• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Kut post #221- "Let's stick to facts." Kinda stings doesn't it.

I just reviewed the Wikipedia entry for the county. They call it a 'Republican Stronghold'. Looking at current office holders and the election history, I'd say Kut was correct in his claim. I don't know where you got your info from. How would you define "heavily Republican"? Where are your citations?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I just reviewed the Wikipedia entry for the county. They call it a 'Republican Stronghold'. Looking at current office holders and the election history, I'd say Kut was correct in his claim. I don't know where you got your info from. How would you define "heavily Republican"? Where are your citations?

Ah Post #411

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah. I saw it. So what? Look at the office holders. Look at the history. If one wishes to make any conclusion surrounding a 47 to 45 result, one could only say that 47 is larger than 45 and continues to represent a republican majority in a county that has been that way for many decades.

This is nickel and dime stuff though. Why is anyone beating up Kut on this? Sounds to me like the dog pound is being ignored so any point is worth beating to a fine powder.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut post #221- "Let's stick to facts." Kinda stings doesn't it.

Not so much:
    The county leans heavily Republican and the party’s voters more reliably show up at the polls
    Will it be 'My Way' or highway for Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio?

Arpaio suffered a cruel irony on election night: He lost the heavily Republican Maricopa County by nearly 13 percentage points, while Trump — who shares similar views on immigration as Arpaio — won by more than 3 percentage points.
    With Trump pardon, Arpaio again wiggles out of legal trouble

In the 2012 presidential primary, there were 200 places for voters to cast ballots in the county, which is heavily Republican.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/phoeni...sidential-primary-blame-voters-election-2016/

I imagine if I had said "votes heavily Republican," you'd have your gotcha moment.... lucky for me I didn't.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    True but the gap is narrowing...I was surprised it was this close knowing that history...

It must be the influx of voters to Arizona from south of the border....My wife says the minute her parents immigrated here they were told to vote Democrat and all of her family and friends vote that way...Her and her cousin Marcello have both strayed off the Democratic Party path, my wife over guns and abortion.....They both this past year received concerned phone calls from family members about their Trump support lol....My wife's brother went full blown "He's a Nazi, he's a creep, he's dumb" etc....on us...

It was a hoot.....Best election cycle ever....Now they are coming for Thanksgiving.....

Yikes!!!!!!!!

Is it really necessary to discuss politics then?

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Maricopa County is heavily Republican, and easily went to Trump. So on the same day that Trump was overwhelmingly elected, the locals ousted Arpaio by just shy of 200K votes. Regardless of what we say, the people who he served, and whom elected Trump obviously had issues with how he did business.

I've seen all the cheering. I lived in Phoenix in the mid-1980's for a short time. Before that I spent grades 5-12 there followed by a BS from ASU in the 1960's - 1970's. Still know many folks there, particularly from H.S. Joe Arpaio was boorish buffoon, the MCSO had long been a cirus sideshow, and the voters finally got sick and tired of him. Those who sit thousands of miles away only saw the tent city, pink underwear and his "radio station" plus all his gloating over deporting illegals, the stuff that made the national headlines.

What they didn't see:
    Arpaio cost Maricopa County many tens of millions over his tenure in settlements for false arrest, false imprisonment, excessive force, and the list just goes on. He bulldozed local politicians in Maricopa County, including the county prosecutor. Sheriffs are elected and as such, they're a lot harder to push back on than a police chief. Here in Indiana it takes a County Coroner to arrest one. In Arizona they damn near have impunity as well. He was the big playground bully and his deputies were out of control half the time.

Example:
    One of his "raids" was conducted to serve a failure to appear bench warrant for two minor traffic infractions. Most agencies would simply wait until you were stopped for something else and then scoop you up. For whatever reason, Arpaio's boys decided they wanted to play with their toys. MCSO used their APC (armored personnel carrier), fired multiple tear gas and flash grenades into both floors of a $250k home, ignited on fire, blocked the fire department from responding, drove the man's small dog back inside laughing while the dog was shrieking from being burned alive, and waited until the home was no more than smoldering ash. It destroyed the home and everything inside it. The icing on the cake was when they backed up the APC to turn it around to leave, they completely drove over a neighbor's car flattening it to no more than two feet tall. That shock and awe spectacle cost the county over $10M when it was over. This is just one incident. There were all manner of incidents with evidence planting and tampering to bring criminal charges against anyone who criticized him, including investigative reporters, who spent enormous sums in legal fees getting crawling out from under the stuff. He knew exactly how to game the system to ensure qualified immunity, even though it occasionally didn't work.

The man thought he could bulldoze a Federal District Court judge and give her the proverbial finger by completely ignoring her court order. No motion to reconsider. No motion to correct error. No motion for relief. No appeal. He acted as if it didn't exist. Even the attorneys here will tell you that you just do NOT do that. It's called criminal contempt. Judges get mightily pissed off when you willfully and very deliberately ignore a court order, and they can inflict their wrath with very nearly 100% impunity. The merits of said order no longer matter. The only thing that matters at that point is the fact you disobeyed it. He could have filed any manner of motions or an appeal as the appropriate remedy, and that's what he should have done. Instead, he hog ties himself with the contempt citation and whatever opportunity for an appropriate remedy vaporizes. He discovered he couldn't bulldoze over a federal judge like he could city and county judges. It was an act of complete lunacy.

Folks who don't know all that went on during his tenure as sheriff wonder why a county that voted so very heavily for Trump, also sacked Arpaio just as heavily. Would YOU want a sheriff like that in YOUR county? I don't think so. I sure as hell wouldn't.

This pardon will eventually bite Trump in the Rump. It was a bad decision.

John

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I've seen all the cheering. I lived in Phoenix in the mid-1980's for a short time. Before that I spent grades 5-12 there followed by a BS from ASU in the 1960's - 1970's. Still know many folks there, particularly from H.S. Joe Arpaio was boorish buffoon, the MCSO had long been a cirus sideshow, and the voters finally got sick and tired of him. Those who sit thousands of miles away only saw the tent city, pink underwear and his "radio station" plus all his gloating over deporting illegals, the stuff that made the national headlines.

What they didn't see:
    Arpaio cost Maricopa County many tens of millions over his tenure in settlements for false arrest, false imprisonment, excessive force, and the list just goes on. He bulldozed local politicians in Maricopa County, including the county prosecutor. Sheriffs are elected and as such, they're a lot harder to push back on than a police chief. Here in Indiana it takes a County Coroner to arrest one. In Arizona they damn near have impunity as well. He was the big playground bully and his deputies were out of control half the time.

Example:
    One of his "raids" was conducted to serve a failure to appear bench warrant for two minor traffic infractions. Most agencies would simply wait until you were stopped for something else and then scoop you up. For whatever reason, Arpaio's boys decided they wanted to play with their toys. MCSO used their APC (armored personnel carrier), fired multiple tear gas and flash grenades into both floors of a $250k home, ignited on fire, blocked the fire department from responding, drove the man's small dog back inside laughing while the dog was shrieking from being burned alive, and waited until the home was no more than smoldering ash. It destroyed the home and everything inside it. The icing on the cake was when they backed up the APC to turn it around to leave, they completely drove over a neighbor's car flattening it to no more than two feet tall. That shock and awe spectacle cost the county over $10M when it was over. This is just one incident. There were all manner of incidents with evidence planting and tampering to bring criminal charges against anyone who criticized him, including investigative reporters, who spent enormous sums in legal fees getting crawling out from under the stuff. He knew exactly how to game the system to ensure qualified immunity, even though it occasionally didn't work.

The man thought he could bulldoze a Federal District Court judge and give her the proverbial finger by completely ignoring her court order. No motion to reconsider. No motion to correct error. No motion for relief. No appeal. He acted as if it didn't exist. Even the attorneys here will tell you that you just do NOT do that. It's called criminal contempt. Judges get mightily pissed off when you willfully and very deliberately ignore a court order, and they can inflict their wrath with very nearly 100% impunity. The merits of said order no longer matter. The only thing that matters at that point is the fact you disobeyed it. He could have filed any manner of motions or an appeal as the appropriate remedy, and that's what he should have done. Instead, he hog ties himself with the contempt citation and whatever opportunity for an appropriate remedy vaporizes. He discovered he couldn't bulldoze over a federal judge like he could city and county judges. It was an act of complete lunacy.

Folks who don't know all that went on during his tenure as sheriff wonder why a county that voted so very heavily for Trump, also sacked Arpaio just as heavily. Would YOU want a sheriff like that in YOUR county? I don't think so. I sure as hell wouldn't.

This pardon will eventually bite Trump in the Rump. It was a bad decision.

John

I don't know about the rest of your post, but the part I highlighted in red is factually incorrect. Arapio's attorneys DID APPEAL the December 2011 temporary injunction issued by Judge Snow (and the later permanent one as well). The 9th circuit ruled that injunction would stand because it was so narrow, that it only forbid MCSO from detaining individuals SOLELY for being in the country unlawfully, nothing more.

I read Judge Bolton's conviction decision... it did not present evidence of a single individual detained for solely those circumstances, instead "convicting" him based upon political speech. In fact, 171 of the 174 MCSO detained had enough "more" that Obama's ICE took them into custody under the Priority Apprehension program.

He may very well be every bit the a**hole and buffoon you portray, I have no idea. But, I do believe in the rule of law and justice blind to whether before them is an a**hole or not, just whether they are guilty or not. In this case, justice peeked from behind the blindfold and laid much more than a thumb on the scale. Not good.

ETA: The link to the 9th Circuit's decision on the appeal:

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2012/10/01/12-15098.pdf

Last edited:
    Top Bottom