Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Moi aussi :(

I dont really speak like a scholar unless I'm talking to foreigners and I actually need to construct my sentences properly for them to understand.

Like I would say "It is what time?" to ask for the time instead of "What time is it?".
    People understand but it's not proper.
    Well I dont think I need to explain INGO that concept of "non-proper grammar". :):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A friend of mines mother is a German immigrant and we were showing her Google translator one day. She got annoyed with all the errors in translation.

Yeah you usually understand most of it as long as it is a basic sentence.
    Buy little mistakes are annoying, kinda like hearing teenagers speak I guess.

You just want to slap them in the face even if you, kinda, understand what they are saying.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yeah you usually understand most of it as long as it is a basic sentence.
    Buy little mistakes are annoying, kinda like hearing teenagers speak I guess.

You just want to slap them in the face even if you, kinda, understand what they are saying.

Yeah she said it was mostly backwards noun/verb stuff. She said she could tell it wasn't a native speaker that wrote the program. She understood but to her it was like listening to foreigners speak

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah she said it was mostly backwards noun/verb stuff. She said she could tell it wasn't a native speaker that wrote the program. She understood but to her it was like listening to foreigners speak

Also the use of the gender in some languages makes it very hard to translate properly.
    A sentence as simple as "I am American." will be badly translate half of the time in French because there is no way for you to let the program know if you're male or female.
    Same way if you want to say "My neighbor is nice".
    The program doesn't know if the neighor is male or female so the noun will probably be wrong. :dunno:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Also the use of the gender in some languages makes it very hard to translate properly.
    A sentence as simple as "I am American." will be badly translate half of the time in French because there is no way for you to let the program know if you're male or female.
    The program doesn't know if the neighor is male or female so the noun will probably be wrong. :dunno:

That is one thing that always bothered me. Changing the way I spoke or wrote due to gender changes :faint:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

So say I type something along the lines of " My neighbor is hot" into google and it doesn't know I'm talking about a girl so it uses the masculine noun to translate? So if I said that to you in French I would essentially be calling my hot neighbor lady an attractive man?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That is one thing that always bothered me. Changing the way I spoke or wrote due to gender changes :faint:

The worse is probably knowing the gender of every single noun.
    Like knowing if "a table" is feminine or masculine, and looking under it wont help you. :):

And there is no logic behind it.
    "a Table" is feminine but "a desk" is masculine, even though it can be the same object. :dunno:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So say I type something along the lines of " My neighbor is hot" into google and it doesn't know I'm talking about a girl so it uses the masculine verb to translate? So if I said that to you in French I would essentially be calling my hot neighbor lady an attractive man?

Yes and no. You know your neighbor is a lady. No one else does. You would essentially be coming out of the closet, actually

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom