• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    What are we on now? Round two or three of the crucifixion of this LEO? I suppose I should be grateful that persons' anger against LEOs is being posted on here and not handled out in the real world, but can we just give it a break? My eyebrows are starting to singe from the heat coming from this thread.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    What are we on now? Round two or three of the crucifixion of this LEO? I suppose I should be grateful that persons' anger against LEOs is being posted on here and not handled out in the real world, but can we just give it a break? My eyebrows are starting to singe from the heat coming from this thread.

Sorry I don't see any just bashing all cops. I see people making observations about one cop who did something wrong.

I also see others trying to justify what the cop did & somehow saying that should be the normally accepted procedure to handle any similar situation. That's the scary thing.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

We are criticizing the specific actions of this one officer during the interval of time shown in the video. That is all. Don't try to skirt the issue by pulling the cop bashing card.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    ive been riding bikes since i was a kid and what he did was excactly what i would have done looks to me like they stopped when they could and he couldnt hear what was being said due to sirens harleys etc and looked around to see what was going on. i seen nothing that even remotely looked like a weapong being drawn or anything close to it. bad shoot period. a young mans life is ruined and an leo either scared or ignorant needs to be held responsible. if you cant safely handle the duties of being an leo theres always barber college. choose wisely

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    True. When in doubt, shoot them. You can't be too careful.

Also, anyone who asserts that they were running from the police is flat out blind. From the time the lights and sirens come on, until McCloskey is at a dead stop is exactly 10 seconds. Don't believe me? Watch the timer on the camera. Ten seconds to the dot. That's pretty good stopping time on a bike going that fast, if you ask me. Not running from the police at all.

Also, the cop didn't tell him to put his hands up. He told him to get down. How fast should he have done that while seated on a motorcycle? The cop told him to get down, and less than 1 second later, puts a bullet in his back. The kid looked behind him. He didn't look like he was pulling a gun at all. Even if he had been, it is plainly obvious that no shot could have been fired from that angle. This cop utilized lethal force when there was clearly NO reason to believe his life was in danger.

I'm glad he was found guilty and like I said before, I sincerely hope he is wife to many lonely prisoners during his prison term. If it was you or me, we'd be doing life. But a cop gets the benefit of the doubt? HA!

If anything, a cop should be held to MUCH higher standards because of their training and the trust we place in them and the power they are allowed. When you're placed in a position of such trust, your consequences should be heavier if you break that trust. Good to see a conviction here. I had my doubts on the justice system on this case.

Goodbye, piggy! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The bolded text above is a great point. The Officer DID say "Get Down!" not "Hands Up!" at first.

In order to "get down", the rider would have HAD to either turn to his right, then swing his right leg over the seat, THEN get down, OR, do the same thing, only to the left. Turning to the right as the biker did, however, would have been the instinctual way to turn, as this is the way most people get on and off a bike, via the left hand side.

What other possible way would the biker have had to get off the bike and "get down" than to turn his body one way or the other?

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    A mistake is a mistake. If someone other than a police officer shot someone in a situation like this, it would be murder. Police need to be accountable, just like everyone else, for their actions.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Still, I think it's fn' BS to plug someone over a traffic violation.

Ohhhhhhh, you were speeding! Your a dead man!

Yes, I know that is simplistic but that's the basis of the interaction.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm not going to read 18 pages of this thread, since I'm sure all the replies are intelligent and well thought out. :rolleyes:

I know nothing about this incident other than what is on the video. It appears as though the officer follows these subjects to the stop sign (already recording for an unknown reason). Both riders take off at a high rate of speed (for cruisers) and the officer activates his overheads. One of the riders doesn't have the skill to negotiate a mild corner, rides left of center, and leaves the roadway while the other subject slows to a stop. The rider that stop partially turns toward the officer, but seems more interested in the other rider coming back into view from the left. The rider has his right hand at his waist about where one typically carries a sidearm. He then gets shot in the back, jerks slightly raising his vest, and falls off the motorcycle to the right.

I watched the video three times. As a police officer myself, I was surprised at the shooting every time. There may be more to what happened than I can see on the video, plus the dash camera is about three feet to the right of where the officer was standing, so their views were different. The officer probably could not see the rider's hand at all.

It's easy to Monday morning quarterback this (and every) video from home, but given only what I see here I would say that the officer is in for a world of hurt.

Son of Liberty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    He should be charged with murder, convicted and then taken out back and shot in the head. Period. The guy didn't reach for anything number one, his back was to the officer, the cop was coming from the bikers 7 o clock, now if the guy is turned to the right, how could he draw and place aim and fire twisted like a pretezel. That cop was an idiot, and if the biker was one of mine, the cop would already be dead.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    He should be charged with murder, convicted and then taken out back and shot in the head. Period. The guy didn't reach for anything number one, his back was to the officer, the cop was coming from the bikers 7 o clock, now if the guy is turned to the right, how could he draw and place aim and fire twisted like a pretzel. That cop was an idiot, and if the biker was one of mine, the cop would already be dead.

You are a true Son of Liberty.

Since people are dipping into my Open Carry postings, maybe it's time I trot out the Three Rules?

Nah, too hot for here. Gun owners get a little squeamish when you start talking about true Liberty.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    He should be charged with murder, convicted and then taken out back and shot in the head. Period. The guy didn't reach for anything number one, his back was to the officer, the cop was coming from the bikers 7 o clock, now if the guy is turned to the right, how could he draw and place aim and fire twisted like a pretezel. That cop was an idiot, and if the biker was one of mine, the cop would already be dead.

Only in your and Smoking357's fantasy world can you convict someone for murder who hasn't killed anyone... The intellectual/reading comprehension deficit in some of these posts is staggering. Maybe all y'all "sons of liberty" should brush up on those things. It might make you look less foolish.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

People get sound up about having to turn around to shoot. There are many documented cases of officers being shot by subjects facing away. All this Rider' had to do was draw and shoot to the rear under his left arm (
    obviously there was no gun, but the argument that the rider would have had to turn to shoot is erroneous).

Oh, and you said "if the biker was one of mine". So, you own some bikers?

Son of Liberty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Only in your and Smoking357's fantasy world can you convict someone for murder who hasn't killed anyone... The intellectual/reading comprehension deficit in some of these posts is staggering. Maybe all y'all "sons of liberty" should brush up on those things. It might make you look less foolish.

Excuse me fargo, from previous threads I read my memory served that the biker was indeed killed. If he wasn't than no the officer should not be charged with murder. He should be charged with attempted manslaugther or attempted murder. I can't remeber are you a cop. With the aggression in your type, I'd believe you were. It dosen't matter, if you are. The point is if it was one of us we would be brought up on assualt with a deadly weapon charges at the very least. And he should get the same, if not more.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Ah, but if it were one of us ordering someone to the side of the road and detaining someone with a handgun, we would already be guilty of criminal confinement and pointing a firearm, at a minimum.

It is likely a non-LEO would not ever find himself in this situation, as he would never have the need (real or perceived) to detain and/or draw down on this individual.

The fact is, there are different standards of behavior that apply to LEO vs. non-LEO in the events leading up to and including the shooting.

As a non-LEO, my reaction would have been to pray these guys didn't crash and cost society more money via government-forced charity.

Different standards of behavior notwithstanding, it seems the LEO grossly overstepped, and I pray he doesn't get a pass.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    People get sound up about having to turn around to shoot. There are many documented cases of officers being shot by subjects facing away. All this Rider' had to do was draw and shoot to the rear under his left arm (
    obviously there was no gun, but the argument that the rider would have had to turn to shoot is erroneous).

Oh, and you said "if the biker was one of mine". So, you own some bikers?

well..i can see your point...alittle i guess...the under the arm shot would be hard to do..but i guess it could be done.....but 1st he would of had to MOVE!!!...which he didn't....he turned his head..unless he could grab the gun with his teeth...there was no obvious threat...my guess is the part time cop shot the man by accident...then went into CRAP mode...i mean why would ya shoot a man..then yell.."put your hands up"...seems backwards.....unless that is i just shot a man by accident..in the back...for not moving....:dunno:

Top Bottom