Not open for further replies.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I found this. It does not specify opt in or opt out as part of the process. Where are you finding it?

House Bill 1270, Printer’s No. 1350 prohibits private organizations or individuals from
    sending an application for an absentee or mail-in ballot to an elector by mail or electronic
    means. The bill requires all qualified registered electors to be place on a permanent mail-
    in ballot list. Electors may opt out of this list upon request.

Automatic voter registration is coming to Pennsylvania.

Gov. Josh Shapiro on Tuesday announced that eligible state residents who are receiving new or renewed driver licenses and ID cards will be automatically taken through the voter registration application process unless they opt against it. In the past an eligible voter had to take additional steps to sign up.
    “Pre-checked registration ... encourages people to sleepwalk their way into being registered, potentially without understanding the significance of their actions," state Sen. Cris Dush (R-Jefferson) said in a news release. "It risks turning a solemn duty into a thoughtless action, exploiting the system to catch the unwitting, the uncertain and the unintentional, making a mockery of that solemn duty."

Dush also said he believes Shapiro's move to make the switch without the consent of the Legislature is a violation of the Pennsylvania Constitution.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Apparently this is in the news today. I guess I never paid that close of attention to the 4473 forms before. (Never having been inidicted for anything before, it never crossed my mind).

From what I’m seeing today, it’s not clear if he actually bought or ”received” it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

The debate of whether or not something is a good idea is different than is it prohibited.

The report you cited was not the actual legislation.

The point of the article Mike posted, to me, was the PA governor did not have the authority to change a form used to register voters at the dept of motor vehicles which was allowed by the motor voter law in the 90s from an automatic opt out to an automatic opt in.

My point is the legislation seems to be silent on the form itself. The legislature never specified the form itself rather the legislature left that up to the dept of transportation which is an executive branch under the authority of the governor.

Now I hanenthe opinion that legislatures at the state and national level have ceded too much of their authority to the executive, but once they have I don't see the claim that changing opt out to opt in is any violation of PA state election law while freely admitting I am not an expert in ANY states laws.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Apparently this is in the news today. I guess I never paid that close of attention to the 4473 forms before. (Never having been inidicted for anything before, it never crossed my mind).

From what I’m seeing today, it’s not clear if he actually bought or ”received” it.

Didn't realize until most of the way through the video the the "gun store" was PSA. When they showed Trump their own manufactured guns, the Jackal and Dagger. :cool:

PSA guy also got Trump to say that he would get the ATF brace issue fixed. :dunno:

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Watching them tell Trump how Biden made millions into felons for having a pistol brace. Trump asked what that was all about and as they told him Majorie Greene spoke up that she has one and Trump turns to listen to her. Then said we will take care of that. That’s not a problem. Haven’t seen if he purchased one or not….ATF will probably red flag him…lol.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Watching them tell Trump how Biden made millions into felons for having a pistol brace. Trump asked what that was all about and as they told him Majorie Greene spoke up that she has one and Trump turns to listen to her. Then said we will take care of that. That’s not a problem. Haven’t seen if he purchased one or not….ATF will probably red flag him…lol.

Trump said he wanted to buy the Glock with his face on it. He didn't...

1695672270745.png
    1695672223084.png

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Where is the option to opt out directed by the Pennsylvania legislature?
    Where is the governor changing opt in to opt out provided by the legislature or motor voter?

Overreach is overreach, but he'll get away with it if that same legislature doesn't challenge him on it and no one with 'standing' brings suit

As quiet observer pointed out, the legislature has provided numerous means to register. Why are more needed and automatic ones at that?

I submit it is in order to muddy the waters about who is actually registered as much as possible and also co-opt the identities of people who will be registered but may not even know it or have any intention to vote

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Now I hanenthe opinion that legislatures at the state and national level have ceded too much of their authority to the executive, but once they have I don't see the claim that changing opt out to opt in is any violation of PA state election law while freely admitting I am not an expert in ANY states laws.
    That's not the point. The point is they are violating the Pennsylvania Constitution, which specifies 'who' has the power to make any changes to the registration process

I think it is past time to start making government at all levels acknowledge that constitutions are the highest form of law at the state and federal level

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That's not the point. The point is they are violating the Pennsylvania Constitution, which specifies 'who' has the power to make any changes to the registration process

I think it is past time to start making government at all levels acknowledge that constitutions are the highest form of law at the state and federal level
    In order to change something it must first be codified by the legislature then changed.

All you have to show is where the legislature codified opt out vs opt in.

If all they did was tell dept of transportation to provide for the registration of voters at the DMV then they delegated the process to the dept of transportation.

I have cited the law.

The legislature acted under their authority as granted by the constitution.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would like to hear the Governor explain how it can be done without legislation.

"Democrat Gov. Josh Shapiro is moving to make Pennsylvania one of the automatic voter registration states, saying he can do it without legislation."

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would like to hear the Governor explain how it can be done without legislation.

"Democrat Gov. Josh Shapiro is moving to make Pennsylvania one of the automatic voter registration states, saying he can do it without legislation."

"Shapiro’s press secretary Manuel Bonder said the governor believes he is on firm ground to make what his staffers see as essentially an administrative change in Pennsylvania Department of Transportation operations."

Republican legislators beg to differ.

"The anger could be seen in a missive issued Tuesday by Dush, R-Jefferson County, the chair of the state Senate’s State Government Committee."

Excoriating the process used for the change, Dush said: “Any laws made unilaterally through executive orders – without the full scrutiny and debate that this committee and the legislature are obligated to provide – are the work of tyrants.”

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

"Shapiro’s press secretary Manuel Bonder said the governor believes he is on firm ground to make what his staffers see as essentially an administrative change in Pennsylvania Department of Transportation operations."

"The anger could be seen in a missive issued Tuesday by Dush, R-Jefferson County, the chair of the state Senate’s State Government Committee."

Excoriating the process used for the change, Dush said: “Any laws made unilaterally through executive orders – without the full scrutiny and debate that this committee and the legislature are obligated to provide – are the work of tyrants.”
    Republicans not liking something a Democrat did is not surprising.

He changed a form not a law from every direct source I can find.

I cited the exact wording of the law directly from the PA website.

The legislation specifically says, from my reading, that the dept of transportation was/is responsible for implementation.

I can't find anywhere that the legislation specified the form to be used much less the opt out vs opt in.

Unlike some this isn't a I'm right you're wrong thing for me just show me the legislation defining the form and I will agree he is overriding the legislature.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Then they need to take it to the PA courts.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Republicans not liking something a Democrat did is not surprising.

He changed a form not a law from every direct source I can find.

I cited the exact wording of the law directly from the PA website.

The legislation specifically says, from my reading, that the dept of transportation was/is responsible for implementation.

I can't find anywhere that the legislation specified the form to be used much less the opt out vs opt in.

Unlike some this isn't a I'm right you're wrong thing for me just show me the legislation defining the form and I will agree he is overriding the legislature.
    Just posting the position from both sides in that article. Y'all can continue to tussle over it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom