• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm not a Trump fan. Sheriff Joe may have been an a$$. But I sleep better at night knowing an 85 year old man with a contempt of court record is roaming the streets than I do thinking about Obama's 1,927 pardons/clemencies given to major drug dealers who are now seeking a way to make a living.

Let's stick to facts.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I love how the phony liberals, including McCain, are so outraged over this. Where were they when Clinton pardoned Marc Rich?

As afar as McCain goes, for me, this was the last straw. Please Arizona, retire this RINO.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I love how the phony liberals, including McCain, are so outraged over this. Where were they when Clinton pardoned Marc Rich?

As afar as McCain goes, for me, this was the last straw. Please Arizona, retire this RINO.

The Republicans were raising hell but no one was broadcasting their displeasure except for Fox occasionally.
    It wasn't a large enough event to sell advertising so the media kinda skipped over it.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Let's stick to facts.

Don't know what you are referring to. Wikipedia-By the end of his presidency on January 20, 2017, Barack Obama had exercised his constitutional power to grant executive clemency—that is, "pardon, commutation of sentence, remission of fine or restitution, and reprieve"[SUP][1][/SUP]—to 1,927 individuals convicted of federal crimes. Of the acts of clemency, 1,715 were commutations (including 504 life sentences) and 212 were pardons.[SUP][2][/SUP] Most individuals granted executive clemency by Obama had been convicted on drug charges,[SUP][3][/SUP] and had received lengthy and sometimes mandatory sentences at the height of the War on Drugs.[SUP][4][/SUP]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I know it is bad to feel this way. It can encourage things that are actually bad... having said that, anything that gets the leftists panties this wadded up, I am okay with as it gives me great entertainment...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Don't know what you are referring to. Wikipedia-By the end of his presidency on January 20, 2017, Barack Obama had exercised his constitutional power to grant executive clemency—that is, "pardon, commutation of sentence, remission of fine or restitution, and reprieve"[SUP][1][/SUP]—to 1,927 individuals convicted of federal crimes. Of the acts of clemency, 1,715 were commutations (including 504 life sentences) and 212 were pardons.[SUP][2][/SUP] Most individuals granted executive clemency by Obama had been convicted on drug charges,[SUP][3][/SUP] and had received lengthy and sometimes mandatory sentences at the height of the War on Drugs.[SUP][4][/SUP]

You said "Obama's 1,927 pardons/clemencies given to major drug dealers," which states, as fact, that ALL of Obama's pardon's and clemencies were given to major drug dealers. That simply isn't true.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    You said "Obama's 1,927 pardons/clemencies given to major drug dealers," which states, as fact, that ALL of Obama's pardon's and clemencies were given to major drug dealers. That simply isn't true.

Sorry, I'll correct that. Most individuals granted executive clemency by Obama had been convicted on drug charges,

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I know it is bad to feel this way. It can encourage things that are actually bad... having said that, anything that gets the leftists panties this wadded up, I am okay with as it gives me great entertainment...

I'm with you. I've started to make liberal head exploding sounds now when i read something cool Trump does. It makes it so much better with sound effects

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sorry, I'll correct that. Most individuals granted executive clemency by Obama had been convicted on drug charges,

Thank you. It's a significant difference than saying that they were ALL MAJOR DRUG DEALERS.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    "Major drug dealers" down to "convicted on drug charges". Quite a difference, amigo.

Since these persons were convicted on Federal drug charges and received sentences long enough for Obama to pardon them I'm guessing they weren't a kid selling an ounce of pot. Usually a Federal conviction involves being part of an interstate organization that moves significant quantities of drugs. But my point was that one old man being pardoned presents less threat to society than a significant number (whatever that number is) of drug dealers being released into society.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Since these persons were convicted on Federal drug charges and received sentences long enough for Obama to pardon them I'm guessing they weren't a kid selling an ounce of pot. Usually a Federal conviction involves being part of an interstate organization that moves significant quantities of drugs. But my point was that one old man being pardoned presents less threat to society than a significant number (whatever that number is) of drug dealers being released into society.

Big Picture, your missing it.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

You are aware of the differences in sentencing guidelines for different drugs? Have you bothered to look at any/some of the cases? Are you aware that Obama pardoned fewer than President Reagan? And Ford. And Eisenhower. And Nixon. Since you mention "guessing", my conclusion would be that you've thrown out something to see if it would stay aloft through the hot air of others.

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Warrant? Absolutely different, it is a court order requiring any law enforcement officer to take into custody.

The contempt conviction decision written by judge Bolton neither discusses, nor explores, how many of the 174 illegal aliens detained by MCSO after the injunction was issued had warrants, deportation orders and/or detainers issued against them as a reason, beyond merely being present illegally, for being detained.

Note that of the 174 detained, 171 were taken into custody by ICE under Obama's Priority Enforcement program, strongly indicating that they were convicted felons or fugitives with warrants against them. It is also very strong evidence that they were not detained "based only on knowledge or reasonable belief, without more, that the person is unlawfully present ". Obama's ICE was not taking "mere" illegals at that time, and issued a press release immediately after the injunction that they definitely would not take them from Joe.

And, the other three, there is nothing in the decision indicating that they were merely "unlawfully present", only that ICE did not accept them.

Did MCSO detain illegal aliens based only upon unlawful presence and nothing more, in violation of the injunction? There is nothing in the decision indicating they did, in fact the decision presents very strong evidence (ICE took custody) that the overwhelming majority (171 of the 174) had a warrant, deportation order or detainer against them, and that is more than merely present by any rational standard.

Contempt requires two parts... one, that Arpaio violated the order, and two that he did so purposefully. While his political grandstanding (just prior to the 2012 election, btw) that he was going to do what he had always done could be used to prove the second part (purposefulness), there are no facts presented that he actually violated the order. That is a pretty basic and glaring hole for a criminal charge, even a misdemeanor one.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The contempt conviction decision written by judge Bolton neither discusses, nor explores, how many of the 174 illegal aliens detained by MCSO after the injunction was issued had warrants, deportation orders and/or detainers issued against them as a reason, beyond merely being present illegally, for being detained.

Note that of the 174 detained, 171 were taken into custody by ICE under Obama's Priority Enforcement program, strongly indicating that they were convicted felons or fugitives with warrants against them. It is also very strong evidence that they were not detained "based only on knowledge or reasonable belief, without more, that the person is unlawfully present ". Obama's ICE was not taking "mere" illegals at that time, and issued a press release immediately after the injunction that they definitely would not take them from Joe.

And, the other three, there is nothing in the decision indicating that they were merely "unlawfully present", only that ICE did not accept them.

Did MCSO detain illegal aliens based only upon unlawful presence and nothing more, in violation of the injunction? There is nothing in the decision indicating they did, in fact the decision presents very strong evidence (ICE took custody) that the overwhelming majority (171 of the 174) had a warrant, deportation order or detainer against them, and that is more than merely present by any rational standard.

Contempt requires two parts... one, that Arpaio violated the order, and two that he did so purposefully. While his political grandstanding (just prior to the 2012 election, btw) that he was going to do what he had always done could be used to prove the second part (purposefulness), there are no facts presented that he actually violated the order. That is a pretty basic and glaring hole for a criminal charge, even a misdemeanor one.

Trial on the contempt charge already happened, and he already lost. I'm not entirely certain why you are fascinated with trying to relitigate it, he had a really good legal counsel and plenty of money for his defense.

That said, directing a subordinate to violate a court order is contempt just the same as if you violate the order itself. Your fixation on the 174 is not particularly relevant to whether or not he directed his deputies to violate the order. He openly stated that he was doing so, the contempt is complete at that point regardless of what happens after.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    You are aware of the differences in sentencing guidelines for different drugs? Have you bothered to look at any/some of the cases? Are you aware that Obama pardoned fewer than President Reagan? And Ford. And Eisenhower. And Nixon. Since you mention "guessing", my conclusion would be that you've thrown out something to see if it would stay aloft through the hot air of others.

Sorry, I wasn't differentiating between pardons and commutations because wikipedia didn't for any other President than Obama. So I went to the DOJ website for a breakdown. You are correct that Obama pardoned fewer than those Presidents. His commutations however are significantly higher.

Eisenhower pardons- 1110, commutations-47, Total- 1157
    Nixon pardons-863, commutations-60, Total- 923
    Ford pardons-382, commutations-22, Total- 404
    Reagan pardons-393, commutations- 13, Total- 406
    Obama pardons-212, commutations-1715, Total- 1927

I think this gives a better comparison than strictly using the term pardon.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom