• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I was recently at a party in Bloomington. The owner\ host of the party, heard through the grapevine that I carry a gun at all times. She approached me at a high rate of speed, with the 1000 yard stare. Loudly, she asks if I have a gun on me. I told her, none of your business.

She told everyone (10 people) to stay away from me as not to get killed!!!! Then tells me leave and she is calling the police. I quickly bypassed the double dip and went straight for the triple dip leaving a trail of Nacho dip in my wake.

Sadly 2 of my now ex-friends called the next day and said I and guns were there topic of conversation for the next hour.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was recently at a party in Bloomington. The owner\ host of the party, heard through the grapevine that I carry a gun at all times. She approached me at a high rate of speed, with the 1000 yard stare. Loudly, she asks if I have a gun on me. I told her, none of your business.

She told everyone (10 people) to stay away from me as not to get killed!!!! Then tells me leave and she is calling the police. I quickly bypassed the double dip and went straight for the triple dip leaving a trail of Nacho dip in my wake.

Sadly 2 of my now ex-friends called the next day and said I and guns were there topic of conversation for the next hour.

Now you know the enemy. Their numbers are legion. Their intelligence is questionable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm in a similar situation with not being allowed to carry at work and I usually have at least two blades on me so I get it. I also have trained enough to know that even someone not familiar with knife fighting could disarm me more readily than when I have a gun, and if they have even a little street fighting experience that blade is going to be more of a liability than an asset to an untrained person.

Basic use of a knife really isn't as big a time commitment as it may seem provided you practice. Regardless of the weapon you have though, self defense is a package deal.

The proper knife will fit your hand very well. Making a fist around your knife (if it is in fact proper for you) will act similar to a roll of quarters. Try it on a heavy bag or similar target. If you have any skills at all this can be a formidable asset.
    As has been said, not opened up it does not draw attention.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Side note; We recently moved out of Mars Hill proper to a nice quiet neighborhood a couple miles away.

Sorry to tell you, but there are no nice neighborhoods within a couple miles of Mars Hill. Keep your situational awareness up. Used to live in Decatur township. Glad to have escaped a few years ago. That corner of the county is methbilly heaven.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Sorry to tell you, but there are no nice neighborhoods within a couple miles of Mars Hill. Keep your situational awareness up. Used to live in Decatur township. Glad to have escaped a few years ago. That corner of the county is methbilly heaven.

Pretty much any neighborhood is considered nice when moving out of Mars Hill.

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Just out of curiosity and I must state I am a 2nd amendment supporter, lifetime LTCH holder and armed every day ! Considering the outcome of this encounter exactly how would it have helped if the OP was armed ? Granted the individuals were creeps and trespassing but as stated not acting in any hostile manner. If OP had displayed a handgun is it possible after PD arrived and creeps were checked for any outstandings stated they were terrified of being shot and OP was charged with criminal recklessness ? Of course things could have went south rapidly but that's the what if which of course should always be considered. Remember I'm just curious about everyones opinion.

:popcorn:

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    Just out of curiosity and I must state I am a 2nd amendment supporter, lifetime LTCH holder and armed every day ! Considering the outcome of this encounter exactly how would it have helped if the OP was armed ? Granted the individuals were creeps and trespassing but as stated not acting in any hostile manner. If OP had displayed a handgun is it possible after PD arrived and creeps were checked for any outstandings stated they were terrified of being shot and OP was charged with criminal recklessness ? Of course things could have went south rapidly but that's the what if which of course should always be considered. Remember I'm just curious about everyones opinion.

I think being armed would have been good here just because this could have went south very quickly. I'm going to make the following assumptions: That OP has a standard 2 car garage, and pulls in with the wall connected to the house off of his driver side door. And that there is probably 2 feet between the car and the wall, just enough room to get out. OP probably has very little room to get around the front of his car as i would assume he has a work bench, a beer fridge, or other clutter.

Now assuming these variables, when OP is confronted by not one, but two people, one of them muscular, he is already in a very enclosed environment. Had they decided they wanted to take what they wanted by force instead of distraction he could have easily found himself overpowered. OP was outnumbered and boxed in with no easy way out. I think the only thing that could of made this situation worse is if it was night or OP had an injury or disability. I can't really think of a more text book example of why you would want to be carrying a concealed weapon.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You missed a key point. He was in his work vehicle. So he was technically still on company property so he cant keep it in the vehicle. (one reason I dont push for a company car even though I drive for work often)

The "work vehicle" aspect of the story must have been posted later in the thread, because I definitely did not see that in the OP's original post.

Thanks

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Hmmmm.... There's something here I don't like. I've been paying attention to threads like this and there seems to be an underlying current of carriers reluctant to display a weapon in a questionable circumstance for fear of getting arrested themselves. I'm not used to that. Is it only proper to pull a weapon in Indiana once you're having your skull caved in? Back home there are no "brandishing" laws. It would have proper to have met them, gun in hand. Pointing it directly at them might have been questioned, but a criminal with sour grapes that got away from the situation wouldn't have gotten anywhere by calling the police and saying they were threatened.

I'm getting the impression that a potential defensive situation in Indiana has been legislated down to a quick draw contest. If so, this needs changed.

Chris

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

That is why if you EVER have to draw and your weapon is seen, you should immediately report the encounter to the police. Make sure you are the first one telling the story and setting the narrative. Otherwise it could be an uphill battle to explain your way out of the bad guy's story of "some crazy dude pulled a gun on me for no reason. I was walking down the sidewalk, minding my own business...". If you set the narrative, its up to the crackhead to try to talk HIS way out of it.

The "work vehicle" aspect of the story must have been posted later in the thread, because I definitely did not see that in the OP's original post.

Thanks

Post#4:

I was in my work vehicle, not my vehicle.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Hmmmm.... There's something here I don't like. I've been paying attention to threads like this and there seems to be an underlying current of carriers reluctant to display a weapon in a questionable circumstance for fear of getting arrested themselves. I'm not used to that. Is it only proper to pull a weapon in Indiana once you're having your skull caved in? Back home there are no "brandishing" laws. It would have proper to have met them, gun in hand. Pointing it directly at them might have been questioned, but a criminal with sour grapes that got away from the situation wouldn't have gotten anywhere by calling the police and saying they were threatened.

I'm getting the impression that a potential defensive situation in Indiana has been legislated down to a quick draw contest. If so, this needs changed.

Chris
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ntials-indiana-gun-law-courses-scheduled.html

Take this class so you can know for sure.

I said earlier that I would not have drawn a pistol if I had one because I didn't have enough information. All I knew was an unknown car parked suspiciously right up in my business and there was more than one person.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I read the original message, it made me think that Joe Owens was probably a previous occupant of the residence and the two guys had some kind of beef with him. Moving into a home that was previously occupied by people who were in or caused trouble sometimes results in inheriting some of that trouble for a while.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When I read the original message, it made me think that Joe Owens was probably a previous occupant of the residence and the two guys had some kind of beef with him. Moving into a home that was previously occupied by people who were in or caused trouble sometimes results in inheriting some of that trouble for a while.

But OP stated he knows the names of the owner of the house and it wasnt Joe. Junkies looking for something to steal. Plain and simple.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I'm no expert but it seems you did well. Just because you can't carry at work doesn't mean you can't lock it in you vehicle and carry while traveling to and from.

My only other advice would be to break contact immediately or at least faster. The longer the conversation the worse off you are IMO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

If I am in my garage and surprised by someone or some ones like this yes, I am going to make it known I am armed and they need to leave. On my property..............You betcha.
    On the street, might be a push unless you can prove you were fearing your life.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm no expert but it seems you did well. Just because you can't carry at work doesn't mean you can't lock it in you vehicle and carry while traveling to and from.

My only other advice would be to break contact immediately or at least faster. The longer the conversation the worse off you are IMO.

You also missed post#4. He was in his work vehicle, so in the car he is on company property. "parking lot law" only applies to personal vehicles.

Top Bottom