• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Going back to DD's point about not alerting suspected terrorists that they are suspected terrorists... has anyone stopped to consider that not passing NICS will provide such an alert.

Apparently, the islamofascist lone wolves here in the US passed the current checks. It is a fair assumption that the next one will similarly not have a criminal conviction or otherwise be an improper person. They know that. So, they go in to buy a firearm, knowing they should pass. Then they don't. Seems to me, that will get them thinking that Big Brother is watching.

By the way, I know a guy (a Canadian) who has a generic name (not exactly "John Smith", but pretty close) who is white, middle age, Protestant (but not particularly religious) and works in a scientific field for the Canadian government. Back in the mid-2000s, he was somehow put on the US no-fly list. Was supposed to come to a conference down here, but they denied him a ticket, so he had to drive.

Haven't talked to him in years, but that always stuck with me - how unreliable this kind of list is. He speculated that a suspected terrorist must have had an alias that was the same as his name. Didn't matter that he's passed background checks (nothing super secret, just normal .gov checks), etc., he still couldn't fly because his name was on the list.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm kinda surprised that no one (other than GPIA) has said anything about him calling soldiers in the ME thieves.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm kinda surprised that no one (other than GPIA) has said anything about him calling soldiers in the ME thieves.

On the scale of Trump's controversial statements, that seems pretty mild. It is kinda like pointillism. Up close, it is just a dot. You have to step back to get an idea of how it all fits together.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ya I get your guyses points BUT-

Some of the jobs I've had was to "Watch" a suspected target without them knowing as to catch them in the act. To tip them off before that would be stupid. Knowing how everyone feels about these government "Secret Lists", how do you expect them to work?

What? Mail the suspect a postcard to warn them that we're watching?

Just clarifying, do we want to catch bad guys or help bad guys.

What are you guys really apposed to in all this? :dunno:

What's your real concern? That realizing they're being watched will deter them from action?
    Is the concern that if they know they're being watched they'll be more careful? More creative? when they are turned down trying to buy an AR or Ammonium Nitrate.

If the choice is keeping someone who's on the edge from committing a criminal act from it or catching them in the process I'd rather the former.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If the choice is keeping someone who's on the edge from committing a criminal act or catching them in the process I'd rather the former.
    An ounce of security is worth a pound of freedom or something like that? :D

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Huh? I guess I'll have to look for that post.

"Iraq, crooked as hell. How about bringing baskets of money? Millions and millions of dollars and handing it out? I want to know, who are the soldiers that had that job because I think they're living very well right now, whoever they may be," he said.
    Trump references soldiers stealing money in wake of Iraq War - CNNPolitics.com

I heard his statement was clarified to mean Iraqi soldiers.

It was, but it's difficult to buy into that being what he meant. His spokespeople, understand how difficult a job it is to keep up with his unflattering comments, but they do their best at damage control.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It was, but it's difficult to buy into that being what he meant. His spokespeople, understand how difficult a job it is to keep up with his unflattering comments, but they do their best at damage control.
    Sounds like like a typical Trumpism. Blame a whoe group for the actions of a few.

I kinda wonder if Trump just has a language problem. I know a lot of people who speak colloquially in absolute terms. "You never eat anything healthy" doesn't actually mean "never" to the audience, it's understood to mean not often enough. With Trump, I don't know. I don't know if he actually believes the stuff he says, or is just using more in a colloquial sense, where the people with whom he normally comminicates would understand what he means by it. I don't think he's stupid. Surely he must understand that not all in a group believe or act the same way. Or, maybe he is exactly as bigoted about everything as he sounds.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sounds like like a typical Trumpism. Blame a whoe group for the actions of a few.

I kinda wonder if Trump just has a language problem. I know a lot of people who speak colloquially in absolute terms. "You never eat anything healthy" doesn't actually mean "never" to the audience, it's understood to mean not often enough. With Trump, I don't know. I don't know if he actually believes the stuff he says, or is just using more in a colloquial sense, where the people with whom he normally comminicates would understand what he means by it. I don't think he's stupid. Surely he must understand that not all in a group believe or act the same way. Or, maybe he is exactly as bigoted about everything as he sounds.

Honestly, I think he just likes to hear himself talk, and doesn't really care about the consequences.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

When you constantly talk off the cuff, without ever proof reading yourself, you're going to say a lot of seemingly stupid things that will require clarification.

I know I couldn't keep things this coherent speaking to a live audience day in day out with the eyes of the world analyzing every word with a microscope.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When you constantly talk off the cuff, without ever proof reading yourself, you're going to say a lot of seemingly stupid things that will require clarification.

I know I couldn't keep things this coherent speaking to a live audience day in day out with the eyes of the world analyzing every word with a microscope.

Contemporaneous speaking is a skill. Used to be part of Speech Class, back when schools had Speech Classes (man, I'm old - also remember when Typrewriting/Keyboarding was a class).

It takes practice, and there are some tricks/strategies to it, but you could get at least as good as Trump in a couple weeks. Someone of Trump's age, education, and professional experience, should be better at it than how he does it.

Plus, when you take into account he's interviewing for perhaps the most important position in the world, this is a skill that should matter.

Of course, we can all judge independently how important it is.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Contemporaneous speaking is a skill. Used to be part of Speech Class, back when schools had Speech Classes (man, I'm old - also remember when Typrewriting/Keyboarding was a class).

It takes practice, and there are some tricks/strategies to it, but you could get at least as good as Trump in a couple weeks. Someone of Trump's age, education, and professional experience, should be better at it than how he does it.

Plus, when you take into account he's interviewing for perhaps the most important position in the world, this is a skill that should matter.

Of course, we can all judge independently how important it is.

I had speech class (public speaking) back in the day. Do high schools not do that anymore?

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I had speech class (public speaking) back in the day. Do high schools not do that anymore?

At my undergrad everyone (even the poor engineers) had to take two semesters of speech. It was a good skill to learn.

Businessmen are normally really good at speaking in public, it makes me wonder how he ever closed a deal or if he has just gotten that much worse as he aged (something medical).

And crap. I posted in this thread of crap. Dang it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    At my undergrad everyone (even the poor engineers) had to take two semesters of speech. It was a good skill to learn.

Businessmen are normally really good at speaking in public, it makes me wonder how he ever closed a deal or if he has just gotten that much worse as he aged (something medical).

And crap. I posted in this thread of crap. Dang it.

I had public speaking in high school and college. I did okay writing speeches, not always that well at delivering. Impromptu was the worst. Not much time to gather my thoughts. Rambled a lot. etcetera.

Type A's are generally good public speakers as far as delivery. Content, well that depends on other factors. Trump is pretty good at delivery. He looks very comfortable speaking in front of large crowds. Probably more than any of the other candidates. But he rambles every random thought that goes through his mind. His speeches are usually incoherent, and he can't pass up an opportunity to boast on himself.

The first time I heard him speak politically was Alabama in mid to late summer last year. I think it didn't really matter what he said. He was so vague on things, I think people just filled in between the lines with what they wanted him to say.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My college speech teacher said I had a soothing tone that made people feel comfortable and came across as believable. But said I had to be careful as I could put people to sleep with my soothing tones... I took that to mean I was boring...

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    My college speech teacher said I had a soothing tone that made people feel comfortable and came across as believable. But said I had to be careful as I could put people to sleep with my soothing tones... I took that to mean I was boring...

It really meant that you have game but need to know when to stop talking.......just my thought

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom