• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Roland, good job in recovering to situational awareness mode. I would take most of the suggestions offered here and put them into practice. Another offering-go out and buy two LARGE dog bowls. Write names on the side of the bowls. Put one in the garage in plain sight but out of the way of your vehicle. Put the other near your back door. I have done this for years before and after I put up a privacy fence. I have watched from inside, through a window, as strangers approached the house. They see the bowl and head another way away from my house. Spike and Pete live on.
    Agree on the dog bowl tactic. I also have a 'Beware of Dog' sign on my backyard fence.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    OP, good story, nice work. My big takeaway is I need to carry a knife. I can't carry a gun at work, but I can leave it in the car (and I do). Still need a backup solution and your knife is the cheese. I'll need to start perusing the knife forum for ideas, I'm a complete knife kn00b.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    OP, good story, nice work. My big takeaway is I need to carry a knife. I can't carry a gun at work, but I can leave it in the car (and I do). Still need a backup solution and your knife is the cheese. I'll need to start perusing the knife forum for ideas, I'm a complete knife kn00b.

Nobody wins in a knife fight.

It's not enough to just carry a knife; you need to practice fighting with it too.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This is why we have cameras, lights, and never leave the door open...as you found out it only takes a moment to be caught off guard so eliminate as many factors as possible.

Layer your defense, layer your offense. I'm glad you were able to share this and good on you for shadowing the perps and notifying police.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Just a couple of quick observations.

#1 Concealed means concealed......you decide if your best option for a violent self defense situation is important enough for you to learn how to carry discreetly.
    #2 Ditch the Ultratech and get yourself a fixed blade. Knives are not ideal in physical confrontations, but an OTF is a toy compared to a solid fixed blade. Nothing is faster or stronger when it comes to a fighting knife.
    #3 Ask more questions.......I'm not sure how your conversation went, but I know I would be drilling the guys with questions. It's pretty easy to discover someone's general honesty by asking questions.
    #4 Seek some training in FOF and impact weapons. Flashlights are also great tools.
    #5 Watch your 6......including when you are in a vehicle. I know that they caught you by surprise in a place you felt safe with your head in your cell phone, we all do it nowadays. I'm sure your awareness is heightened after your encounter.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    That makes a big difference. I've seriously considered getting a small gun for ankle carry so I can always have something.
    depending on your occupation an ankle holster might not work. I used to carry a PPK in an ankle holster so my tool belt wouldn't interfere with drawing, until it was spotted while I was on a ladder:noway:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I would say that most people are not "allowed" to carry a gun at work, as this is a very common workplace rule. This is exactly why the Indiana legislature and Governor some years back passed the "Bring your gun to work laws" in 2010 and 2011.

A link to a Taft Law article aimed at employers to modify their rules concerning guns on workplace property:
    Indiana's Guns-in-the-Workplace Law is Amended to Provide Employees More Protection - Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP

At a minimum, keep your gun in your vehicle... Problem solved!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Huh? I don't buy that. That's just not how you find "Joe". That's the astonishingly unbelievable story really stupid criminals use when they get surprised trying to steal **** from your open garage.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Had a similar meeting. The garage was behind the house. I came out, they said they were lost.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I would be talking to neighbors (and possibly the real estate agent?) to see if a Joe Owens did previously live in the house. That would just my curious side wanting to enforce my suspicions or lessen the threat.
    Sounds like you did everything about as well as you could, given the situation. Any of us can get caught off guard. It's how you react to the situation that counts. Very rarely is it going to be on all of our terms.
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive" - Drill Sergeant Hepburn

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Nobody wins in a knife fight.

It's not enough to just carry a knife; you need to practice fighting with it too.
    I know, another time commitment. I agree if I'm going to carry it, I need to know enough about it and how to use it. I've never really considered carrying a knife, but the fact is I don't always have access to my gun like I want to. Having an out of band secondary option seems the smart way to go.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would say that most people are not "allowed" to carry a gun at work, as this is a very common workplace rule. This is exactly why the Indiana legislature and Governor some years back passed the "Bring your gun to work laws" in 2010 and 2011.

A link to a Taft Law article aimed at employers to modify their rules concerning guns on workplace property:
    Indiana's Guns-in-the-Workplace Law is Amended to Provide Employees More Protection - Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP

At a minimum, keep your gun in your vehicle... Problem solved!

You missed a key point. He was in his work vehicle. So he was technically still on company property so he cant keep it in the vehicle. (one reason I dont push for a company car even though I drive for work often)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ^^^THIS^^^

Had a similar meeting. The garage was behind the house. I came out, they said they were lost.
    I did too.

People make up really stupid reasons for being where they obviously have no business being. The rediculous story is probably clue #3 that they were up to no good.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Honestly, it doesn't appear based on your story that these guys were up to no good. ......

latest

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Common in the area now. They're hitting unlocked cars nearly every night. That scheme, the old guy goes to the door and keeps the homeowner busy while the other guy goes into the garage looking for the door remote or anything they can pocket quick. I hate thieves.....

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Call it occupational experience. Odd, yes. Should be check out, yes. Typical criminal behavior, no.

………. I see a car right behind me, almost in the garage with me. I also see a glimpse of one person and see a man going toward my front door. …….

…… The conversation is not friendly and going on much longer than I would like. Finally the old man says alright I guess we will leave since you don't know Joe………

I don't like it, these guys are going to go rob or steal from someone else, I get in the car and go look for them. I see the vehicle at another house and the young guy walking through people's front yards up by the front doors,not the street. I pull off on a side street and call IMPD. The young one jumps a fence and goes in someone's back yard.

Officers pull up to me about 15 min. later after I got off the phone with dispatch. The cop said he was sorry but he was not able to arrest them and he had no doubt they were up to no good.

They were not taking a collection for the salvation army. Typical criminal behavior? They are just bolder than typical.

When I approach someones house I don't know I typically jump fences, enter garages and then get in their ass when they confront me. Standard behavior.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    So there I was with my dad trying to find an old war buddy when this jerk comes outta his car like a missile with a freaking switchblade in his hand like he's some kind of Rambo...

Wait, do you have to start a new thread for that?

YES, you must start a new thread for that. It's over on yellowbullet.com

But I may be wrong...................... not.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Coming to/going from your house on foot/with car/in-out garage is a "transition." [1]

People are often hit during transitions and your awareness should be up. Hope you learned from the mistake here.

My door goes up when I pull out and down when I'm out. Process reverses when pulling back in. Use the remote. Pay attention during the transition.

[1] - https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...f-defense/274723-fringe-transition-areas.html

Top Bottom