• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lots of times I've stood in the fish bowl of a secure factory waiting for somebody to get to the front desk and let me in. After a while I would call my contact inside and be directed to the "block of wood" door. I think it's something that will always be with us unless like jamil says you issue fobs or cards. Even then you would need a procedure to control those.

Absolute control would need a security center that would monitor all the doors, like a prison. Maybe that's where we are headed with schools.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    HMS Titanic keeps comiing to mind. Not a single event or action, but a series. And the hole in the hull of the Titanic was the same square footage as... a door.
    And, just like Uvalde, hindsight with the Tiranic is great. Engineers have shown that if the crew of the Titanic had attached the ship to the iceberg it struck, then the ship would not have sunk and all of the lives would have been saved. Hindsight really is 20/20

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lots of times I've stood in the fish bowl of a secure factory waiting for somebody to get to the front desk and let me in. After a while I would call my contact inside and be directed to the "block of wood" door. I think it's something that will always be with us unless like jamil says you issue fobs or cards. Even then you would need a procedure to control those.

Absolute control would need a security center that would monitor all the doors, like a prison. Maybe that's where we are headed with schools.
    I was saying the same thing that not only should the doors be secured with keycard entry locks but they should also be monitored for security compliance. If school personnel are becoming lax in security procedures then those kind of measures need to be implemented.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I was saying the same thing that not only should the doors be secured with keycard entry locks but they should also be monitored for security compliance. If school personnel are becoming lax in security procedures then those kind of measures need to be implemented.
    Breaches in security are a part of being human. I bet even with fobs the wood block door stop would still be there...

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The school personnel should be made aware that those entrances WILL be monitored at all times for strict security compliance.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Perhaps so. That's why at least those entrances prone to security breaches should be monitored as well.
    They block the door for smoke break because it locks behind them. We install an external key so they can get back in. They block the door because digging thru their keys every time they go thru the door takes too much time. We install badge readers and electronic locks. They block the door because they forgot their badge. We install facial recognition. They block the door because cameras infringe on their privacy.

They block the doors because we didn't fire the first son if a bitch that blocked the door.

Real life situation.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    They block the door for smoke break because it locks behind them. We install an external key so they can get back in. They block the door because digging thru their keys every time they go thru the door takes too much time. We install badge readers and electro IC locks. They blocked the door because they forgot their badge. Wei stall facial recognition. They block the door because cameras infringe on their privacy.

They block the doors because we didn't fire the first son if a bitch that blocked the door.

Real life situation.
    Real life situations should have real life consequences for those that selfishly insist on posing a security breach risk. The children deserve strict adherence to security protocol. Not following protocol is what contributed to the death of those poor innocents.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If we’re not gonna address the mental health issues and causes we’ll have to harden schools. I’m good with federal and state grants to do that. Even in podunk school districts.

Issue faculty and staff security badges. Secure various entrances with magnetic locks.
    To harden is the liberal way to cover up the huge mental health problems we now have compaired to when I was young.
    One would believe that all the roofs of State Mental Hospitals have now imploded into the inside of those buildings, maybe a few administrations made huge mistakes.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Schools should run tests on their security system with "entry seekers." All you need is someone unknown to the school staff trying to get into the building. If they get in, you have found a weakness that needs to be addressed.
    Randon security audits should be conducted just like random drug testing is.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Schools should run tests on their security system with "entry seekers." All you need is someone unknown to the school staff trying to get into the building. If they get in, you have found a weakness that needs to be addressed.

Back before "we" defunded the police, (and tuned them into the bad guys)... :rolleyes:

Building an effective program to have police and fire personnel monitor school's security would be a very simple task.

Financial incentives to find and report problems along with strong penalties would solve this problem immediately.

Also, letting it be known that we will be checking the checkers. Incentives and penalties applied appropriately.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I'm proud to be a part of a school district that deploys TRAINED, armed SROs in both student buildings, each with their own marked cruiser parked outside their building.
    I'm proud to be a part of a school district that works with other area districts to rotate hosting active shooter drills in conjunction with local, county and state LE agencies as well as First Responder/EMS assets to develop familiarity with building layouts and have contingency plans in place to counter threats.
    I'm proud that our stakeholders alert someone, anyone in the chain of command when they see or hear activity that could represent a threat and that individual in the chain immediately passes that information to the proper authority or agency to deescalate a potential situation. So far....
    I'm proud of the fact that our school administrators and school board have invested $7 figures to harden our buildings and funnel all visitors to a single point of entry to be buzzed into a building.

It sure seems like the safety officials and school officials in Uvalde failed to take the most rudimentary steps to keep their school safe, which is a sure plan for failure.

Then there's the "family" dynamic the POS shooter was spawned from AND I have yet to hear whether or not he was on a steady diet of prescription meds to help control behavior issues.

But it's all the gun's fault.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Strict adherence to security protocols should be rigorously enforced by school administrators. That is their job. Anything less is not only a failure of individual school personnel but also an even bigger failure of the administration. That should take top priority. There are no excuses. Lives are at stake.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    HMS Titanic keeps comiing to mind. Not a single event or action, but a series. And the hole in the hull of the Titanic was the same square footage as... a door.
    That’s true. Also you can generally identify the “thing” that doomed the Titanic. Overconfidence that the ship was unsinkable.

I think with these mass shootings, maybe it’s an issue of mindset too. I don’t think it’s possible to get at root causes because one group is ideologically position to see only one cause and one solution, guns and banning them.

That’s why we can’t take a serious look at why these shooters can get to a state of mind that they want to shoot people. That doesn’t solve the problem they want salved. So, my bandaid is to harden schools. If we can’t find root causes because of political zealotry, at least put a bandaid on the problem. Make it ***damn hard for these nut cases to get in and do this.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If we’re not gonna address the mental health issues and causes we’ll have to harden schools. I’m good with federal and state grants to do that. Even in podunk school districts.

Issue faculty and staff security badges. Secure various entrances with magnetic locks.
    We'll have to do both.

"Mental health" solutions don't fix mental health problems. They simply try to treat them.

Unless we're willing to re-open state asylums and take away rights for exhibiting these types of erratic behaviors, then there will be no "mental health" solution

Top Bottom