• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Locked doors or unlocked, police or lack of good police. Bad people are not going to stop doing bad things. Cut the red tape and gun free zones so people even teachers can carry. Everything else is failure. Even if you put a cop at every school a bad guy walks up and kills him first. Where is your hope. Hiding and turning lights out still not working. “Shall not be infringed” the forefathers were pretty smart, our liberal friends not so much.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Typically door locks are easy to defeat. Even the commercial versions that I have dealt with. I can get into most in a couple seconds with a pair of slip joint pliers.

Kid had an AR and the will to use it. One round placed correctly above the key hole would probably do it. Add to that the fact that he had multiple mags of ammo.

Now don't get me wrong, propping the door is a problem that needs addressed. It would probably buy the kids and staff a couple seconds. Now if they had panic hardware attached on the other side that could cause more delay. Just depends on if the door was an emergency exit or not.

Well, a locked interior door kept 19 well-armed cops out of a room for an hour.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Locked doors or unlocked, police or lack of good police. Bad people are not going to stop doing bad things. Cut the red tape and gun free zones so people even teachers can carry. Everything else is failure. Even if you put a cop at every school a bad guy walks up and kills him first. Where is your hope. Hiding and turning lights out still not working. “Shall not be infringed” the forefathers were pretty smart, our liberal friends not so much.
    Most people I think still wouldn't carry. Just because they can, that doesn't mean they will.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have heard of it happening locally for years. Multiple school systems.

More people are seeing the light about the security lapse it causes tho.

My wife has kicked a few rocks out into the parking lot because they were used as door props.

I always said that if it was allowed to happen then why lock any of the doors. I know some of the kids would do it as well, but mostly staff.
    Why? Smoke breaks? Air conditioning making it too cold for them? I don’t get why that’s a thing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You are seeing that right

McGraw identified the incident commander as Pete Arredondo, chief of police of the Uvalde Consolidated School District.”

Why does a school district, especially in a podunk town 70 miles from anywhere, have its own police force? :dunno:

I don’t mind municipal police assigning an officer to schools for security. But unless someone at the school commits a crime at the school, they have no other business there. And I mean a real ass crime, not failing to use someone’s preferred pronouns.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Why? Smoke breaks? Air conditioning making it too cold for them? I don’t get why that’s a thing.
    If your serious its because when they shut the door behind them it locks them out....that means they have to walk around to the front of the school and be let in, again and again and again......run to the car becasue they forgot something....have to make multiple trips back in fourth from the car, just need a break from being inside, smoke breaks......again and again walking around to the front of the school is not convenient.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If your serious its because when they shut the door behind them it locks them out....that means they have to walk around to the front of the school and be let in, again and again and again......
    I guess I was not aware that teachers make that many trips again and again to care. Anyway, it seems like something a magnetic door lock and ID badge could solve. Swipe to get in. Get caught leaving the door propped open, lose your job.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I'm sure they have their reasons. Mostly I would presume it is for convenience. The schools around here are smoke free campuses now so getting caught would not bode well for the teacher.

Maybe they left stuff in their car, maybe they needed to step outside to scream and compose themselves. At least one school system here has gone to fobs to make access easier on the teachers and staff. Not sure how many doors were being propped this year.

I'm sure that there will be no stones or wedges used for some time after all this tho.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, a locked interior door kept 19 well-armed cops out of a room for an hour.
    You can’t really claim it’s the door that kept them out.

It probably had more to do with a psychopath with a rifle on the other side. That can REALLY reduce someone’s motivation.

Edit: the classroom door could have easily have been a cheap mobile home hollow core luan door if they were afraid enough of the gunman on the other side. :dunno: "I'M not opening that door and taking a bullet. YOU lead the stack and open the door."

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Why does a school district, especially in a podunk town 70 miles from anywhere, have its own police force? :dunno:

I don’t mind municipal police assigning an officer to schools for security. But unless someone at the school commits a crime at the school, they have no other business there. And I mean a real ass crime, not failing to use someone’s preferred pronouns.
    Perhaps a Grant through the State or Feds?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Perhaps a Grant through the State or Feds?
    If we’re not gonna address the mental health issues and causes we’ll have to harden schools. I’m good with federal and state grants to do that. Even in podunk school districts.

Issue faculty and staff security badges. Secure various entrances with magnetic locks.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HMS Titanic keeps comiing to mind. Not a single event or action, but a series. And the hole in the hull of the Titanic was the same square footage as... a door.

Top Bottom