• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Agreed, but part of being a politician is learning how to walk the line while not pissing off people in the base on matters of principle. Notice I said people in the base, because it’s not a monolith. Individuals with individual principles, given individually derived priorities, make up his base.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Does one have to actually BE a populist to run as one? I would say Trump is very much a member of the "elite".
    I’d say Trump’s wealth makes him elite. An elite person doesn’t have to be an elitist. People with an elite lifestyle can be down to earth, and sympathetic to the struggles of people who aren’t elite. They can also pretend to be just to gain their trust.

An elitist is someone who thinks society should be led exclusively by the elite. So you can see why Elitists would hate populism. Trump acts like he’s not an elitist. So like I said, if he is, he’s not a populist. I seen plenty from him that could call his sense of morality and ethics into question, but I haven’t seen much that would support that he’s an elitist.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I’d say Trump’s wealth makes him elite. A person with elite member [I wasn't aware you knew so much about Trump's 'member'] of the elite doesn’t have to be an elitist. People with an elite lifestyle can be down to earth, and sympathetic to the struggles of people who aren’t elite [Warren Buffett]. They can also pretend to be just to gain their trust.

An elitist is someone who thinks society should be led exclusively by the elite. So you can see why Elitists would hate populism. Trump acts like he’s not an elitist. So like I said, if he is, he’s not a populist. I seen plenty from him that could call his sense of morality and ethics into question, but I haven’t seen much that would support that he’s an elitist.
    Edited to include addenda

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Can you cite what part(s) of the U.S. or Pennsylvania Constitutions would be violated?
    For the record I have been on this horse for several years and it strikes me odd to get this question.

Who does the constitution authorize to “direct” the selection of electoral voters?

The legislature and no one else…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    They are trying to do it again in Pennsylvania, change voting without the legislature. Will ANYONE stop this unconstitutional power grab?

This came into being by the motor voter legislation passed into law back in the 90s, didn't it?

If so. Then whether it's opt in or opt out requires the same ID requirements?

I think so.

Not sure what's unconstitutional about it. Wad motor voter law ever challenged on constitutional grounds? If so what was the outcome?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    For the record I have been on this horse for several years and it strikes me odd to get this question.

Who does the constitution authorize to “direct” the selection of electoral voters?

The legislature and no one else…
    I only saw voter registration stuff in your article and I believe changing the question to be about electoral voters to he a different matter?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The switch might be coming, I hope not.

But ... but ... INGO tells me Trump can't beat Biden in the general

A poll that usually favors Dems showing him up 9 points on Biden must be 'just a fluke'

Or, to be realistic, that poll may have been enlisted to amp the danger of Biden losing to line up support for a substitution at the position of PIC (Puppet in Chief)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    But ... but ... INGO tells me Trump can't beat Biden in the general

A poll that usually favors Dems showing him up 9 points on Biden must be 'just a fluke'

Or, to be realistic, that poll may have been enlisted to amp the danger of Biden losing to line up support for a substitution at the position of PIC (Puppet in Chief)
    Yep. INGO say any R, not just Trump, will lose a close election to any D, not just Biden, because of fraud.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Can you cite what part(s) of the U.S. or Pennsylvania Constitutions would be violated?
    Article VII of the Pennsylvania Constitution is entitled Elections and consists of 14 sections.

Text of Section 1:
    Qualifications of Electors

Every citizen 21 years of age, possessing the following qualifications, shall be entitled to vote at all elections subject, however, to such laws requiring and regulating the registration of electors as the General Assembly may enact. 1. He or she shall have been a citizen of the United States at least one month. 2. He or she shall have resided in the State ninety (90) days immediately preceding the election. 3. He or she shall have resided in the election district where he or she shall offer to vote at least sixty (60) days immediately preceding the election, except that if qualified to vote in an election district prior to removal of residence, he or she may, if a resident of Pennsylvania, vote in the election district from which he or she removed his or her residence within sixty (60) days preceding the election.

The change under discussion has not been enacted by the General assembly, it is an EO by Shapiro, the Dem governor

Notice their constitution doesn't mention ANY power of the governor over how registration is conducted

Edit: Anyone not being deliberately obtuse can see from the context that 'elector' is used to refer to eligible voters, not in the Electoral College sense

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Pretty clear who makes the rules for selecting electors and the courts have consistently ruled that includes the entire process.

“Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors”

Pretty clear to me…

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Article VII of the Pennsylvania Constitution is entitled Elections and consists of 14 sections.

Text of Section 1:

Every citizen 21 years of age, possessing the following qualifications, shall be entitled to vote at all elections subject, however, to such laws requiring and regulating the registration of electors as the General Assembly may enact. 1. He or she shall have been a citizen of the United States at least one month. 2. He or she shall have resided in the State ninety (90) days immediately preceding the election. 3. He or she shall have resided in the election district where he or she shall offer to vote at least sixty (60) days immediately preceding the election, except that if qualified to vote in an election district prior to removal of residence, he or she may, if a resident of Pennsylvania, vote in the election district from which he or she removed his or her residence within sixty (60) days preceding the election.

The change under discussion has not been enacted by the General assembly, it is an EO by Shapiro, the Dem governor

Notice their constitution doesn't mention ANY power of the governor over how registration is conducted

Edit: Anyone not being deliberately obtuse can see from the context that 'elector' is used to refer to eligible voters, not in the Electoral College sense
    Without knowing the details of the PA governor's proposal, it is hard to make a decision about it. The Pennsylvania legislator has already provided numerous means of registering voters.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Text of Section 1:

I found this. It does not specify opt in or opt out as part of the process. Where are you finding it?

Which says

(b) Process.--

(1) The Department of Transportation shall provide for an application for voter registration as part of a driver's license application.
    It would seem obtuse to believe based on the process Section the legislature ever spelled out the application but rather left it up to the dept of transportation which would be under executive authority?

Maybe there is more out there. I admit I am internet search challenged

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom