• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lots of times I've stood in the fish bowl of a secure factory waiting for somebody to get to the front desk and let me in. After a while I would call my contact inside and be directed to the "block of wood" door. I think it's something that will always be with us unless like jamil says you issue fobs or cards. Even then you would need a procedure to control those.

Absolute control would need a security center that would monitor all the doors, like a prison. Maybe that's where we are headed with schools.
    Like I said, if political zealots won’t accept any other cause than guns then that’s where we are. We can’t solve this problem. So harden the schools. Metal detectors, magnetic door locks. Security ID badges that open the doors. Cameras. Maybe even a security station that monitors everything.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like I said, if political zealots won’t accept any other cause than guns then that’s where we are. We can’t solve this problem. So harden the schools. Metal detectors, magnetic door locks. Security ID badges that open the doors. Cameras. Maybe even a security station that monitors everything.

That's the best argument that the problem lies in a different direction than leadership is looking. Guns with high cap magazines have been around for a long time, M1 carbines before the AR-15. Schools at least in my day were much more open and less regulated places.

They should look for causes where things have changed, but I think they are uncomfortable with what they might find.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We'll have to do both.

"Mental health" solutions don't fix mental health problems. They simply try to treat them.

Unless we're willing to re-open state asylums and take away rights for exhibiting these types of erratic behaviors, then there will be no "mental health" solution
    Part of the mental health solutions would be researching causes. For example, this kid was obviously a narcissist. Seemed to think the world owed him graduation. Narcissists are created by their environment. They don’t just occur randomly.

What can we do to reduce narcissism? Well that’s something that roughly half the people don’t want to solve. It’s guns. Ban “assault weapons” and the problem magically disappears. Nah.

ETA: About asylums, yeah. Not like they were though. A good friend used to work at a state mental hospital. Those inmates were treated like ****. But in their absence the homeless problem got a lot worse. I think they need replaced with something else but I really don't know what. And I wouldn't say absolute control is a solution either. I mean. It is. If you have absolute authoritarian control over everyone, then yeah, you're not gonna have these shootings. But then you don't live in a free society either. If we locked everyone up in straight jackets undoubtedly violent crime would plummet. No one wants to live in that society.

The shooter looked to me like he had some mental issues. Those kinds of mental issues have a cause. They didn't have to be caused.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's the best argument that the problem lies in a different direction than leadership is looking. Guns with high cap magazines have been around for a long time, M1 carbines before the AR-15. Schools at least in my day were much more open and less regulated places.

They should look for causes where things have changed, but I think they are uncomfortable with what they might find.
    The more “progressive” society gets, the worse it gets in some ways. It’s probably not a good thing to override the family structure.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think a society that has regular school shootings is indicative of social decay. I think we need to hammer progressive gun zealots about how few of these terrorist-style mass shootings we had and how, the more progressive we've gotten, the bigger the problem has gotten.

We have the right to keep and bear arms, and with that right comes a responsibility to use them safely. A huge sector of society has no such sense of responsibility. In fact it's gotten to the point where responsibility itself is under attack. Responsibility is racist according to progressive zealots.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Biden is basically suggesting those of us who purchase and own an "Assault Rifle" are the irrational ones. He says there is no rational basis for purchasing them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

It’s always been easier to manage things than people. I’ve seen it in many instance at work as well as in politics.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Part of the mental health solutions would be researching causes. For example, this kid was obviously a narcissist. Seemed to think the world owed him graduation. Narcissists are created by their environment. They don’t just occur randomly.

What can we do to reduce narcissism? Well that’s something that roughly half the people don’t want to solve. It’s guns. Ban “assault weapons” and the problem magically disappears. Nah.

ETA: About asylums, yeah. Not like they were though. A good friend used to work at a state mental hospital. Those inmates were treated like ****. But in their absence the homeless problem got a lot worse. I think they need replaced with something else but I really don't know what. And I wouldn't say absolute control is a solution either. I mean. It is. If you have absolute authoritarian control over everyone, then yeah, you're not gonna have these shootings. But then you don't live in a free society either. If we locked everyone up in straight jackets undoubtedly violent crime would plummet. No one wants to live in that society.

The shooter looked to me like he had some mental issues. Those kinds of mental issues have a cause. They didn't have to be caused.
    Anyone demanding .gov or anyone else pay for their lives is narcissistic. Where do you draw the line?

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Anyone demanding .gov or anyone else pay for their lives is narcissistic. Where do you draw the line?
    What, between putting them in an asylum and not putting them in an asylum? Or do you mean a line between acceptable and not acceptable.

They have a free speech right to demand what they want all day long. They don’t have a right to get what they want. And they don’t have a right to take it out on innocent people when they don’t get it. So as with most things, I draw the line at harm.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Biden is basically suggesting those of us who purchase and own an "Assault Rifle" are the irrational ones. He says there is no rational basis for purchasing them.

Ask him why he is giving them to Ukrainians then.

Maybe he's suggesting they should be free? :dunno:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What, between putting them in an asylum and not putting them in an asylum? Or do you mean a line between acceptable and not acceptable.

They have a free speech right to demand what they want all day long. They don’t have a right to get what they want. And they don’t have a right to take it out on innocent people when they don’t get it. So as with most things, I draw the line at harm.
    What behavior did this guy demonstrate that should have been grounds for his removal from society?

Obviously prior to his shooting rampage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Oh they know but the money behind the asshats in the seats wants us disarmed at any price. And these kids are the currency. Please prove me wrong. Please.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What behavior did this guy demonstrate that should have been grounds for his removal from society?

Obviously prior to his shooting rampage.
    What are you saying? We’ve talked about bringing back asylums. We’ve talked about narcissism. You asked where I draw the line. I’m still trying to understand what you’re suggesting.

Do you think he should have been institutionalized?

Top Bottom