• ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes a .45acp hole is a 45acp hole

with a 200 gr wadcutter hole you usually don't have to get the overlays out.
    It is a nice big hole, the card board doesn't pull back up like on a ball hit.

Where you are looking and trying to figure out the grease ring hit, the wadcutter just leaves a hole

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    what are the differences in wadcutter, round nose and semi-wad as far as accuracy goes?

Any big differences? I know Burl likes the semis and Max like the round.

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Yes a .45acp hole is a 45acp hole

with a 200 gr wadcutter hole you usually don't have to get the overlays out.
    It is a nice big hole, the card board doesn't pull back up like on a ball hit.

Where you are looking and trying to figure out the grease ring hit, the wadcutter just leaves a hole

Hmmmm. 45 hole vs 40 hole. That's a total of 0.050 of an inch on the diameter. Fifty thousands of an inch. Thats 25 thousandths of an inch per side. That's about 7 sheets of paper or less than the thickness of your credit card.
    Just sayin:dunno:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    a wadcutter is all flat, used mostly in nra bullseye in 38 special cuts a round hole, hard to feed in a semi auto, although they are out there, colt made a a 1911 in 38 special

a semi wadcutter as a flat nose and then has a ledge, feeds easier and still cuts a hole

a ball round more punchs a hole and is not as clean, card board pulls back and will have a grease ring and the hole is not a clean as a wadcutter or semi wadcutter

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    what are the differences in wadcutter, round nose and semi-wad as far as accuracy goes?

Any big differences? I know Burl likes the semis and Max like the round.

A round nose will always feed better than a SWC. If feeding with SWC is never an issue (as has been my gun's experience,) the SWC will cut a perfect 45 caliber hole every time. No questions, no measuring.

I shoot LSWC because that's what Jake shoots!:yesway:
    When I can shoot "with" him and find a better load, I'll check back.:):

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I started shooting 230gr ball and experimented around with different stuff. I really liked going to a 16 pound recoil spring and the 200 gr lswc with 4.2grains of Clays

Clays is a fast burning powder and I like the quick snap. The gun tracks for me better than the 230gr ball.

I have tried vv n320 and like it also, but hard to find and not as cheap as clays.

I also liked to use large magnum primers and get a full powder burn, but have been using regular large primers and don't notice anything other than sometime would get unburnt powder flakes on my arms after shooting alot.

It is smokey, but never really noticed.

With the 230gr, which alot of people like because of the more of slow push recoil impulse, I found myself pushing the second shot down. With 200gr round I didn't have this and I like the big holes.

But it was also a problem. I started shooting IDPA and I was watching my hits instead of the sights because the targets were close. I would look over my sights and see the hits. With going faster in USPSA and with the added amount of steel and more distance on target I have really had to work over the last several years to get over that. I still do it and have to really focus to not do it.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Hmmmm. 45 hole vs 40 hole. That's a total of 0.050 of an inch on the diameter. Fifty thousands of an inch. Thats 25 thousandths of an inch per side. That's about 7 sheets of paper or less than the thickness of your credit card.
    Just sayin:dunno:

Dont be confusing the conversation with real math GH2!!! Thats just not cool... :D

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    It was hardly a real comparision test. I shot my trojan with my 200gr wadcutter load ( about a 167 power factor) with the gun set up with a 16 pound recoil spring, and the shot the .40 trojan.
    Gun was very accurate, just the recoil impulse was very sharp. I am not sure what Jeff's load was or bullet weight, and I only shot 2 mags so not much of a comparision.

I thought that the gun would track more like my limited gun, which is pretty flat.

I like the idea of just having one load in 40 to shoot. But I don't think I can give up my nice big ass 45 caliber wadcutter holes.......

lots of charlie's have been turned in to alpha's
    lots of delta's into charlies
    and touching the perf on the delta instead of a mike sure is sweet

185 Gr Black bullet with 5.2 Gr of auto comp
    I don't think there is a chance in hell of dropping to minor but my Chrono still won't work:)
    All the springs are stock

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    So.... the forecast for Atlanta is now:

High 44, Low 43, Showers

But I don't know if that is an improvement or not...?

Your friendly Shooting Meteorologist Crispy checking in...

Updated forecast:

High 47, Low 45, Showers

So Mongo, let's say the weatherman nails it. Is this weather "scrub worthy"?

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Your friendly Shooting Meteorologist Crispy checking in...

Updated forecast:

High 47, Low 45, Showers

So Mongo, let's say the weatherman nails it. Is this weather "scrub worthy"?

Get your gear ready, there is a match this coming sunday that you have been asking about and getting ready for for 2 weeks, there is no stopping you now

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    185 Gr Black bullet with 5.2 Gr of auto comp
    I don't think there is a chance in hell of dropping to minor but my Chrono still won't work:)
    All the springs are stock

I don't know anything about auto comp. I will have some of my
    170gr Precision Bullet with tight group on sunday to compare loads.

Not sure if the 40s&w trojan comes with an 18 pound spring or not. Most 45 1911's come with an 18 pound because if you are shooting a standard 230gr factory ball load it is usually around 840 fps, which is a power factor of 193.
    Since I am loading to the 165pf I drop the spring weight and the gun shoots flatter for me.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Get your gear ready, there is a match this coming sunday that you have been asking about and getting ready for for 2 weeks, there is no stopping you now

You're right, I have. Trust me, I don't want it cancelled.

I shot last Saturday even though I paid for it dearly. You have no idea how sick I was from Saturday through Monday. When I have a relapse after Sunday, my wife is going to chew my ass... ;)

I'll be there regardless. Looks like I need to find my rain suit...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I shot last Saturday even though I paid for it dearly. You have no idea how sick I was from Saturday through Monday. When I have a relapse after Sunday, my wife is going to chew my ass...

You should see me after matches through about Tuesday... looks like I should be in a wheelchair with my arthritis all inflamed... but it's more fun than sitting around playing video games :D

Top Bottom