• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I must admit ignorance about what constituted grounds for commitment to an asylum back in the days that they were around. You heard the odd news story about Central State in Indy, but really nothing about the process.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think the threat should have been pursued. And charges made where applicable. And definitely some kind of psychological evaluation.
    Exactly. Instead of "fact checkers" that want to pursue political goals, why don't those people use their "powers" for good? Seek out and report these legitimate cases. Unfortunately I don't think those people could ever be trusted to do the right thing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I must admit ignorance about what constituted grounds for commitment to an asylum back in the days that they were around. You heard the odd news story about Central State in Indy, but really nothing about the process.
    My oldest sister worked at Central State as a music therapist back in the mid 60's. I remember her telling us about a particular patient that said, "I like roaches! They're crunchy!"

On a lighter note, Dad used to take me along to pick her up from work and he would let me "drive" his Plymouth Belvedere (with the push button transmission on the steering wheel) around the parking lot while we waited for her to come out. :):

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What are you saying? We’ve talked about bringing back asylums. We’ve talked about narcissism. You asked where I draw the line. I’m still trying to understand what you’re suggesting.

Do you think he should have been institutionalized?
    Not sure. I thought your point was we needed stronger mental health systems to stop this from happening. I took that to mean finding people with severe mental health problems to intervene before they do something bad

I'm wondering what he did that would have lead to an improved mental health system stopping him from doing this.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My oldest sister worked at Central State as a music therapist back in the mid 60's. I remember her telling us about a particular patient that said, "I like roaches! They're crunchy!"

On a lighter note, Dad used to take me along to pick her up from work and he would let me "drive" his Plymouth Belvedere (with the push button transmission on the steering wheel) around the parking lot while we waited for her to come out. :):
    Having several friends that attended Washington High school and living in the section of Haughville just outside the north gates we used to breach the fences and roam about the place. Climb up the fire escape shuts and walk around a bit and then run like mad when we were spotted. Not a lot of this but enough to remember it. That place was rough.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I think at the end of the day there is no single solution to end such atrocities. However there are many things that can be done to stop this BS.

Problem is there are too many that fall back on their same old playbook, infringe upon law abiding citizens rights, versus taking a serious look at what really needs to be done to stop these evil monsters. Sad to say there are many out there that would just assume stomp all over the Constitution to further their own sick agenda.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not sure. I thought your point was we needed stronger mental health systems to stop this from happening. I took that to mean finding people with severe mental health problems to intervene before they do something bad

I'm wondering what he did that would have lead to an improved mental health system stopping him from doing this.
    No. That’s the opposite of what I’m saying. :):

What I meant about narcissism was that it’s preventable. We don’t have to have a health system for that. Just grow up in a sane/stable home with parents who don’t coddle you, abuse you, and whatever else are the factors that tend to produce narcissists, and you won’t be a narcissist.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    They block the door for smoke break because it locks behind them. We install an external key so they can get back in. They block the door because digging thru their keys every time they go thru the door takes too much time. We install badge readers and electronic locks. They block the door because they forgot their badge. We install facial recognition. They block the door because cameras infringe on their privacy.

They block the doors because we didn't fire the first son if a bitch that blocked the door.

Real life situation.
    Simple solution: make school grounds tobacco-free. I mean, it works for guns, right?

Seriously, though: out in the real world (i.e. outside of school campuses), many manufacturing sites have gone entirely tobacco-free (particularly in the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry). Want to smoke at Lilly? Be prepared to walk over a mile, round-trip, to get outside of Lilly property.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    No. That’s the opposite of what I’m saying. :):

What I meant about narcissism was that it’s preventable. We don’t have to have a health system for that. Just grow up in a sane/stable home with parents who don’t coddle you, abuse you, and whatever else are the factors that tend to produce narcissists, and you won’t be a narcissist.
    I don't think your opinion has scientific evidence to support it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What behavior did this guy demonstrate that should have been grounds for his removal from society?

Obviously prior to his shooting rampage.
    Assuming the veracity of the claims, one could point to his alleged social media posts, prior to the shooting, regarding raping and shooting people. (Also, allegations of animal abuse. It always seems to be animal abuse with these monsters.)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Oh they know but the money behind the asshats in the seats wants us disarmed at any price. And these kids are the currency. Please prove me wrong. Please.
    I don't think I can prove you wrong.

Now, I don't see conspiracies here. They're not needed. Just create the right environment (moral decay, remove God, destroy the nuclear family, encourage mental illness - oh, and paint a giant, freaking target on schools with the GFSZA), and then let nature take its course.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Simple solution: make school grounds tobacco-free. I mean, it works for guns, right?

Seriously, though: out in the real world (i.e. outside of school campuses), many manufacturing sites have gone entirely tobacco-free (particularly in the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry). Want to smoke at Lilly? Be prepared to walk over a mile, round-trip, to get outside of Lilly property.
    Vaping for the win...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

But they didn't...

Is this a pic of them standing down while the children were in the process of getting slaughtered for almost an hour inside the school?
    I guess somebody posted that from their Facebook page showing Uvalde's SWAT team. That was something I was wondering about since many small towns now have 'SWAT' teams. If that was the case they should have had things like shields and breaching tools, they didn't need to call people an hour away. I can't find the overall size of the department but based on that picture a large portion of them are probably in that photo so from jump most of the SWAT team should have already been at the school?

Reactions: KG1

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I guess somebody posted that from their Facebook page showing Uvalde's SWAT team. That was something I was wondering about since many small towns now have 'SWAT' teams. If that was the case they should have had things like shields and breaching tools, they didn't need to call people an hour away. I can't find the overall size of the department but based on that picture a large portion of them are probably in that photo so from jump most of the SWAT team should have already been at the school?
    You would think they could've assembled there equipped with proper tools and taken action well before members from a BP tactical team arrived and decided to go in.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom