• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I would be talking to neighbors (and possibly the real estate agent?) to see if a Joe Owens did previously live in the house....

A great conversation to have with neighbors. You get to know who your neighbors are. By asking about Joe Owens you can relay (parts of) the story without sounding paranoid. Hopefully it will make your neighbors keep an eye out for unusual people too. They may share other unusual experiences they have noticed. More eyes on the situation can only help as a camera cannot call the police but a neighbor could.

...never leave the door open...as you found out it only takes a moment to be caught off guard so eliminate as many factors as possible...

A good reminder as spring is right around the corner. Don't be around the corner of the house working on the landscaping with the garage door open. Don't be around the corner of the house working while unarmed.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Honestly, it doesn't appear based on your story that these guys were up to no good. They honestly may have been trying to find a "Joe Owens." I say this because you obviously saw their faces, the hung around to talk to you, stayed in the neighborhood (within sight of your home) and we're eventually identified by police. If they were casing houses, they are even dumber than your average criminal.
    You however, handled the situation as appropriately as you could, so no faults there. It better to get your mindset right, and be wrong, than dead in your garage.

Are you from MARS.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Are you from MARS.

Ruger, I think he is a LEO from what I have gathered from multiple other post.

His arrest them all and let the judge figure it out mentality showing just a bit with his post.

At this time a simple look of disdain would suffice, save the ass chapping for when he really acts out.

But I could be wrong.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville

His arrest them all and let the judge figure it out mentality showing just a bit with his post.

At this time a simple look of disdain would suffice, save the ass chapping for when he really acts out.

But I could be wrong.
    :popcorn:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I know, another time commitment. I agree if I'm going to carry it, I need to know enough about it and how to use it. I've never really considered carrying a knife, but the fact is I don't always have access to my gun like I want to. Having an out of band secondary option seems the smart way to go.

I'm in a similar situation with not being allowed to carry at work and I usually have at least two blades on me so I get it. I also have trained enough to know that even someone not familiar with knife fighting could disarm me more readily than when I have a gun, and if they have even a little street fighting experience that blade is going to be more of a liability than an asset to an untrained person.

Basic use of a knife really isn't as big a time commitment as it may seem provided you practice. Regardless of the weapon you have though, self defense is a package deal.

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    Come home for lunch yesterday afternoon. Opened the garage door with remote, pull in and shut off car and leave the overhead door up. I'm setting in the car listening to the book "A Wilderness of Error" and I look up a guy in the book on my phone. In the car reading on my phone for maybe 5 minutes. Look in the rear view mirror and I see a car right behind me, almost in the garage with me. I also see a glimpse of one person and see a man going toward my front door.

Side note; We recently moved out of Mars Hill proper to a nice quiet neighborhood a couple miles away.
    I can not carry a gun at work.

I throw myself out of the car, palm my Ultratech knife and say can I help you to the man standing almost inside my garage. This guy is about 25 5'8" and very heavily muscled. Young guy calls to the other guy and he comes almost in the garage and asks me if I know his friend Joe Owens. This guy is around 60 and skinny. No I don't who you are looking for this is my house I say. Young guy says god damn you really jumped out of that car, I give him a ha ha JOE don't live here. Old guy is going on how Joe has lived around here for 20 years and such. The conversation is not friendly and going on much longer than I would like. Finally the old man says alright I guess we will leave since you don't know Joe. I hit the button to close the garage door as soon as they are out of the way, go in the house and watch them leave.

I don't like it, these guys are going to go rob or steal from someone else, I get in the car and go look for them. I see the vehicle at another house and the young guy walking through people's front yards up by the front doors,not the street. I pull off on a side street and call IMPD. The young one jumps a fence and goes in someone's back yard.

He comes out of the yard ( he didn't have time to go in the house) and is picked up by the old guy at Mann and Mooresville.

I follow them and tell dispatch as much and other pertinent information. I follow these *******s for 10 minutes using all the tricks I've seen in movies to remain undetected. They might have caught on to me and pulled into another house. Dispatch told me to go on down the road and an officer will meet up with me soon.

Officers pull up to me about 15 min. later after I got off the phone with dispatch. The cop said he was sorry but he was not able to arrest them and he had no doubt they were up to no good. I told them my little story of why I called, the officers thanked me for calling and I thanked them for their efforts to help.

I was disappointed with myself for letting them catch me unaware. I freaked out a bit cause the car was right behind me and guys out of the vehicle was my first observation.

Leaving my garage door open for anyone driving down the road to see a dirt bike, tools and equipment is a bad idea.

The old guy going to front door was meant to be a distraction as the young guy stole my stuff out of the garage. As they didn't know I was in the car looking at my phone like a teenage girl. That is why he parked so close to the garage. From the front door it would be difficult to see someone loading my tools into their car. -opinion-

While confronting them I did not activate the blade on my Microtech, I was standing at an angle to them to hide it and give me a good base for a fight.

I have little doubt as we were in my garage talking, I was sizing them up for a fight and they were doing the same to me.

Have you ever considered installing some surveillance cameras? You can get some quality Hikvision cameras pretty cheap. I can read license plates going both directions on the street I live on.

I use the following:

Mailbox/Street Northbound: Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 12mm
    Street Southbound: Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 12mm
    Front Porch: Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 4mm
    Backyard: Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 4mm

Recording Setup: PC running Blue Iris Software
    Power: Cameras are all POE powered. So you just have to run Cat5e to them.

Below is a simplified diagram. You can bridge a PC wireless to wired and just keep all camera traffic between a remote PC and the cameras. Add a switch between the PC and cameras to add multiples.

View attachment 44818

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pass that popcorn, nakinate.

The way to find "an old friend" is not to try one house with an open garage, then go up and down the neighborhood checking backyards for him like he's a lost puppy.

The first words out should be, "Step back into the driveway" in a stern tone. You don't want to get cornered by two dudes in your garage - limited visibility give the bad guys privacy for their attack, and there's limited room for your retreat.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Had a similar meeting. The garage was behind the house. I came out, they said they were lost.

I did too.

Me three.

Mine was funny.

It was predawn and I was all suited up to go deer hunting, carrying my Browning BPS. As I entered the garage, I thought I saw someone move past a garage window. I slid 3 slugs into the Browning hit the button for garage door. As the door was coming up, I saw feet. Feet that appeared to be dancing to the tune of Should I Stay or Should I Go. Like he knew he was caught, but couldn't decide if he should try to talk his way out of it or run. When the door made it all the up and the dude saw me in all my camoed out, shotgun totin glory, he decided he should go, quickly.:laugh:

I hollered, can I help you? But he was too busy speed walking, trying not to break into a full sprint, to answer.

It was unsettling because I am in a very rural area. I decided to forgo deer hunting that morning and watched him scurry down the road until he was outta sight. Never saw a vehicle or anything.:dunno:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

But I could be wrong.

"Arrest them all....mentality"? Lol, and that's what you got from my posts in this thread? Dude have a 5 Hour Energy drink and wake up. Most people would assume exactly the opposite of what you figured.
    As for my "acting out," and the chapping you want to do to a particular part of anatomy.... well....you are obviously new here. All ill say, is that you don't have to agree with me, most don't, but keep your tongue civil, and neither of us will have to worry about your interesting uses for blistex.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I guess I sort of had a similar incident. Out for early morning walk in a desolate area...never saw anyone out there before. A guy dressed in black sweats came running up behind me.

He obviously didn't see the Great Dane/Doberman cross that I was walking. Max, or more formally Emperor Maximilian the III, flew by me about waist high with his mouth in full I'm going to kill you mode, he grabbed him by the arm and threw him about 10 feet away.

I never found out if he was trying to mug me or just out for a run...he ran away pretty fast and didn't look back. If Max wasn't on a tether I'm pretty sure it would have been over for him.

Good dog!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    "Arrest them all....mentality"? Lol, and that's what you got from my posts in this thread? Dude have a 5 Hour Energy drink and wake up. Most people would assume exactly the opposite of what you figured.
    As for my "acting out," and the chapping you want to do to a particular part of anatomy.... well....you are obviously new here. All ill say, is that you don't have to agree with me, most don't, but keep your tongue civil, and neither of us will have to worry about your interesting uses for blistex.

Yeah good ol' Kut..A regular curb stomping, bust 'em all Fascist....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom