• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Removing unconstitutional laws that limit executive power supports framers intent of separation of powers.

It's congressional over reach. Removing it is not presidential over reach

In terms of post-New Deal legislation, I do not find that limitation on our military to be unconstitutional. Anachronistic, perhaps, but not unconstitutional. It furthers the constitutional exclusion of military people from the civilian leadership of the military.

Now, please don't take that as a knock against the suggested appointee(s). I do not believe a coup is imminent (or even on the horizon). Rather, this particular statute section (10 USC 113 for those playing along at home) seems reasonable to me.

Plus, keep in mind that Congress can amend the law (they previously reduced it from 10 to 7 years) or can repeal the provision altogether. A little patience goes a long way.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    wrong, they vote on the appointment, but cannot pass laws to put qualifications on who can be appointed

Maybe I misunderstood. Where is this being suggested?
    Edit: actually, if you're saying what I think you're saying, I would also say that Congress's action is constitutional.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I don't have time to digest that entire article but did skim it and I'll have to say, I tend to agree with the author. I heard a comment the other day that might also fit here: Trump's critics take him literally and his supporters take him seriously. Add to that the speed at which he can change and redirect the various hysterias, this author might just be on to something.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Well that also gives Republicans more options now than they had. Who follows Mitch McConnell? And what could he say anyway? Who doesn't follow Trump?

I don't technically follow him but I can count on every other tweet he sends being promoted or responded to by someone I do follow. So for all intents and purposes... You're right though, if other politicians start shooting from the hip with regards to social media they could get a lot more attention.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't have time to digest that entire article but did skim it and I'll have to say, I tend to agree with the author. I heard a comment the other day that might also fit here: Trump's critics take him literally and his supporters take him seriously. Add to that the speed at which he can change and redirect the various hysterias, this author might just be on to something.

He re-directs via twitter. A guy the other night pointed out that when a story breaks that says something unflattering about him, he almost immediately attacks them, personally (an more importantly without any proof), on twitter. The Boeing tweet...oh wait, now the Carrier tweet, are the most recent examples.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Maybe I misunderstood. Where is this being suggested?
    Edit: actually, if you're saying what I think you're saying, I would also say that Congress's action is constitutional.

cogress passed a law stating president cannot appoint a military person to sec defense within 7 years of service. Constitution says it's the president's choice of whom to appoint, the senate gets to advise and consent. It doesn't say he can choose from a list of people congress accepts, which is the same as congress passing a law excluding certain people from consideration

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yeah, it was dumb. Played right in the hands of the Democrats so they can further the narrative about the mean old rubes. But the Dems have the press. They can play the other side of the game in a much different way with more options than the Republicans had.

Republicans were going to be blamed by the Democrats and media regardless so they might as well have done the right thing and stuck with it. As for the Democrats' empty threats to shut down the government, call the bluff. The one thing the Democrats absolutely can not afford to do is shut down the government and have a majority of people figure out that they can get along just fine without constant government involvement.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think she has somewhat above average IQ. I'm using the Forest Gump interpretation. "Imbecile is as imbecile does"

But yeah, "opportunist" works too. I'm not sure she could find something self-motivating enough in the VA to make her accidentally fix it.

Perhaps you can tell I don't think very highly of Mrs. Palin. And I don't even watch Saturday Night Live.
    I think Trump is one of the smartest presidents we've had in a long long time. Most politicians are lazy ****s that rely on staff to inform them. That's why our govt is so ****ed.
    If I was voting on a bill that affected people's lives and my name was on it for passage Or nay, then I would study the **** out of what I was voting for and I would read it. Or at least know what was in it. I know some bills can be thousands of pages.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Republicans were going to be blamed by the Democrats and media regardless so they might as well have done the right thing and stuck with it. As for the Democrats' empty threats to shut down the government, call the bluff. The one thing the Democrats absolutely can not afford to do is shut down the government and have a majority of people figure out that they can get along just fine without constant government involvement.

They never had a plan. At least not one that is recognizable by outsiders as a plan. I think they were just winging it hoping Obama would cave in. You just don't play games like that unless you have contingencies for all the possible outcomes. They obviously didn't. Obama called their bluff because he's the one who had nothing to lose in public opinion. It was stupid. Purely stupid to even try knowing they would fail. They had to have known. Hell, I knew it.

I think Trump is one of the smartest presidents we've had in a long long time. Most politicians are lazy ****s that rely on staff to inform them. That's why our govt is so ****ed.
    If I was voting on a bill that affected people's lives and my name was on it for passage Or nay, then I would study the **** out of what I was voting for and I would read it. Or at least know what was in it. I know some bills can be thousands of pages.

I think Trump's IQ is pretty average. He's managed to leverage what he has pretty well though. Oh, and talking about lazy, didn't we used to criticize Obama for skipping security briefings at this stage?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I don't. I think he had the good luck to be born into a family with substantial means. He's not a self-made man, in the traditional sense, like a Warren Buffet. The old mantra, it takes money to make money is exhibited fully in Trump. Now I will say, he's a fantastic entertainer. He probably could've made it in Hollywood. But at the end of the day, he appears, to me, to be more of a snake oil salesman, who had the dumb luck being in the right place, at the right time.

...Oh, and he's smarter than the generals too.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ^^ right, because the kids of the wealthy are usually so successful...

Are they? They just are presented with more opportunities, of which many take advantage of. You disagree that kids from ridiculously rich kids have a leg up on the competition?

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    As a banker I dealt with many folks who were very successful in creating a business. Sometimes their kids also did well, sometimes not. I've come across many who would be shoveling slag for a living had it not been for the circumstances of their birth. Tough to have a business remain successful under the next generation.

We had an inside joke: "How do you make a million? Start with ten million."

Trump is nobody's fool

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In my experience, it is the third generation that starts having issues. Somewhat rare to have a family business that survives past that.

Trump turned a few million into at least a few hundred million. He absolutely deserves credit for that. And he's negotiated the snot out of some big money banks and other lenders. That's not easy. I'll give him credit for that all day long.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In my experience, it is the third generation that starts having issues. Somewhat rare to have a family business that survives past that.

Trump turned a few million into at least a few hundred million. He absolutely deserves credit for that. And he's negotiated the snot out of some big money banks and other lenders. That's not easy. I'll give him credit for that all day long.

Give or take several bankrupt businesses.

Top Bottom