• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    Very well said sir.Thank you for sending that.Im not going to make any contact with the VPD until i have consulted a GOOD lawyer.I think it would be a good idea for me not to for legal reasons just in case this goes somewhere.

Plus i have to live and drive around here everyday.I dont want any officers with a chip on their shoulder keeping an eye out for me.

Lets get some lunch or something. I'm always hungry. I'll PM you my #. Nice to meet someone else that lives in Valpo as well.

Dashman010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Downtown, Indy
    The cop was 100% correct. The LTCH does not have anything to do with any right. It is a state permitted privilege. If they finally get away from those little pink papers and go to something like Vermont style carry then it will be a right. As it stands it isn't.

I'm going to have to disagree. The Indiana Supreme Court has determined that you have a 14th Amendment protected property right in receiving a LTCH so long as you meet the statutory requirements. Just because something is qualified, doesn't mean it's not a right.

Second, while not decided, it is very likely that the 2nd Amendment protects open carry, even if you have to have a LTCH to exercise that right. Because it's likely a right, the qualifications couldn't be absurd -- for instance, they couldn't say you must be 6' tall to be able to carry a firearm.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Until we get a case analogous to Prouse, we will have this kind of police harrassment.

Until then, we need to document our encounters and make complaints.

Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648 (1979) (without individualized suspicion of an unlicensed or suspended driver, police may not stop a vehicle to check driver's license status).

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm going to have to disagree. The Indiana Supreme Court has determined that you have a 14th Amendment protected property right in receiving a LTCH so long as you meet the statutory requirements. Just because something is qualified, doesn't mean it's not a right.

Second, while not decided, it is very likely that the 2nd Amendment protects open carry, even if you have to have a LTCH to exercise that right. Because it's likely a right, the qualifications couldn't be absurd -- for instance, they couldn't say you must be 6' tall to be able to carry a firearm.
    It's not a right if you have to have government permission to exercise it. Where's my LTT (License to Talk)? My License against illegal search and seizure? Nope. It's a privilege, as long as little pink, state required papers are required.

Dashman010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Downtown, Indy
    It's not a right if you have to have government permission to exercise it. Where's my LTT (License to Talk)? My License against illegal search and seizure? Nope. It's a privilege, as long as little pink, state required papers are required.

Well, you're making what I refer to as "your" distinction of a privilege and a right, not a legal one. If you want to organize a protest in many places, you have to get a permit. Does that mean you don't have the right to free speech or assembly? Of course not, and the people issuing the permit cannot deny it for arbitrary reasons -- because IT IS a right. You have to undergo a background check before buying a firearm from a dealer. Does that mean you don't have a right to own a gun? No. It just means the right can be qualified or regulatd in a manner that does not seriously infringe that right.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN

It is a right which has been stolen by the government and turned into a privilege. And, just wait, you probably will have to get a license to talk. And when that happens, there will be some obedient slave saying that talking is a privilege too.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    If I want to talk on the airwaves (radio and television) there is a license involved--maybe not mine, but somebody is actually licensed to provide that service*. If I want to "peaceably assemble" on public streets, there is a license involved (not to "assemble" but to use that venue to do so).

(* There are certain limited radio bands and situations where no license is required, or where the "license" is subsumed in buying the equipment and, as such, is generally "invisible" to the end user. Nevertheless, there are plenty of avenues for "talk" that require licenses.)

So we've got two situations:

Either, a "right" is only a right if no one, anywhere can ever have it circumscribed. In which case there are no rights, there never have been, and quite probably never will be, since there will always be someone, somewhere, with the power to say "no" in at least some circumstances for any "right" one cares to name. (Right to life? Take the archetypical "him or me" situation. One of us is going to tell the other "no" and take away his "right to life.")

Rights can exist even in a situation where some people, in some circumstances, can say "no" to it. If this is the latter, then the question really becomes at what point does the ability of someone to say "no" mean that it stops being a right? The mere fact that someone, somewhere, has that ability is no longer sufficient to say that something is not a right.

Going back to the Constitution, the government is given the power to deprive an individual of "life, liberty, or property" so long as it is via "due process of law." Only a few very diehard individuals would claim that this provision means that life (at the least) is a "right" under the Constitution. And yet the government has the power to take it away given sufficient circumstances.

When it comes to the LTCH, you might consider what that piece of paper says. Basically, it's the result of a background check to determine that you are not someone who has lost the exercise of that right via due process. One could argue that either the prior requirement (have to get that document before carrying rather than having the position presumed and having the government prove otherwise) or the need to pay for that document or the combination of both moves it across the line from "right" to "privilege" but that line is neither as sharp nor as clearly placed as some would claim.

Quibbling over exactly where that line is placed is not particularly helpful.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Megiddo-thanks for stopping in and explaining the situation to us. I am in, if you want to have an OC walk/picnic in Valpo. My wife has just said she'll OC with us and we'll bring the kids as well.
    When do we do it?

megiddo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Megiddo-thanks for stopping in and explaining the situation to us. I am in, if you want to have an OC walk/picnic in Valpo. My wife has just said she'll OC with us and we'll bring the kids as well.
    When do we do it?

I emailed the man who put together the counter protest,i think its the same guy that does the liberty lunch thing.Waiting to get a reply.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    On the Valpo OC-Protest: I would wait until later this month to see if our friends in Indianapolis have any recommendations for us, after they proceed with their oc-march.

Also, lets organize it in another thread.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Michael Brickner - mbrickner@valpopd.com

Chief Brickner,

A video from the 2 SEP 09 protest has come to my attention concerning the carry of firearms in Valparaiso. I have recently moved here in the past six months and do not wish to have any misunderstandings during my stay.

YouTube - OBAMACARE RALLY AND COUNTER PROTEST/DETAINED BY POLICE FOR LEGAL OPEN CARRY!-PART2

If you would, please view this video and answer a few questions for me.

Is it reasonable to be stopped by an officer for merely possessing a weapon? Not only was this man told that he "just wanted to see his permit", he was led by the hand (as seen in the video), and his firearm was seized. He was also told open carrying is not "safe". Is this Valparaiso PD SOP?

The female officer mentioned that a permit was needed to carry a rifle. This is misinformation, and should I choose to sling and carry any type of long gun, I do not wish to be a victim of an unreasonable accusation based on the mis-education of someone trusted to uphold the law.

Please do not think I am being sarcastic, but I am truthfully appalled at the way this situation was handled. Please inform your officers that open carry of a handgun is legal (with LTCH), and is not grounds for a Terry stop, and that carry of a long gun is legal without permit, and also not grounds for interrogation. The ISP has posted a bulletin on their website explaining the legality of open carry.

Chief Brickner, I have put many years of my life in the self defense of this great country through Military service, been deployed to foreign theaters, and still sometimes feel uncomfortable exercising my rights back on my own home soil, due to the "Bill of Privileges" mindset some hold.

Thank you for your time,
    xxxxx

Awesome letter. I'll be writing one of my own asap.

We all need to.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Please inform your officers that open carry of a handgun is legal (with LTCH), and is not grounds for a Terry stop...

I just want to know. Has _any_ court specifically ruled this in Indiana, based on the Indiana law concerning the carrying of _handguns_? If so, I just want to read the court opinion on the matter.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I just want to know. Has _any_ court specifically ruled this in Indiana, based on the Indiana law concerning the carrying of _handguns_? If so, I just want to read the court opinion on the matter.
    Are you asking if a Court has ruled it legal?
    Have the courts ruled if it legal to carry a tuba?
    There has to be a law in place against something before it can be deemed illegal.
    Laws make things illegal, not legal.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Are you asking if a Court has ruled it legal?
    Have the courts ruled if it legal to carry a tuba?
    There has to be a law in place against something before it can be deemed illegal.
    Laws make things illegal, not legal.

Laws make things both illegal and legal. The law makes it illegal to have a BAC of .08, which means it is legal to driver a vehicle and have a BAC of under .08.

My main issue is this, Indiana law states:
    IC 35-47-2-1 Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

The law also goes on to state:
    IC 35-47-2-2 Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

The issue I have is this:
    A person calls about a "person with a gun." They don't remain anonymous, they give a great description. An LEO sees a person matching the description, sees the gun in plain sight. Does the LEO have a right to detain the person to investigate a violation of IC 35-47-2-1? The issue is that an LEO can't tell by looking at someone if the person with gun has "a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession." Nor can an LEO tell just by looking at someone if the person fits one of those "excepted persons" categories either. So, does an LEO have a right to investigate for a possible violation of IC 35-47-2-1 if they see a person with a gun? Yes, any LEO can go up to any person in public and start a conversation, what I am getting at is that does the mere possession of a handgun in plain view lead to enough reasonable suspicion to stop and detain a person?

I really wish a court would answer this as it responds to Indiana law. I know that officers can't just stop a person driving a car to check to see if they are licensed. I am not sure why this is, as it is against the law to drive without a license and a license isn't something a person is born with and officers can't just tell by looking at someone if they have a license. My assumption here is that decades ago, some court ruled somewhere that, for whatever reason, the mere fact a person is driving upon a public roadway isn't enough to detain that person to see if they are licensed, that the person needs to commit some crime or infraction before they can be legally stopped. If one uses the license example, then LEOs can't stop anyone just carrying a gun, even though the person may be doing so in violation of the law.

That leads me to this: Why should LEOs get more leeway to stop people if they are doing other acts? Say they get a call from a passerby who says a man is taking a baseball bat to a vehicle, busting out all the windows. On the face of that, we may have criminal mischief:

IC 35-43-1-2 Criminal mischief; penalties
    Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
    (1) recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally damages or defaces property of another person without the other person's consent; or
    (2) knowingly or intentionally causes another to suffer pecuniary loss by deception or by an expression of intention to injure another person or to damage the property or to impair the rights of another person;
    commits criminal mischief, a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is:
    (A) a Class A misdemeanor if:
    (i) the pecuniary loss is at least two hundred fifty dollars ($250) but less than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500);
    (ii) the property damaged was a moving motor vehicle;

But look at the language of the law: The vehicle would have to be the property of "another person" _and_ the vehicle owner would have had to not given consent for the man to destroy his vehicle. In cases like this, usually the person doing the damage is doing so because they don't like the vehicle owner. However, how can an officer be justified in stopping someone without:
    #1: Not knowing if the man destroying the car is or isn't the owner?
    #2: Not knowing if the owner of the vehicle has or hasn't given consent to destroy the car?

Unless the vehicle owner calls the police, and states that the man causing the damage isn't the owner _and_ that they never gave consent, how the cops be justified in stopping someone just hitting a car with a baseball bat?

These are the issues I wish courts would resolve now instead of later, but I guess it takes a court case before they will rule anything. To me, if an officer can't stop someone for merely walking around displaying a handgun, how they can stop someone for merely knocking out windows of a vehicle if that is _all_ the information they have at that time? How can they stop someone who they see crawling out or your home's window if that is all they have? The cops don't know if the person crawling out the window lives or owns that home? Should they just let these people continue on their business and wait for the victims to finally report that in fact a crime has occurred? If numerous people call in a man with a gun and the cops don't/can't do anything, the cops are not liable if the man then pulls the gun and starts shooting people...right? No "failure to protect" lawsuits can arise from that...right?

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    Indy -

An officer approaches a man, asks to see his LTCH, confirms the information on the LTCH, is acceptable, and within the scope of the law, although a tedious process for both parties.

An officer approaches a man, guides him (through physical or verbal instruction) into custody (aka detainment), treats the man as if he has committed a crime, seizes any item from him as a result of a pat down/weapon un-holstering, and then confirms the information on his LTCH, is unacceptable.

Is it acceptable reason to believe that any given person OC'ing in Indiana does not have a LTCH? Yes, how it stands now. This is what needs to change.

Top Bottom