• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 41mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Carmel
    Well I viewed the video a few times and while I'm not a LEO I do have two family members that currently are and three others retired and have done a few ride along shifts ,and I would have to say if that was justified than we would see about one shooting a day just in Indianapolis alone .My brother has probably talked with me a dozen times about the weapons incompetence he has witnessed over the years with some officers . Looks like a negligent discharge to me.

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I saw the video a couple of times I would hate to be the officer in that position in the middle of the night not knowing what the guy had in his hand or what his intentions where. but on the other hand I wouldnt wanna be shot in the back just for speeding on a motorcycle? tough call!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I did not read all the posts nor will I but here is my thoughts.....

For one the guy and he buddies were out being stupid/jumping on the gas.... Yeah a cop was behined him but I have seen people do that and not look behined them first.

I don't think he was trying to pull, was he rather fast about it? Yeah, was looking back while he was going for whatever a bad idea? Yeah.

I have known a few bike guys that carried and every time they got pulled over they would keep their hands on the grips and not move... when the cop came up they told the officer that they had a gun and would perfer that the cop get their wallet because they don't want the cop to think they are going for their gun... even the guys that did not carry did the same thing to be safe....

The media said he pulled over once the cop hit the lights and sirens but it looks like he took a while to pull over...... everyone knows that runing or apearing that you are runing only makes thing's worse. I got pulled over one and it took me a few seconds to notice the cop with his lights on bhined me but not that long and I was a lot farther away.... and I was in a car...... and doing 75mph plus pulling away from him.

In short though was the cop wrong? From what I can see yes.

Last edited:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I think the Cop got scared and I have personally seen this before. I have dated a couple of Police Officers and I know personally a lot of them are simply scared and they use their gun. Nothing more scaring than a scared cop who can just blow you away. I am sorry but to me the vicitim did not look like he was drawing a weapon. I think the Cop over reacted because he was scared.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The article said the Officer broke protocol and left his siren going. They are told to turn it off as soon as they stop so the citizen can hear the commands issued.

What I think happened is the guy couldn't hear the Officer, turned to look at him, and got shot. One of the articles might have even suggested as much.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I think the really big problem was that this officer profiled these guys a bit. he saw them as evil biker gang people. to me its a bad shoot. the rider made no threating actions or indicatation of threat. Hell he was the one that stopped. the other idiot just crashed. Ive had a jumpy cop draw down on me when i was a kid after colimbine when i was shooting my pellet guns in the same field i had for years. i think he was more scared of me then i was of his shakeing hands. ill never forget that. I think this was just a jumpy leo that needs to do something less stressful. The rider didnt even try to run. as soon as the lights flashed he pulled over. I would like to know why the leos firearm was drawn in the first place. It wasnt a felony stop. just plain bad shoot.

tk6968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I watched the vidio several times. The movment of the riders right hand looks very much like someone trying to draw a handgun, possibly more so from the LEO's view. At the very least there is reasonable doubt in this case and I am surprised that he was charged.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I watched the vidio several times. The movment of the riders right hand looks very much like someone trying to draw a handgun, possibly more so from the LEO's view. At the very least there is reasonable doubt in this case and I am surprised that he was charged.

He rested his hand on his thigh and then didn't move it. :rolleyes:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Are we watching the same vidio? :dunno:

I've seen more movement from an statue.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Both the cop and the rider were in the wrong. Common sense tells you when you're wide open on a bike you don't make any quick movements period, nonetheless ones that look like you're reaching for a firearm. On the other hand, the cop isn't allowed to shoot just on suspicion of drawing a gun, in my opinion he needs to see one. I mean come on the cop can kneal down and almost be under complete cover of his vehicle, while the rider is out in the complete open, who has the advantage. The cop would not have been out of line to draw his weapon, but it was too soon for opening fire into the mans back. Too bad the rider is paralyzed, he could have saved himself from this had he been a little less jumpy, or had he not had Johnny hair trigger pulling him over.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I wasnt there so I have no opinion that matters.
    :+1:

armchair-quarterback.jpg

Tragic events...tragic outcome.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Tragic events...tragic outcome.

