesel VWs with this software skyrocketing. Some estimates put the efficiency/power losses around 30% with the current diesel emissions requirements.

^^^Troof!^^^

Anybody wanna road trip it to Kalifornia and buy up some late model V-dubs on the cheap from disaffected tree huggers? We'll bring 'em back to the midwestern and southern states and make bank.:cool:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You guys have both made an appointment with your VW dealer to get your cars [STRIKE]neutered[/STRIKE] fixed, haven't you?;)

^^^Troof!^^^

Anybody wanna road trip it to Kalifornia and buy up some late model V-dubs on the cheap from disaffected tree huggers? We'll bring 'em back to the midwestern and southern states and make bank.:cool:
    Nope I'm proud of my so called "pollution mobile" and plan on tripping out to cali so I can spread the love while breaking the gun laws by carrying something banned from their list.

The treehuggers don't drive diesels as they believe them to be stinky and dirty when in fact the opposite is true. They prefer their hybrids and electrics which have a bigger carbon footprint when you look at where each component comes from from start to finish, but believe them to be greener.

I went to school for diesel technology at Vincennes University and the things I learned vs what people spout makes me smh.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

I have to wonder if part of their penance will be a dealer recall announcement to "update" all software on "affected" models.........
    or if you go to the dealer for service or an oil change and they do the "update" automatically.

vw-oh-snap-o.gif

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have to wonder if part of their penance will be a dealer recall announcement to "update" all software on "affected" models.........
    or if you go to the dealer for service or an oil change and they do the "update" automatically.

vw-oh-snap-o.gif

If I owned one of the affected models, it would never again see the inside of a VW garage.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Of course it will be. I can see the regulators attempting to fine owners who don't get their cars updated as well.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks like BMW may be pulling the same stunt...

BMW Tests FAIL road Test - Stock plummeting
    From TFA
    In a report earlier this month, ICCT said that on-road testing of 32 European diesel cars from 10 automakers found that the average vehicle was generating NOx emissions at twice the regulatory limit.

Some "manufacturers seem to be focusing on meeting emission limits over the current test cycle while neglecting real-world operating conditions,"ICCT study co-author Vicente Franco said in a statement.
    This could be as simple as the difference between being on a dyno that is supposed to simulate driving and actually being driven. The same reason that actual MPG never match what is on the sticker. For that I wouldn't blame the manufacturers at all.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think it has a lot less to do with right and wrong and more to do with who can fine who for more money. Follow the money.

How do get a corporation to follow the law? Money is the only thing that talks.

The feds are spending buckets of money on this investigation. Would you rather that come from tax dollars or fines?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    How do get a corporation to follow the law? Money is the only thing that talks.

The feds are spending buckets of money on this investigation. Would you rather that come from tax dollars or fines?

I agree with you, and I'm not saying that they shouldn't pay for breaking any laws. The feds spend buckets of money on everything they do, regardless of who's paying the bill.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I used to watch it somewhat regularly, but I've not watched a F1 race all year. I catch the occasional blurb via jalopnik or wherever else. Knowing the Brits, I'm sure they're poking fun at us, they love picking at us.

Top Bottom