• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Does the stock fold to the left on the next batch?

No, the weld is meant to keep the stock permanently in the "open" position.

It would fold to the left if not welded open, though....

i-10.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    That is not mine, btw... Mine is still sitting "stock" with the US tapco how it came in from Atlantic.... but I do wish I had that one.... He even has the 10 round Molot magazine... *drool*

That side rail needs a light, though ;)

Darn you Indiana SBS laws, DARN YOU!

It would be nice if a US manufacturer made a mock up stock... but I doubt the market will be big enough to make it worth it...

Last edited:

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I took mine to the range a bit ago, and ran 40 Winchester low recoil buckshot rounds through it. It failed to eject every round except maybe 4 rounds. I didn't have any other ammo to try with me. MAA still hasn't gotten back with me after they offered to ship it to Mach1 Arsenal. I'll contact them again and see what they say.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I took mine to the range a bit ago, and ran 40 Winchester low recoil buckshot rounds through it. It failed to eject every round except maybe 4 rounds. I didn't have any other ammo to try with me. MAA still hasn't gotten back with me after they offered to ship it to Mach1 Arsenal. I'll contact them again and see what they say.

had you put any other ammo through it before this?

I ran 75 rounds of ammo that had a bit more power to it before I ran the really cheap stuff.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    had you put any other ammo through it before this?

I ran 75 rounds of ammo that had a bit more power to it before I ran the really cheap stuff.

No, this was the first I've shot it. The Winchester low recoil buck shot was the only rounds I on hand at home. Maybe I should try some full power rounds to get the gun broke in a little. There is some paint rubbing off of the bolt carrier, maybe just a little too much friction in some area. MAA contacted TGI for me, and they've already emailed me today to start the warranty process. I'll keep you guys updated.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    After finally getting mine to the range, I put 250 shells through it without any function issues.

2 3/4" rifled slugs, 3" rifled slugs, 2 3/4" 00 buckshot, 3" 00 buckshot, cheap 2 3/4" 7.5 Target shot.... mixed brands...

Not a single failure, stovepipe, or cycle issue. For those of you like myself that have undertaken Saiga 12 builds in the past, you know why I am happy.

I gotta say, it is a BEAST!

I have shot quite a few scatterguns, and this one is now my favorite. To be honest, I like it more than my Benelli M4....

If it continues to function how it did after the next few hundred rounds, I might even call it reliable enough for HD....

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'm concerned they may be overgassed, but i haven't tested the theory. Originally the majority of saigas wouldn't cycle low brass ammo. To combat that problem people had extra ports drilled or enlarged (later came the super pucks, lighter springs etc). A gun that wouldn't shoot low brass tended to have 3 or less ports and either undersized or slightly offset behind the gas block. Overgassed guns tended to have 3-4 large ports which was great for low brass and low velocity buck, but slugs and 3"magnums would punish the gun. The Vepr 12 has 5 ports and it would stand to reason (and coincides with my theory) that so many people complained that the saigas couldn't run birdshot so they ensured that the Veprs could.

The range i frequent has been closed on the 4 days i've had off for the last two months and with recent events i don't see myself being less busy this month for testing. I caution those of you to check your rear trunion and make sure you aren't beating it silly. Some contact with the rear is normal, but if you're beating divots in the trunion you need to switch ammo, switch pucks, or get a stronger spring.

An overgassed saiga can be painful to shoot but the problem is solved by dialing back the gas, replacing the puck, or using stronger springs. If there are issues with mine i plan on ordering another puck from CSS and either sanding down the face a few mm's to require more gas in the chamber to push it, or cutting a grove or 2 in the sides to allow gas to pass through. In effect i'll have a low and high brass puck. Unfortunately they don't have the bevy of pucks for gassing up or down the Vepr 12 as the gun is too new.

Be advised that i may be talking out of my ass and these may be completely self regulating, but like like Reagan, I don't trust the Russians.

Top Bottom