• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    meh its a 12 gauge shotgun. Its pretty soft for a 12 gauge really.

Maybe soft for a pump. Or an O/U. This is not soft for a semi. The VEPR kicked far more than the other 2 today, and those are in the price range.

Heck, my saiga 12 (formerly) kicked softer.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I could be wrong, but from what little Ive studied this thing, I think it only uses what gas it needs to cycle, and then bleeds off the excess.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Maybe soft for a pump. Or an O/U. This is not soft for a semi. The VEPR kicked far more than the other 2 today, and those are in the price range.

Heck, my saiga 12 (formerly) kicked softer.

I didn't think it was bad at all, but maybe my shoulder is immune to it, or numb after shooting a 1903 before that. ;)

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Off topic, but if you want something that kicks like a dang mule and will bruise you up good, I've got a Winchester Model 12 16ga you're more than welcome to shoot. lol

No, I am not kidding.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I could be wrong, but from what little Ive studied this thing, I think it only uses what gas it needs to cycle, and then bleeds off the excess.

Yes, the gas system is notably different than that of a Saiga.

In the Saiga world, it is comparable to an auto plug.

In theory, all excess gas is released.

While birdshot seemed to have a more significant buck than my saiga, honestly - the high brass rounds seemed less painful.

Who else thinks this thing kicks like a mule?

Today I shot
    VEPR 12
    SLP 18"
    m4

VEPR was by far the hardest hitting.

The VEPR really should have more felt recoil than an m4 or an SLP though - considering the length of the buffer tube that extends into the stock on those firearms. The trade off is that the VEPR can still function with a folding stock, or whatever LOP one wishes.

While it had quite a bit of buck - it was not significant enough to alter the rate of accurate fire when compared to the m4. The SLP I do not own, so I cannot comment on.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    though it sounds good, only because I have an MD-20..... Im not really keen on taking the shotgun apart to use the MD-20. Because I doubt I will be able to use the other mags once I pull the magwell off.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Agreed. I'm sure there'll be a way to weld a longer feed tower and add 2 or 3 dummy rounds to make it work with the magwell. If i had a mill and one of the new SGM mags, that'd be what i'd do. I'd Mill down the mdarms tower to 50% cut the SGM down to about 3 rounds then mill out the inside to about 50%. Then chemically weld the two together. Then take off the back cover and add some extra dummy rounds to push the last shell up the feed tower. You'd essentially have a drum with a longer neck. The LRBHO thing wouldn't work but whatever.

Regarding Pauly's retrofit, I don't understand his idea. Only 1000 people own a vepr 12, of those very few own an md arms drum, of those very few would be willing to remove parts and pay $70 more to use it. I appreciate that Pauly is willing to bring stuff to the market, i just don't see it making any fiscal sense.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    There has to be more than that; I mean, one retailer claims to have sold through 1000 of them, and several other retailers had them at the same time. Heck, MAA and Atlantic still show them as in-stock...

Which retailer has made that claim?

Wolf Arms imported them (well TGI, but same thing), and they claim they only brought 1,000 into the country so far.

It is easy to overlook that moving 1,000 niche shotguns priced at $999 + shipping is not something that happens overnight.... we are talking a million dollars in shotgun sales, when most people are perfectly happy with maverick 88's.

I would not, however, be surprised to see more come in - in the near future.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    well. i was order 99x from atlantic firearms.. and im sure more than 10 people bought 2 of em....

Yes, but as pointed out earlier - your order number is not necessarily correlative with the amount of VEPR 12's sold.

If they are like most businesses, the order number is based on firearm orders in a given time frame.... month, two week period, etc.

Just because your order number was 99x, does not mean that they had sold 900+ of that particular firearm. Their developers would have to go out of their way to create a system where the numbering acted like that - and imagine the headaches caused when more than one gun sells a few hundred in a time period.... multiple orders with the same order number???

I, too, was a bit confused about that at first - but if you actually think about it, it makes no sense.

If you paid attention to the distributors that listed a number in stock, they moved pretty slow.

Last edited:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    ahh. well then.. damn. magicman was 1 order after me i think.. dunno..oh well.

besides that.. anyone change out that awful grip yet? i did. hogue grip fits AWESOME and feels better.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I remember when people with saigas were paying $100.00 + dollars and risking customs just for the chance to have that grip. This is why MD arms made their copy.

Regardless of whether there were 1000, or 10,000 vepr owners, i personally believe that you'll lose money in the long run in patents and machining costs to make a few drum adapters. I do believe more Vepr 12's will come in, i just don't think making anything Vepr 12 specific for anything less than 100,000 guns will be profitable.

seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I got around to changing out the grip, adding an AFG, and a muzzle break. Thought I would share a couple photos. I am loving this gun. Nearly flawless running to date with only a couple FTE early on. No bugs as of late. This thing is 100% bad ass.:rockwoot:

VEPR12-2.jpg

VEPR12-1.jpg

Top Bottom