True.

One gets to walk into prison and continue dealing with his shot forever but the other can't even walk to the mailbox to send in his deserved traffic fine.

From the camera view, I don't see an attempt to draw. Was too much focus on the hands partly to blame? Dunno.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    I hope this cop gets stretched out every day in prison for this. What a sack of s&#! This 24 year old kid is now paralyzed for life because of this moron.
    "Oh, I thought he was pulling a GUN!!" Give me a f&%#*^g break. He looked back at you and you were pissed off, so you decided to pop one off to teach him a lesson. Please go to prison and never come back. kthxbai

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I feel for the Cop and both peoples families. Its a sad situation, the Cop may have acted too fast, but its a tough job and if the guy would have done what he was supposed to he would be ok.

Dont run from cops, dont do bad things, you will be fine.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Sure the officer MIGHT have shown some more restraint, but you know what, there has been times that LEO's and even our fellow service men over sea's are dead because a "little" extra restraint was shown. Even you yourself must admit that.

True. When in doubt, shoot them. You can't be too careful.

Also, anyone who asserts that they were running from the police is flat out blind. From the time the lights and sirens come on, until McCloskey is at a dead stop is exactly 10 seconds. Don't believe me? Watch the timer on the camera. Ten seconds to the dot. That's pretty good stopping time on a bike going that fast, if you ask me. Not running from the police at all.

Also, the cop didn't tell him to put his hands up. He told him to get down. How fast should he have done that while seated on a motorcycle? The cop told him to get down, and less than 1 second later, puts a bullet in his back. The kid looked behind him. He didn't look like he was pulling a gun at all. Even if he had been, it is plainly obvious that no shot could have been fired from that angle. This cop utilized lethal force when there was clearly NO reason to believe his life was in danger.

I'm glad he was found guilty and like I said before, I sincerely hope he is wife to many lonely prisoners during his prison term. If it was you or me, we'd be doing life. But a cop gets the benefit of the doubt? HA!

If anything, a cop should be held to MUCH higher standards because of their training and the trust we place in them and the power they are allowed. When you're placed in a position of such trust, your consequences should be heavier if you break that trust. Good to see a conviction here. I had my doubts on the justice system on this case.

Goodbye, piggy! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I feel for the Cop and both peoples families. Its a sad situation, the Cop may have acted too fast, but its a tough job and if the guy would have done what he was supposed to he would be ok.

It may be a tough job but if they're not up to it then maybe they should find another line of work before people are dead or paralyzed.

Dont run from cops, dont do bad things, you will be fine.

or, otherwise what, you'll be shot?!?!

Sorry dude. Running from cops isn't an indication of guilt. I'm pretty sure even the SCOTUS has said as much.

Also there isn't a single person who could ever say they haven't done something "bad".

:rolleyes:

I guess this is the logical end result of the "get tough on crime" mindset. What's sad is that so many (who otherwise say they want smaller government) are OK with it & even promote it.

Originally Posted by IndyBeerman
    Sure the officer MIGHT have shown some more restraint, but you know what, there has been times that LEO's and even our fellow service men over sea's are dead because a "little" extra restraint was shown. Even you yourself must admit that.

I missed this post before.

Are you honestly comparing domestic law enforcement & overseas combat troops?:eek:

So how many innocent people should die before the "little extra restraint" is worth it?

I'm sorry if I offend any cops here, but in a choice between one extra innocent person being killed & a cop being killed, I'd pick the cop everytime. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish injury or death on ANY PERSON. I'm not against cops but the cop chose the job. The innocent person was just unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time & has absolutely no control of the situation they have been placed in by the power of the state in the form of the LEO. Just because the cop "thinks" that you were a threat doesn't justify it. In a confrontation between a cop & another person the cop is the aggressor & should be held to that standard until they are ABSOLUTELY SURE that they are dealing with a threat to themselves or others.

Even you yourself must admit that.

Top Bottom