• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    At the risk of pissing people off........I got a question. Why don't the big 3 just start hiring new people to replace the striking UAW employees jobs/hire scabs? I would think that would be the proper way to find out if the money they pay is considered fair or not. If people are unwilling to go to work for GM, Ford or Dodge, we will know the strikers are right........but if people line up for jobs, then what?

On another note.....I remember when my family use to go on strike at the coal mines in Virginia/West Virginia.......them strikes use to get violent when scabs crossed the lines.

I am neither for or against unions......I really could care less, since I swore off American cars I have no horse in the race.
    Where are these employees going to come from?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Which is wrong. And illegal.
    Private security company or self security and the 2nd Amendment is all you should need to safely cross a picket line. If anyone crossing the line is in danger, than that shows you the quality of the people you had working for you. I would think any sane company would want to replace any worker who endangered someone willing to cross the picket line.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I wondered when that word would be used. lol
    You didn't think Joe opened the border for no reason did you? We always follow the money on this board. He figures get them here where they can vote, work, shop, buy houses and pay taxes.........rather than have Ford go to Mexico where we get no tax, sell no homes and he gets no votes, lol.

What a mess we live in now days.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    OK, where does just the Fort Wayne Plant get over 4,000 hourly workers?

Answer, They are not there.
    I'd say Indeed, Linked In, high school graduating classes, college grads. Should not take more than 3 weeks to hire 4000 applicants, and another 3-6 weeks to train the new ones.
    My uncle is sitting next to me right now, he worked at the Ft. Wayne plant. I just asked him. It took 2 weeks to get hired after applying, and then he was on the job working his position within 7 days after walking into the plant for the first time.
    Pretty sure the whole Ft. Wayne plant is replaceable in less than 5 weeks.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Private security company or self security and the 2nd Amendment is all you should need to safely cross a picket line. If anyone crossing the line is in danger, than that shows you the quality of the people you had working for you. I would think any sane company would want to replace any worker who endangered someone willing to cross the picket line.
    This.

Thing is, I'm a firm believer in avoiding places I would not go if unarmed. I know I would likely meet violence there and would probably have to defend myself. I don't want to shoot a pissed off union worker just to cross a picket line, so I wouldn't do it. But. For their part. They shouldn't act like bitch ass thugs either.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Nope. Seen it, many times.
    Really. You've seen a company whose employees are on strike, offer those jobs to other people, and there were not enough workers to take it?

Or. Is it more like they won't cross the picket line because of the threat of violence?

Which are you saying?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'd say Indeed, Linked In, high school graduating classes, college grads. Should not take more than 3 weeks to hire 4000 applicants, and another 3-6 weeks to train the new ones.
    My uncle is sitting next to me right now, he worked at the Ft. Wayne plant. I just asked him. It took 2 weeks to get hired after applying, and then he was on the job working his position within 7 days after walking into the plant for the first time.
    I just read where GM hired scabs for $14-15 an hour.......so apparently people are willing to work a lot cheaper than I thought they would and I guess this answers my original question.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not a chance.

Hers a bit of insider info, my bestie worked HR and Contracts in two different GM plants in the last five years. Those here that work in Marion all know my girl.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not a chance.

Hers a bit of insider info, my bestie worked HR and Contracts in two different GM plants in the last five years. Those here that work in Marion all know my girl.
    I’m skeptical that a town of FW’s size could not find 4K workers. But we all know this is moot, because GM isn’t gonna hire people to replace the union workers. If they were gonna do that, they’d move the operations to a state that’s nonunion.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Really. You've seen a company whose employees are on strike, offer those jobs to other people, and there were not enough workers to take it?

Or. Is it more like they won't cross the picket line because of the threat of violence?

Which are you saying?
    Both,
    I was offered a job not long ago. I was to be trained with a few hundred others in one State and in 40-50 days or so go to another State to work in another plant.
    I told myself, this is odd behavior, with the head hunter not telling me what plants I would be working in.
    I surfed online and it was a Locomotive manufacturer. I called the head hunter back and asked if the second plant was a Union Plant and he said , why?
    I asked if we were going to be asked if we were going to cross lines?
    He said yes, if they go on strike. I responded with I'll pass.
    He said I wasn't the first to tell him that.

If one crosses a picket line, be careful.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom