printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Because everybody else uses labels?

Not a good enough reason. Doing something wrong just because everyone else is? It furthers divisions.
    If people perceive each other differently via labels they never come together.
    You spent time in Germany as a kid right with your dad in the military? You are arguably more German than me.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wiki..... Haitian African American?
    American born to Haitian parents doesn't sound too African to me. These labels can get very confusing.

What? The Wikipedia article has her identified as Haitian American. Of course, since Haiti is 95% black, isn't African implied?

Funny, that was a topic of conversation just the other day. I didn't know she was Haitian-American

Born here.... Sounds like good old fashioned American-American. Why the labels? Give this stuff a rest already.

The Haitian thing can be a VERY sensitive subject. A good friend of mine's wife is black, born in the USA to Haitian parents. She strongly rejects the African-American label and is proud of her Haitian heritage. But, not in a hyphenation-worthy way.

It stems from the slavery issue. (As if that's a surprise.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Revolution

VERY different experience.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not a good enough reason. Doing something wrong just because everyone else is? It furthers divisions.
    If people perceive each other differently via labels they never come together.
    You spent time in Germany as a kid right with your dad in the military? You are arguably more German than me.

You know what, as since black-Americans got into this party late, we'll let everybody else dispense of the practice first, and then I'll be the first to rally against our use.
    ...oh, and one other thing. Since in my household there have only ever been two flags flown, Old Glory and the U.S. Army Flag, and since we're all "American-Americans" I propose that unless one is a foreign national of a particular country, it should be considered bad taste to fly the standard of a foreign country....and no bumper stickers or license plates too.

...and since there probably hasn't been an actual Irish person on a Notre Dame sports team in the past 70 years, I also think it's inappropriate to use the name "Fighting Irish," and suggest it be changed to either "Don't Tread on Me..." or "Put a Foot in Your A$%..." Americans.

I can totally get behind that. Let's get it done!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You know what, as since black-Americans got into this party late, we'll let everybody else dispense of the practice first, and then I'll be the first to rally against our use.
    ...oh, and one other thing. Since in my household there have only ever been two flags flown, Old Glory and the U.S. Army Flag, and since we're all "American-Americans" I propose that unless one is a foreign national of a particular country, it should be considered bad taste to fly the standard of a foreign country....and no bumper stickers or license plates too.

...and since there probably hasn't been an actual Irish person on a Notre Dame sports team in the past 70 years, I also think it's inappropriate to use the name "Fighting Irish," and suggest it be changed to either "Don't Tread on Me..." or "Put a Foot in Your A$%..." Americans.

I can totally get behind that. Let's get it done!

I don't have a problem with any of that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As a country, the labels don't work. They are divisive.
    Also, WHY is this just an American phenomenon?

Because other countries/societies are less sensitive about race/national heritage. The French, for instance, are quite in-your-face about it and even have a disparaging term for French people born in Africa, even if they are "white."

Of course, America is somewhat unique in terms of history of slavery, the volume of the slave industry, and its impact on the development of our country.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Haitian thing can be a VERY sensitive subject. A good friend of mine's wife is black, born in the USA to Haitian parents. She strongly rejects the African-American label and is proud of her Haitian heritage. But, not in a hyphenation-worthy way.

It stems from the slavery issue. (As if that's a surprise.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Revolution

VERY different experience.

Extremely common. It's a view held by Jamaicans, other Caribbean peoples, and Africans, as well.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Because other countries/societies are less sensitive about race/national heritage. The French, for instance, are quite in-your-face about it and even have a disparaging term for French people born in Africa, even if they are "white."

Of course, America is somewhat unique in terms of history of slavery, the volume of the slave industry, and its impact on the development of our country.

Right, and the French don't have a problem with a national identity via race either do they?
    I don't think your race matters, if you are French, you are French. Hopefully Sylvain can chime in on this.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Right, and the French don't have a problem with a national identity via race either do they?
    I don't think your race matters, if you are French, you are French. Hopefully Sylvain can chime in on this.

Well, the French-French don't have a problem with national identity, in my experience. They also don't like the Quebecois claiming it. :D

France is having racial issues, but it is because they don't really have a history of assimilation. I guess if we were to draw comparisons, racial intolerance is at the core of US and French issues. But, that's like saying "hate" is at the core of "terrorism."

Ok. Fine. Now what do we do about it?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I imagine that that stems from the relatively low number of blacks that are in France, and their fairly recent entry into the country in large numbers. Essentially they've never been a potential threat, or at least a threat that couldn't be taken care of relatively swiftly. Conversely Blacks in American have comparatively always been here, and always in large numbers. To maintain the status quo, throughout most of America's history, measures were put into place to suppress the political and economic power Blacks had the ability to exert. Obvious that held true, until very, very recently.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I imagine that that stems from the relatively low number of blacks that are in France, and their fairly recent entry into the country in large numbers. Essentially they've never been a potential threat, or at least a threat that couldn't be taken care of relatively swiftly. Conversely Blacks in American have comparatively always been here, and always in large numbers. To maintain the status quo, throughout most of America's history, measures were put into place to suppress the political and economic power Blacks had the ability to exert. Obvious that held true, until very, very recently.

Ouch.

Francophone Africa ring any bells? :D

Had a longer post written out, but this is too tangential to Trump for this thread. I'll wait for the next opportunity.

Plus, the current French racial issues are more about "arabs."

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ouch.

Francophone Africa ring any bells? :D

Had a longer post written out, but this is too tangential to Trump for this thread. I'll wait for the next opportunity.

Plus, the current French racial issues are more about "arabs."

You mean the ones that are refusing to assimilate into French society and demanding their own society within France? Seem like a correlation is made.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You mean the ones that are refusing to assimilate into French society and demanding their own society within France? Seem like a correlation is made.

[sigh]

What are we talking about? The conversation shifted, and I don't want to address what I think we're talking about when it isn't what we're talking about.

French society has not assimilated any other society (according to the French-French) since Charlemagne... and maybe even before that. What's more, in my experience, they wear their differences - and prejudices - on their sleeve for all to see. It is a completely different attitude and structure than American society.

Superficially, it is about race. You could say the similarity is... skin deep. :D

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Ok Ok, the French are *******s. I think we can agree on that...... What about England?

The French believed that if you adopted the French Culture, you could join them (They never figured out why the ignorant natives didn't want French culture). They actually had plans to incorporate SE Asia and Algeria into the Republic.

The English were very racist. They didn't care one lick about culture. If you weren't white, you weren't good enough.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom