Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So what about the people who have well over a 1000 post's and have been members for 2+ years selling the junk for 5x the market value? It's not JUST the new members...

Not much can be done about that. Just do not buy it is my answer, same as with the noobs.

This has sent me back to my LGS locations as it is less expensive and requires less credentials.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    So what about the people who have well over a 1000 post's and have been members for 2+ years selling the junk for 5x the market value? It's not JUST the new members...

you're right its not JUST the new guys but if you look through the ads 98% are from people with the min requirements. I'm just saying if its up then there will be much less garbage to sift through for the people that are the real INGO community.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Come on guys. it is easy for all of you to say that when you have 1000+ posts. Those of us that are new to the forums want to buy and sell as well. Right now the "industry" is in bad shape because people are panic buying. We all know that you can't buy anything from anywhere. My local gunshop, Blythes, has raised the prices of their guns to take advantage of the demand. If people want to pay extra, whether its $5 or $500 over retail...that is THEIR problem.

Supply and Demand....it is simple economics.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I agree with most of what's been posted in this thread. I'm happy with INGO and it's moderators. I'd like to see the 50 qualifying posts moved to a higher level, and the quality of those posts more intensely moderated.

I, too am not happy with the current state of our Classifieds. Hopefully this will help. :twocents:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Come on guys. it is easy for all of you to say that when you have 1000+ posts. Those of us that are new to the forums want to buy and sell as well. Right now the "industry" is in bad shape because people are panic buying. We all know that you can't buy anything from anywhere. My local gunshop, Blythes, has raised the prices of their guns to take advantage of the demand. If people want to pay extra, whether its $5 or $500 over retail...that is THEIR problem.

Supply and demand is one thing, but INGO is a gun community, not a for sale site. Protecting that community is in INGOs own interest. There are plenty of other sites that are about gun sales if that is your primary interest. I'm not convinced that bumping the post count again is a great solution, but I can understand the feeling.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Supply and demand is one thing, but INGO is a gun community, not a for sale site. Protecting that community is in INGOs own interest. There are plenty of other sites that are about gun sales if that is your primary interest. I'm not convinced that bumping the post count again is a great solution, but I can understand the feeling.

I get that. 100%. And it is what it is. If INGO members are paying for the marked up goods then so be it. If nobody buys then eventually people will stop selling with such high markups. I set the value for what I buy when I pay for it. If I think an M&P clip is worth $500 than to me it is.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

The thing is, INGO was never started as a classifieds board, it was added as a benefit to participating members. The problem is that there's been a flood of new people and their only goal is getting to the classifieds. How many posts do you see with hi!, that's great!, I agree, and the list goes. As soon as they have their fifty or pay their way in, you never see them again because their intention was never to be part of the forum.
    I could care less about high prices, if I had a few guns that I didn't want when the panic started, you'd better believe I would have had sky high prices. I just don't like people muddying up the forum when their obvious intention isn't being part of the forum.
    With all that in mind, raise the post count to be 200, get rid of the pay to play system, and make it mandatory for the member to be active for six months before participating in the classifieds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Stick around for a while and get a real sense of what this place is about other than selling/buying. That is only a small part of the equation. The friendships and knowledge I have gained is priceless.
    Economics does not come into this at all. We can ignore those adds posted at ridiculous prices but this has taken away something I enjoyed in the classifieds. Getting a decent deal on a nice gun and meeting new people. Clandestine meetings behind Bob Evans on exit XXX to make the exchange. Great fun. I have not bought from the classifieds since the madness but have bought 3 new guns. There are new guns out there to be purchased at good prices over the crap I see here for nut prices.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Stick around for a while and get a real sense of what this place is about other than selling/buying. That is only a small part of the equation. The friendships and knowledge I have gained is priceless.
    Economics does not come into this at all. We can ignore those adds posted at ridiculous prices but this has taken away something I enjoyed in the classifieds. Getting a decent deal on a nice gun and meeting new people. Clandestine meetings behind Bob Evans on exit XXX to make the exchange. Great fun. I have not bought from the classifieds since the madness but have bought 3 new guns. There are new guns out there to be purchased at good prices over the crap I see here for nut prices.

I do get what this place is about. I have been on many forums. From import race cars to photography to ingo. The community is good here at least from what I can tell. But guys this is a public forum. Not your own personal playground. If you want to regulate your members why don't you start a facebook group and mark it private/invitation only.

I am not trying to be a jerk here, but I think that some of you need to realize that you can't be so elitist. So up the post to 200, 500, whatever. The same guys are going to complain that it is not enough. Maybe make it so you can only sell with 5,000 posts and 1 year of quality posts. But then who decides what is a quality post?

Shoot now that I think about it I may get to my 50 posts today in this thread alone. Keep your eyes out for a $500 clip in the classifieds! HA, J/K.

Last edited by a moderator:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We're quite happy hearing suggestions. We welcome them. I can't see upping the post count as being of any use. Getting rid of the paid site supporter isn't beneficial either. We really do have a lot of people on here who read a lot of the forums and never post. So it is just the right thing to do to allow those members to pay to play so to speak.

Putting a time limit might be an option. I don't know but all we can do is bring it to the staffs attention and let us discuss it to figure out what we need to do.

The classifieds are a large part of our discussions. We are really looking at other options and ways to better serve the INGO community.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    We are regulated. There's rules for reason. No talk of religion is an example....

Yes, but nobody is breaking any rules by selling in the classifieds with their post requirement met.

Maybe you should have the mods make a rule to say that all used guns can not be listed for more than they are worth..........

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Who are we to say what a gun is worth? It's only worth what someone will pay for it. I do NOT want that job and I know none of the other mods would want that job either. So that's definitely NOT going to happen.

If a member posts an ad for something they want $500 for but someone else offers $125 for it then that should tell the person that they are charging too much. That's not the way it works though. They report the post as someone lowballing them.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes, but nobody is breaking any rules by selling in the classifieds with their post requirement met.

Maybe you should have the mods make a rule to say that all used guns can not be listed for more than they are worth..........

You've missed my point. If you want to sell your hi point for $2,000, then, by all means, go for it. If you're trying to get fifty posts by filling the board with worthless crap (which you are not doing), then go somewhere else.

My job as a moderator is difficult enough, and then people add more to it by joining and racing to the classifieds with one word posts. They're the people that are breaking the rules, not you. I have a job and a family, and I can't spend every minute being a moderator.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Who are we to say what a gun is worth? It's only worth what someone will pay for it. I do NOT want that job and I know none of the other mods would want that job either. So that's definitely NOT going to happen.

If a member posts an ad for something they want $500 for but someone else offers $125 for it then that should tell the person that they are charging too much. That's not the way it works though. They report the post as someone lowballing them.

Yes exactly my point. The marketplace sets that value. If you pay for it you agree to its value. If you don't, then obviously you think the price is to high.

I am in the market for a new reloading press however I won't buy one now because they are selling for several hundred dollars over retail. Used Dillons are fetching over $1,000 on ebay and the very respectable Hornady LNL is fetching almost $700.

In any sense...I think we are in agreement.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    You've missed my point. If you want to sell your hi point for $2,000, then, by all means, go for it. If you're trying to get fifty posts by filling the board with worthless crap (which you are not doing), then go somewhere else.

My job as a moderator is difficult enough, and then people add more to it by joining and racing to the classifieds with one word posts. They're the people that are breaking the rules, not you. I have a job and a family, and I can't spend every minute being a moderator.

Rook, I agree. And nobody likes one word posts. I see it all of the time on here and other forums. I even do it on occasion without thinking about it. This is a good forum and I like being a part of it. I also look forward to being a part of the marketplace at some point, but probably wont be buying anything right now because of the situation anyway.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Oh look, YET ANOTHER job I'll have to do myself. I really need to talk to Fenway about a raise....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom